A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Brych is on his game (as I thought he was here), his communication and management are very good. He looked very confident today when dealing with players. No doubt he was helped by the score line for much of the game in terms of lack of s***housery, but he was much more like the Felix Brych I'm used to seeing today.

Agree, he was top draw tonight. Might have been a couple of free kicks wrong but he was in complete control of the game and kept a low profile that helped make it such a great match.

The Referee Store
His whistling was surely over the top. Multi-beeping every throw in, whistling the drop balls, multi-multi-beeping the subs.
Felix must have made a record amount of parps in this game. Surely too much.

In the end, it turned out fine. He followed the tournament foul line, let a lot go and didn't use cards.
Yes he was anonymous. He also let Olmo get repeatedly hacked and missed a few cast iron yellows.
I thought AR1 was the star (along with Pedri and Olmo). His offside flag timing was great and his one foul flag wiggle was magic. (AR2 was again shonky and flagged one offside way too early as the ball went out).

Is it just me or are the referees signals poor or non existent?
It depends.
Generally, at higher levels, referees are discourgaged from over signalling.
For example, obvious goal kicks we're told now not to signal them.
I've noticed free kick signals have been not the direction but pointing at the offence, but again that might be under direction when the offence and the direction is clear and obvious

Hate to be the "told you so" guy, but Brych is so off the boil today. Just wandering around letting things happen, need to be taking control or Italy will just run the clock down.
I’m not sure who you’re telling, Brych was brilliant last night. Let the game flow and kept control of the players. He breezed through the game

One thing that occurred to me yesterday was how unfair the process was to determine the ends and order for penalties. Italy got both the end and first kick, 2 but advantages which seems unfair. I get the ref 'chose' the ends by assigning one side of the coin each end but still seems like one side should not get both advantages at the same time

One thing that occurred to me yesterday was how unfair the process was to determine the ends and order for penalties. Italy got both the end and first kick, 2 but advantages which seems unfair. I get the ref 'chose' the ends by assigning one side of the coin each end but still seems like one side should not get both advantages at the same time
You are assuming that the 'away' end will always be behind one of the goals...
Old Trafford, Elland Road, villa Park, vitality stadium all use touchline stands (or a corner at Old Trafford.) and other stadia only allocate part of a stand behind the goal, Ewood Park, boundary park are a coupe I have visited.
At James' Park fans are so high up they make no difference.

You are assuming that the 'away' end will always be behind one of the goals...
Old Trafford, Elland Road, villa Park, vitality stadium all use touchline stands (or a corner at Old Trafford.) and other stadia only allocate part of a stand behind the goal, Ewood Park, boundary park are a coupe I have visited.
At James' Park fans are so high up they make no difference.

That's absolutely true, but why not give the teams the choice anyway? Take it away from the gallowgate/Stratford ends at the very least (given the opportunity)

I’m not sure who you’re telling, Brych was brilliant last night. Let the game flow and kept control of the players. He breezed through the game
I think that's kind of my point.

In the period when Italy had scored and were trying to kill the game, he was just breezing through it, doing nothing much at all. You can get away with "letting the game flow" when that's what both teams want - when one team want the game to go and the other team want it to stop as much as possible, you need to be more of a presence. And as I said in the post you quoted, I just felt like he was too anonymous for that specific scenario he found himself in.

It didn't present well on TV either. At least I don't think the BBC commentators (and certainly not Logan later on the Crouch show) had a clue how the coin tossing worked. They didn't realise that there was no winning/losing captain for the first toss.
And it's a strange inconsistency with the tossing laws between kick offs and KFTPM. In the end worked out nice for Italy.

Reactions: es1
It didn't present well on TV either. At least I don't think the BBC commentators (and certainly not Logan later on the Crouch show) had a clue how the coin tossing worked. They didn't realise that there was no winning/losing captain for the first toss.
And it's a strange inconsistency with the tossing laws between kick offs and KFTPM. In the end worked out nice for Italy.

While a simple reading of the Laws would alleviate the issue mentioned here, I understand that we can't expect pundits to actually do that.

At this level, I definitely like the idea of one toss with the option being choice of kicking order (first or second) OR choosing the end to kick. At our levels, the chances of the referee choosing an end for whatever reason are probably higher.

