A&H

Equipment/Pedometer Advice?

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
I would like to ask some advice from you guys. I am looking for a 'pedometer' of sorts to help me with training but I seem to be asking for something that is not available. So, here's the features I would like:

A watch (or similar) that will:

Measure distance covered
Average/max speed achieved
Stopwatch

To enable me to plan my training sessions, and adjust during the session ie: completed the exercises planned, but could do with another couple of laps to achieve 'match distance'.

ALSO, come next season, to be able to wear it on right wrist as continuous match timer (stopwatch) whilst also tracking distance/speed - to build up an 'average' performance during a match and therefore target my training towards that.

Have just been bamboozled and confused by the guys at Rebel Sports, with all kinds of amazing bluetooth GPS heart rate monitors that would mean paying a couple of hundies more for stuff I'd probably never use, and not even tell me the time!

Can't use a phone app, as I would never take my phone onto the pitch, but I would like to be able to read the data while I'm training and adjust the session as I go. For match use, just the stopwatch read during the game, but would like to be able to see distance etc afterwards.

Anyone know of anything ?????

The Referee Store
Matty , I know there are a few watches out there a few watches out that are all singing and dancing , I will try to get an idea of the most popular ones later today for you !!!

I tend to use the 10 yard multiples system of refereeing , buy staying in the centre circle for as long as possible .......;) that way you can just buy a cheap watch that actually tells you the time..........as for training ................!!!! :foot:

The obvious choices are the polar range or the garmin range. But they are not cheap

I know you said you would prefer not to have a gps watch BUT I use the garmin forerunner 220 and the thing is amazing for games or training. Can display whatever info you want (including as little as you want), can be set to intervals (time or distance) for training, with access to a computer (or iPad/iPhone) displays an array of information around work rate, distances, speeds, map of areas covered etc the online free garmin account even let's you break down your match to the second (more or less) see you see where you were on the pitch, how fast you were moving, in what direction and heartrate.

Perhaps it is overkill but it's fascinating.

I use the polar RS400
I swear by it. HR monitor, pedometer
Measures speed, HR, distance etc etc easy to download onto PC to view your performance etc
Can be used for training and during a game

I don't mind a GPS watch, most seem to use GPS for distance now anyway, it's the actual funcionality I'm after. I know my own personality, so don't want to see distance/heart rate or wnything during a game, or I would start thinking 'need to slow down/run less/recover' etc, but would like it to record distance/speed for later analysis.

I am on a budget, but for the right piece of kit may be able to stretch a bit.

Thanks for the help, will look into the options and if we can get them over here.

The forerunner lets you set how much info you see. Could just show stop watch time if that is what you want while recording the other info behind the scenes.

Can show between 1 and 3 bits of info on any one screen.

If mine broke I would buy another one in a heart beat.

@Ross that looks very cool, until I saw the price in it. Man alive that's expensive!

The obvious choices are the polar range or the garmin range. But they are not cheap

I know you said you would prefer not to have a gps watch BUT I use the garmin forerunner 220 and the thing is amazing for games or training. Can display whatever info you want (including as little as you want), can be set to intervals (time or distance) for training, with access to a computer (or iPad/iPhone) displays an array of information around work rate, distances, speeds, map of areas covered etc the online free garmin account even let's you break down your match to the second (more or less) see you see where you were on the pitch, how fast you were moving, in what direction and heartrate.

Perhaps it is overkill but it's fascinating.
How does it map the pitch?

As in is it just a line with no pith around it or can you calibrate it so it knows where the pitch is?

It's gps so it knows where the pitch is and gives you the satellite image (like used in google) and tracks your movement on to it.

All done automatically.

To clarify though, the watch doesn't do that, that bit is done once you sync and upload your watch data.

This is done easily via iPhone app and Bluetooth or using the charging cradle connected to laptop.

You get the option to create multi pages which you can easily switch through. For football I use 1 page; stop watch, distance in km and current hr.

There are many other options from pace, lap times, averages, max etc.

Also has lap function which you can set the distance of or press a button when in use to set manually (handy for breaking down performance) and training options such as setting intervals (distance or time) which is handy if you are training for fitness tests etc.

Don't get the one with the premium hr strap though - it's a bit naff and mine broke. The cheaper normal hr strap seems more reliable and sturdy.

Might help if I give you a link to my last game data - I'll sort it out later so you can take a look.

Don't bother with a pedometer, those things are right useless. Get a Garmin or other HRT monitor.

I went for the garmin forerunner 10, entry level, £70.00 from Amazon, does the job, would probably buy a more advanced version next time as I use it for running generally.

Basic pedometer with acceleration etc try the Adidas micoach. On offer at 20 online. Has lace clip so just download the app. Sorted.

Back