A&H

Euros 2024

Nice to see it's not just at grassroots where corner flags are in the wrong position.
I'm interested to know why it is wrong, as the LOTG itself appears (to me at least) to be ambiguous.
Note that I'm a "Ref Dad" (my son is a young referee), rather than a qualified referee myself, so please go easy on me if I'm missing something obvious.

The text in the (2024-2025 English) LOTG says*:
"A flagpost, at least 1.5 m (5 ft) high, with a non-pointed top and a flag must be placed at each corner." [8. Flagposts]

Since "the lines are part of the area they enclose" [2. Field markings], the corner (of the field of play) is clearly at the intersection of the outside edge of the marked touch and goal lines.

However, the image in the LOTG [7. The corner area] shows the flag placed at the intersection of the centre of the marked touch and goal lines.

Similarly, when defining the corner arc, the image [2. Field markings] shows a line starting at the intersection of the centre of the marked touch and goal lines, but the text in the same section reads "Measurements are from the outside of the lines as the lines are part of the area they enclose".

Clearly the circumstances in which any of the above will matter are very few & far between, but it does seem ambiguous to me (and therefore perhaps not surprising that there is variation in practise).

Interestingly, I've only once noticed halfway flags being used at grassroots, and they had bizarrely been placed 'on the pitch', slightly inside the touchlines, when they are obviously supposed to be set back well away from the lines. They presented an interesting obstruction for wingers running up the line. 🤣

*NB LOTG quotes in italics, emphasis throughout is mine.

A&H International
I'm interested to know why it is wrong, as the LOTG itself appears (to me at least) to be ambiguous.
Note that I'm a "Ref Dad" (my son is a young referee), rather than a qualified referee myself, so please go easy on me if I'm missing something obvious.

The text in the (2024-2025 English) LOTG says*:
"A flagpost, at least 1.5 m (5 ft) high, with a non-pointed top and a flag must be placed at each corner." [8. Flagposts]

Since "the lines are part of the area they enclose" [2. Field markings], the corner (of the field of play) is clearly at the intersection of the outside edge of the marked touch and goal lines.

However, the image in the LOTG [7. The corner area] shows the flag placed at the intersection of the centre of the marked touch and goal lines.

Similarly, when defining the corner arc, the image [2. Field markings] shows a line starting at the intersection of the centre of the marked touch and goal lines, but the text in the same section reads "Measurements are from the outside of the lines as the lines are part of the area they enclose".

Clearly the circumstances in which any of the above will matter are very few & far between, but it does seem ambiguous to me (and therefore perhaps not surprising that there is variation in practise).

Interestingly, I've only once noticed halfway flags being used at grassroots, and they had bizarrely been placed 'on the pitch', slightly inside the touchlines, when they are obviously supposed to be set back well away from the lines. They presented an interesting obstruction for wingers running up the line. 🤣

*NB LOTG quotes in italics, emphasis throughout is mine.

I was about about to post something similar but not as elaborate. For me nothing wrong with the placement of that corner flag and in fact it looked very right.

The diagram.in the lotg contradicts the wording slightly and it's not the first time.

I get half way flags quite often (especially at synthetic fields) and from time to time they are placed on the line, though not at synthetic as they have permanent placeholders for flags.

I don’t see a lot of half-way flags—at least half the time I do, I have to move them back because they are put on the line.

I’m curious if anyone has ever found them useful? It seems to me that on a well marked feel like the pros play on, they don’t add anything. And the poorly marked fields are the least likely to have the half-way flags.

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Germany vs Denmark game, so didn’t see how MO did it. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the correct restart method following a temporary suspension in the game (e.g. due to lightning, such as in this case)?
  2. What is the correct procedure in the event of thunder & lightning?

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Germany vs Denmark game, so didn’t see how MO did it. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the correct restart method following a temporary suspension in the game (e.g. due to lightning, such as in this case)?
  2. What is the correct procedure in the event of thunder & lightning?
1. However play was originally stopped (free kick, thrown in, dropped ball if in play etc
2. Take the players off and find shelter immediately. Trees don’t count as shelter, that is more dangerous.

Posting with 10 minutes to go. This refusal to change players until it’s too late has been repeated as after this game, it’s one mistake too many. For this reason, and this reason only I’m regrettably shifting to the “time to change the management” point of view.

In a slump, you have to do something different. You can’t keep doing the same things. And that’s not happening here.

Am not English but baffled - and slightly saddened - by the way Southgate has lost all good faith by just having no Plan B.

Lol… as I type they equalise

Posting with 10 minutes to go. This refusal to change players until it’s too late has been repeated as after this game, it’s one mistake too many. For this reason, and this reason only I’m regrettably shifting to the “time to change the management” point of view.

In a slump, you have to do something different. You can’t keep doing the same things. And that’s not happening here.

90+7

I stand by this comment!

90+7

I stand by this comment!
Even if England go on to win the tournament it will be in spite of the G-man. Reckless team selection, reckless in-game management, again. Saka at LB. Toney on at 93.

And this referee team has been poor. Major error for missed second yellow. Second major error for missed second yellow. Lino1 is down for flagging the wrong way.

It really really doesn’t bode well for the rest of the tournament even if we scrape through today. Imagine only thinking 2 minutes is enough time to give your sub striker.

Cracking spot from Orsato just now to not give a foul. The Portugal player convinced me it was a potential RC for SFP 🤣

Back