The Ref Stop

Entry Fee

Chloe

Hi all,
I just wanted to check what is normal procedure. I usually take someone to games with me (dad/partner). Are they expected to pay entry fees to the games I officiate on or is it normal to bring 1 guest for ‘free’.
Thanks

The Ref Stop
Hi all,
I just wanted to check what is normal procedure. I usually take someone to games with me (dad/partner). Are they expected to pay entry fees to the games I officiate on or is it normal to bring 1 guest for ‘free’.
Thanks

(Assuming your post related to step 6 or above football)
As far as I'm aware, clubs are under no obligation to allow you to bring a guest, however most will do. I would always ask when I receive the match confirmation and a club has never said no when I've asked, however I have received match confirmations saying 'we don't offer guest tickets to officials'.

If you ask nicely clubs will normally let you bring a guest and they'll put that person's name on the door so that the turnstile operator knows to let them in without paying. Some clubs will really look after them, inviting them into the boardroom, others will be a bit more distant and just let them in. Not sure I've ever come across a club that won't let a referee bring a guest.

If you ask nicely clubs will normally let you bring a guest and they'll put that person's name on the door so that the turnstile operator knows to let them in without paying. Some clubs will really look after them, inviting them into the boardroom, others will be a bit more distant and just let them in. Not sure I've ever come across a club that won't let a referee bring a guest.
My match confirmation from a step 2 club in an FA cup game recently said 'Please note we do not offer guest tickets for match officials so please do not ask to avoid embarrassment'.

FA competitions can be different as it's a shared gate, they aren't supposed to let in freebies. Although that particular note doesn't seem competition specific

Yes. I recently did an FA competition match and the confirmation said they only allow access for coach/mentors/observers on FA Comp matches.

(Assuming your post related to step 6 or above football)
As far as I'm aware, clubs are under no obligation to allow you to bring a guest, however most will do. I would always ask when I receive the match confirmation and a club has never said no when I've asked, however I have received match confirmations saying 'we don't offer guest tickets to officials'.
It's about the show of courtesy and respect for their rules (as we expect of them for ours). And it's not just about bringing guests. I have had clubs offering free meal and drinks vouchers from their canteen, win or lose.

Calling in advance and asking is courteous and most clubs would be happy to return favour and bend their rules.

In my experience, from when doing Combined Counties, as long as you ask they've not normally had a problem.
Before I passed my driving test, a lot of the time it has been because they (my guest) have been my ride to and from games if I've not used public transport.

Only once was I refused, politely, and I accepted it. I paid the entrance fee for them that day as I don't see why my guest should have to pay to help me.

I appreciate it may not seem much, but some clubs, that extra payment at the gate helps big time financially.
Most of the time, when my guest was allowed in, they tend to spend more at the bar/kiosk anyway so the club wins a different way.

Officially I have to be mindful because of FA guidelines of paying for a lottery ticket at grounds but with the hospitality I am very often afforded I pay anyway and if I win, I would not collect because that’s not why I pay. I did once pay significantly more because a club had a burglary of equipment so I contributed to crowd funding and I did receive a season ticket, but I never used it and when I was appointed there once in an official capacity, I didn’t need to use it.

Sometimes referees don't help themselves or their colleagues. One National League team banned referees from bringing guests for quite some time after one referee brought 4 guests, which the club had been fine with, but they weren't fine with them using terrible language in the boardroom and hoovering up all of the food and drink.

In terms of hospitality I always found it was the clubs that didn't have the proverbial pot to p*** in that were most hospitable to match officials. My local club, who at the time got tiny crowds, had a terrible pitch and not very good results, were well known for how well they looked after guests, to the extent you would almost always find at least one of the league management committee there at their games. On the flip side, Thurrock, who folder in 2017, had a sign in the match officials' changing room clearly stating they had a policy that they are not welcome in the board room and they would be served sandwiches in their changing room. And at another National League side, if they'd won you got your sandwiches at a reserved table in the bar, if they lost, especially if there had been any controversy, the door opened and a tray of sandwiches was chucked onto the table next to it, you didn't even see the person doing it.

Hi all,
Thanks
What level of football are you talking? It all depends on level, age, clubs etc. I've never had an issue (albeit I'm U18 so I doubt the club is allowed to say no). I had a Step 7 game the other week where my dad was actually also given 2 free drinks, and free food afterwards with me (why on earth anyone would pay £12.50 to watch Step 7 is beyond me). We didn't end up eating because we were in a rush, and he did donate to the club afterwards, but I find generally most clubs are fine. I would definitely ask beforehand though, to be on the safe side.

Sometimes referees don't help themselves or their colleagues. One National League team banned referees from bringing guests for quite some time after one referee brought 4 guests, which the club had been fine with, but they weren't fine with them using terrible language in the boardroom and hoovering up all of the food and drink.

In terms of hospitality I always found it was the clubs that didn't have the proverbial pot to p*** in that were most hospitable to match officials. My local club, who at the time got tiny crowds, had a terrible pitch and not very good results, were well known for how well they looked after guests, to the extent you would almost always find at least one of the league management committee there at their games. On the flip side, Thurrock, who folder in 2017, had a sign in the match officials' changing room clearly stating they had a policy that they are not welcome in the board room and they would be served sandwiches in their changing room. And at another National League side, if they'd won you got your sandwiches at a reserved table in the bar, if they lost, especially if there had been any controversy, the door opened and a tray of sandwiches was chucked onto the table next to it, you didn't even see the person doing it.
The issue with Thurrock came about because they had an issue with a Referee etc, though it was a shame they couldn’t see past that and therefore it affected everyone that followed. Grays are due to return to that ground, if they haven’t already. Rushall Olympic and Peterborough Sports in NLN and probably with 2 of the lowest budgets etc are the most hospitable anyone could ask for.

The issue with Thurrock came about because they had an issue with a Referee etc, though it was a shame they couldn’t see past that and therefore it affected everyone that followed. Grays are due to return to that ground, if they haven’t already. Rushall Olympic and Peterborough Sports in NLN and probably with 2 of the lowest budgets etc are the most hospitable anyone could ask for.
Just checked, they are sharing at Tilbury this season and hope to move to Ship Lane next season. That was a very decent ground for that level of football, so pleased it is being brought back to use. Plus it couldn't possibly be any better located to get to.

Fylde were always quite difficult to deal with on matters liken this. Their hospitality was either amazing or non-existent. But there was never a won or loss reason behind it.

Stockport always gave you a full pizza to yourself, piping hot in changing rooms when you walked in at full time. So could never complain.

But for the most part as @RustyRef said, it was always the clubs who had sod all that looked after you the best.

Most clubs will allow a guest, some won’t. It is what it is. Ask nicely if/when club confirm and see what happens. Worst they say is no.

Worst case scenario your guest has to pay their entry. Is what it is.

Borrow them a midlayer with a badge on it and say they are a coach. ;)

Back