A&H

England v Slovakia

A&H International
I thought he was generally fine. Very difficult to argue about any of the first half cautions, perhaps the Mainoo one wouldn't be given in England, but in a UEFA game they expect that to be given. Kucka should probably have got a second caution for the foul on the edge of his own penalty area, but the next foul he committed was at worst careless, that would only be a caution if you were going down the PI route.

Do you ever get bored of playing Devil's advocate?

I thought he was generally fine. Very difficult to argue about any of the first half cautions, perhaps the Mainoo one wouldn't be given in England, but in a UEFA game they expect that to be given. Kucka should probably have got a second caution for the foul on the edge of his own penalty area, but the next foul he committed was at worst careless, that would only be a caution if you were going down the PI route.
Even if you choose to support all the first half cautions , the inconsistent choice to then not give a second yellow to Kucka is a critical game changing error. Which stops it being 'generally fine' for me

I'll make slight adjustment to this

In some games if you don't make any bookings in the for 10 you can just watch the rest of the game go to ****e and nothing you can do about it.
Was thinking very similar this morning...

It's a very difficult skill to know when to caution and when not to. And even the most experienced, including this game, can sometimes not find the right balance.

Caution the wrong challenge 1st, or too early, and you can end up with a card fest, don't caution the right challenge 1st, or too late and it's the same. We aim to land somewhere in the middle so out interventions are effective in managing the players. And of course there are the times where nothing we do will affect it.

It kind of comes back around to the exchange of posts we had last week about how whilst we are not responsible, the players are, the interventions we make can be key to delivering the game in a manner that suits the teams, the competition, and the laws together.

All in all it was a strange game, it doesn't feel like an 8 yellow card game with large parts of the game played fairly, but certainly feels like there was probably a red card missed for both teams.

Last edited:
Me and you are usually on the same side of the debate but I can’t agree on that.
He gave several fouls that simply weren’t fouls at all (and I’m not talking about the game management safe defensive free kicks, some were attacking) and using the same bar he has set with his other cautions, I think both of the challenges by the man already on a caution warranted a second caution. With that said, I wasn't convinced his first caution was necessary, but that was the bar that he had set.
Additionally, as I've just said elsewhere on the forum, he created potential controversy for himself in Extra Time when a second ball ended up on the field of play. He let play go on, correct in law as the ball didn't interfere with play, but only after putting his whistle to his mouth he then saw that Slovakia had played a good through ball just as the other ball was kicked out and it seems maybe one or two players expected the stoppage. I think if you put your whistle to your mouth there, you have to follow it through.

Even if you choose to support all the first half cautions , the inconsistent choice to then not give a second yellow to Kucka is a critical game changing error. Which stops it being 'generally fine' for me
Yeah, that is a fair point. "Generally fine" probably wasn't the right terminology, I was trying to make the point that for all there were a lot of early cautions none of them were in any way wrong.

Plus some alcohol was involved 😂

I was trying to make the point that for all there were a lot of early cautions none of them were in any way wrong.

You still be absolutely incorrect then.

The 2nd caution of the game for Mainoo isn't a caution in a church league.

Last edited:
Classic.
"I disagree so you must be biased"
"Everyone has blinkers except for me!"

Next you'll be threatening to lock the thread 👍
Where have I threatened to lock the thread? Where have I said that anyone disagreeing with me must be wrong.

Look, I am getting fed up of this constant sniping. And I know that other members are as they have told me. So cut it out or it will only go one way.

1719871005986231503529348758204.jpg

What a bizarrely specific directive. Where do they come up with these random crusades?

Anyway Mainoo hasn't landed on anyone. Surely stepping on someone's foot isn't a mandatory caution.

View attachment 7385

What a bizarrely specific directive. Where do they come up with these random crusades?

Anyway Mainoo hasn't landed on anyone. Surely stepping on someone's foot isn't a mandatory caution.
Well that image clearly doesn't how the point of contact. The Italian player's foot planted and Mainoo landed on top of it, that is, by UEFA directives, a mandatory caution. Doesn't mean it would be an English grass roots game, but UEFA set guidelines for their officials in competitions and this is one of them, and has been for a long time now.

Back