Here in the US, under high school rules (keeping in mind that we have a completely different "rule book" for high school) the referee has the sole authority to choose the goal. Now it doesn't say HOW we can make that determination, so we could flip a coin if we wanted. In most cases, I select the goal that's farthest away from the home team's student section. We have pretty strict sportsmanship guidelines to follow in high school, and I do follow them. So if I can pick the goal farthest away from the home team's students (and they don't follow us down to the goal), then I will do that. Our high school state tournament is at a multi-field complex where there are 3 games occurring at a time, so if I ever am in that position I will pick the goal away from the primary walkways to remove distractions.

At this level, I definitely like the idea of one toss with the option being choice of kicking order (first or second) OR choosing the end to kick. At our levels, the chances of the referee choosing an end for whatever reason are probably higher.
Not a bad idea for games with paying clientele. At the level I do, I don't think I've ever had a game with potential KFTM in which I didn't determine that a particular goal would be the "right" goal to use so that there would be no coin flip. On public fields, it's just uncommon that the goals are equal (but unlike a stadium with fans, it isn't an un-equality that favors one team or the other).

Being home and isolating has left me with little to do all day but get really really nervous

I felt Croatia were favourites in 2018 so losing wasn't so disapointing. Same can't be said now. Go get it done England, a nation awaits

Is it just me or are the referees signals poor or non existent?

The obsession around perfect signalling is a bit of an English thing. Other countries have changed over years, for example until fairly recently German assistants would flag a throw in horizontally, but there still isn't the same level of focus as there is with English officials. I think it stems from years ago when two of the competencies for 7 to 6 and 6 to 5 (they were sections then not competencies) were signalling and appearance. So if your signals weren't perfectly formed, or your shirt was untucked or your sock tops not gleaming white, you couldn't get promoted. Other countries rightly focussed more on whether they were actually any good as a referee, and England have now come more round to that way of thinking.

Also, as James L has said, signalling changes the higher you go. As an example, at L4 I would get pulled apart if I didn't signal every throw-in, but at L3 you are told to not signal unless you have to. If it is on your diagonal and you are leading then yes signal, otherwise leave it to your assistant.

As an example, at L4 I would get pulled apart if I didn't signal every throw-in, but at L3 you are told to not signal unless you have to
That'll be right. Totally and utterly stupid

FWIW, TV Refs signal differently and rightly so; they have the stadium and TV audience in mind
One thing I've noticed in the Euros, is Refs constantly pointing at a foul. We know where the foul occurred thanks!
Also, whistle tone, almost everything gets a blast that is prolonged by normal expectation. Everyone needs to hear the whistle I guess

Something slightly OT but... I hear on the radio lots about last night being one of the greatest ever games. Personally I thought it was achingly dull. Italy didn't show up. Spain were like late period Arsene's Arsenal. The game got slower and slower. Pedri and Olmo were exciting but by the same token the Spain goalkeeper and Oyarzabal had no right to be playing in semi final of any tournament - they were atrocious, comfortably the worst players on the park and the reason Spain didn't progress. There was no great drama, Spain had a few poorly executed shots, both sides were not world-class in the final third. The was no real excitement until the KFTPM toss up - which probably won Italy the tie. Absolutely no way a great game for me Jeff.

:)

The obsession around perfect signalling is a bit of an English thing.
And U.S. I do think sharp signals have real value in establishing credibility, but obviously not the number one priority.

One thing I've noticed in the Euros, is Refs constantly pointing at a foul. We know where the foul occurred thanks!
A lot of fouls are getting called on a long delay to see if there might be advantage. In those cases, the point makes a lot of sense. (And I can see how doing it for those could flow over to other calls.)

Also, whistle tone, almost everything gets a blast that is prolonged by normal expectation. Everyone needs to hear the whistle I guess
True in some games, but not all. I particularly liked someone's whistle use (maybe it was Lahoz?) where the very matter of fact short tweets were regularly used on "everyone saw that silly foul" calls, with degrees of energy ramping up from there. While Brych was very active with the whistle, which is not my style, it seemed to work for him. Shrug.

That'll be right. Totally and utterly stupid

FWIW, TV Refs signal differently and rightly so; they have the stadium and TV audience in mind

I've heard of this convention, and I like it (especially at higher age groups).
1) Referee always signals out of bounds items in his/her quadrant.
2) If it's an obvious OOB in the AR's quadrant, no need for R to signal.
3) R signals on any close/disputed items in the AR's quadrant.

It's true that there's no need to signal a goal kick when the attacker hammers a ball 15 feet over the bar with no one within 15 yards of him. The dual signal by R and AR can show team unity and support on those disputed plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back