A&H

Eventful game back

The Referee Store
I'm not even going to waste my time with a detailed response :) All I will say is that your response was quite unfair, but unsurprising,

The reason I referee is because I was fed up with seeing game after game being postponed each week due to no referee being available. 1 junior league structure here (The Trelawny League) is set up as one Premier Division and 5 other divisions. Each week there are at least 9 games with no appointed referee. One week there was even 19, another at 18! That's absurd. So, I set out to make it better. I singlehandedly recruited 12 new referees and got them (including myself) on the ref course back in October. I'm doing the same again now for April.

I am a player. I love playing. I'm a referee because I am fed up with the games being postponed, but I've also begun to enjoy refereeing. I have no doubt that when I've finished playing, I'll go on to be a referee :) in the meantime, I'm happy with the balance :)

Last edited:
Padfoot - perhaps should have reply banned you last night, but it was late and I was very tired. We don't need the warped gospel according to padfoot, thanks. I look forward to reading your inevitable pm.

Now let's calm it down and get back to op please.

Reactions: DB
I am a player. I love playing. I'm a referee because I am fed up with the games being postponed, but I've also begun to enjoy refereeing. I have no doubt that when I've finished playing, I'll go on to be a referee :) in the meantime, I'm happy with the balance :)
Good. Don't quit either. At some point you might need to make a decision to focus just on your refereeing - but that's only a maybe.Plenty of referees are involved in the game in multiple capacities. Local first grade referees in my old local area were often involved in playing and coaching. Used to be a nightmare for me as an appointments manager (while playing, coaching and refereeing) with 160+ referees and up to 800 matches!!

My first attempt at 'quoting', so forgive me if this goes wrong! :p

If his young and learning then my apologies If thou can work on stamping your authority early doors Matt that will sometimes help how tall you Matt if you don't mind me asking

No worries - I understand it. I've made some mistakes in this game, I know that, but I'm on here because I want to avoid making those same mistakes again, and picking up tips from those of you who have been there and done it is the only way that's going to happen. I don't think it was an issue of stamping my authority early on. I'm 23 but I look about 18 so that's something I have to do every game early on because players see me and immediately think they can take the piss. The first 5/10 minutes has always been about that for me, making strong decisions confidently and with conviction, setting the tone for the rest of the game. In this particular game, the captain (who was obviously very experienced) has just decided to try his luck, and he got away with it. I'm about 6ft - don't see how that makes a difference though? :)

At this point I'd be feeling pretty validated with your 5 cautions if I were you.
Although you may feel you could have shown different colours, 5 cautions is not to be sniffed at and that team has been left in no doubt they're behaviour has been unacceptable on the day.
I doubt anyone is coming away from that game thinking they "got one over on the ref"

Yeah it did to be fair. I tried to explain to him that if they were constantly finding themselves in trouble with the FA that maybe he should look at the way he's coaching his players to play rather than looking to blame the referee every time. Probably should have kept that one to myself :p The captain knows he talked me out of at least one red (the OFFINABUS), other than that, I'd agree.

Last edited:
What it is about your height I was going to say because I'm a small referee and I look younger than 26 so really you could used your height as a little bit of presence as well it probably med a little bit of difference to how the players perceived you do you have confidence issues as well mate

What it is about your height I was going to say because I'm a small referee and I look younger than 26 so really you could used your height as a little bit of presence as well it probably med a little bit of difference to how the players perceived you do you have confidence issues as well mate

Ah ok, fair comment. I don't struggle with confidence - I'm a musician and a martial arts instructor, so I'm used to performing/talking etc in front of groups of people, and being in charge. Like I said, players do tend to try it on early in the game because I look young, but I've made a habit of stamping my authority down as soon as I can, so there's no doubt that I'm in charge.

Good on you then mate for your next game if players start being a pain in bum obviously tell them 3 times to leave you loan first time obviously just say something in there ear while running second then get the captain in saying if you don't tell this guy to leave me alone the next one I will not give you that chance he will be getting a card

I'm 5'7 and ten stone.... I puff out my chest and speak in a deeper voice than usual

Yea some people have different ways my way is like a quick shout of no!!! Move away and then obviously I've been told a good way to deal with dissent is run away then if they run some 30 yards to give it me then I'm cautioning

I applaud the OP's self-analysis of the match, and it demonstrates the mind-set that will mould a great referee.

Thanks @Mewcenary, it's something I always try and do after every game, regardless of how well (or badly :p) I feel it's gone. I usually find I can identify at least a couple of things that I could have done better, and if I can identify where my weaknesses are as a referee, that's half the battle.

Erm, where in the laws does it say it is implicit?
You obviously don't understand what implicit means. It means that something is not stated, but can be inferred. In this case, it means that when the law says that it is an offence to deliberately handle the ball, it is implicit in that statement that it is not an offence when the handling is not deliberate.

You are inventing though when you talk about a reflex being some kind of exception.
If the same thing happens and the defender is in the middle of the goal, on the goal line, and puts his/her hands up near his/her head and the hands block the ball then you are probably giving a red and pen, right... ?
I don't think that situation, as described, would meet the definition of an involuntary reflex. However if I thought that a particular incident was a case of handling involuntarily (i.e. not deliberately) then no matter where it occurred and no matter whether it prevented a goal or not, I would not give a free-kick/penalty for it since the law does not allow for it.

You seem to be entirely missing the point here. The whole crux of handling offences is that the handling is only punished if it is deliberate. I was talking about an action (an involuntary reflex) which by definition, is not deliberate. And if the action is not deliberate, it cannot be a handling offence.

Last edited:
My point is, and I did not state it explicitly, that I do not see how a player putting their arms up in front of their face can be classed/seen/interpreted as a non-deliberate action. I hear "reflex". Is it? Isn't it a player deliberately blocking the ball from hitting them? At what competence level or speed does this become a reflex, and who can judge this.

What I did say, and I will say again, there is no exception in the law for self defence... and there is no exception in the law for a reflex. It is poorly worded.

(I obviously do understand what implicit means;))

So, are you trying to argue that if a ball is blasted at your face from 3 yards away that you don't have a reflex to block your face?

Just man up and take one to the nose eh ;).... No chance on my part..

So, are you trying to argue that if a ball is blasted at your face from 3 yards away that you don't have a reflex to block your face?
I am not trying to argue. I am trying to establish what it says in the laws and where we are actually using our common sense, and how to interpret.
It is strange that with handball, we do have an allowance to consider how close and what speed. These are the two lines to consider:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

At three yards away this is still confusing. The player is moving their hand towards the ball (and their face!) and the ball is not unexpected, otherwise how could the player be able to react in this way.
There doesn't seem to be an allowance for a reflex, or personal protection... probably should be clarified in future texts to save me from the next round!

If you think those are the only 2 lines to consider then you may wish to review the Additional Advice before you continue :)
How can a reflexive action be deliberate?
I assume that if the ball struck the hands of somebody protecting their crown jewels in the wall, you'd also award a PK for that then?

I assume that if the ball struck the hands of somebody protecting their crown jewels in the wall, you'd also award a PK for that then?
I've just started refereeing womens' football and have needed to extend my tolerance level for 'handball' which is in fact simply protecting sensitive parts of the body .....

Back