A&H

England v Czeh

The attacker is running in towards goal and a defender, or arguably two defenders, run across him. That is the whole definition of impeding and I'm not really sure what Sterling could do, would you expect him to just stop running and go "OK then guys, you've beat me"?

And are the defenders meant to stand aside and say, there you go, have a free run in on goal. You cant go through folk

The Referee Store
And are the defenders meant to stand aside and say, there you go, have a free run in on goal. You cant go through folk
No. But they could have attempted to challenge for the ball. I think I would be Comfortable with maybe one of them shielding the ball too. Two of them, both cutting across, sandwiching and ultimately tripping the attacker, careless imo.

Great pic. Shows the totally unnatural position of Sterlings knee,which he himself has put there, initiated the foul.
You cant run through folk.
Not just a dive this, but a well trained dive.

Page 104:
View attachment 3307

Tripping here:

View attachment 3306
[/QUOTE]
That to me shows him trying to jump over a foul challenged being tripped. Happens all the time, player slides in but attacker skips over. In tandem Other player backing in with arm across. There are two fouls there easy.

I still dont see a trip. I do see Sterling initiating the contact. Sterling sees he has no route to the ball so throws himself over the defenders knee.
Knowing fine well, its going to look like a pk
Which, it did.

Watched it again. Even the two hands out to cusion the fall
Someone posted last week about signs of a dive and what the body does etc..
His hands plant perfectly like the swimmer launching into the pool at the race...

If your tripped mid flight when you are running, you end up like a bag of spuds, limbs everywhere....

As someone with a fair amount of pace, it's impossible to just stop dead in that scenario. He has to do something. He is focused on the ball. Has only one intention of getting it. And imo is impeded in his attempt to.
Have to agree to disagree. I can't call this simulation though, I think that's unfair. I am not RS biggest fan, nor am do I have much interest in the national team so I am looking at this objectively.

Awwwwwww, such a comfy nice landing, both arms out perfectly to cusion the fall.....only possible if you yourself know what you are doing,03FFB0FB-5AB8-4E3A-A7B3-65CE9FF310BA.png

Arms coming out to break a fall are a natural reflex. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Even in the most blatant of fouls the arms will come out to break a fall. It's like trying to eat a sugar donut without kicking your lips. An impossible action to prevent.

Arms coming out to break a fall are a natural reflex. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Even in the most blatant of fouls the arms will come out to break a fall. It's like trying to eat a sugar donut without kicking your lips. An impossible action to prevent.

Yes, they do come out but not perfectly as Sterling, unless is he who is in control of the action
I think its textbook cheating.

The perfect dive.

If you run , or even trip over your carpet, you end up split head, sore shoulder and sore neck.
Not like a plane coming into land

Anywhere that does not involve throwimg himself into the defenders.

One image is just as Sterling jumps, a player running at pace trying to get in on goal, potentially jumps to ride the tackle. One defender is already getting across him and the other has already missed the ball.

Second image is him being clattered by two players who aren’t in playing distance of the ball. Penalty or no penalty, it’s incredibly harsh to see a man of sterling’s size running at pace get clattered by two centre halves at the same time and call it a dive

Attachments

• 0DEE49E3-A723-4F48-9A02-98B132996A72.jpeg
    0DEE49E3-A723-4F48-9A02-98B132996A72.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CB6C3525-051F-4C77-8358-D282FEDEF116.jpeg
    CB6C3525-051F-4C77-8358-D282FEDEF116.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

The ycan either do that or make a challenge for the ball. They can't just come together to block him off like they did without making any attempt to play the ball.

If this was on one of the flanks and sterling had knocked it past them to run into space and the two defending players did this to stop him, there would be absolutely no debate surrounding the foul

This is literally science 101 for what your body does if it's a natural fall...you're arguing against your own point now

You run at speed towards a brick wall and I bet you dont land anything like he did !! It cant be more picture perfect simulation if he tried.

Ever heard a coach scream "get something" when player is in the box? ...... at all costs, get something !! (but dont hurt yourself in the process)

I've no doubt whatsoever that Sterligng knew he was going to be blocked off so he went looking for contact. That much is obvious to me.

9 times out of 10 the 2nd defender would just put his body in the way knowing that no ref would ever give the pen, but for some reason he sticks his foot our which gives Raheem something to give over. Harsh to say its a dive but certainly not harsh to say that he's looking for contact and found it!

Really rough call for the ref. He took his time as he's seen than the defenders leg has come out and there's been a trip. Incredibly soft but defender gave the ref a decision to make by putting his leg out. Most decent defenders just put their body in the way and keep their legs close so that there's no trip and there's never a foul. Poor defending, niave

Looking for contact, INITIATED the contact. Sterling saw the leg and went, hey, that's what I was looking for

its not your conventional dive. But, if you go looking for contact and then play on it, that is you initiating the contact.

I honest thought at the real time, ref was not giving it, thought it was a dive, but cos it a friendly, was going to let it go
Then, because in his head (understandable) he played it back, and , it looked like a pk, he gave it.

There is no foul. No defender fouls Sterling. The only reason there is any contact with anyone, is cos Sterling leaps into the defenders.

Simulation is not just, taking a dive, its, initiating the contact, looking for it, and then making most of it. Neither defender, whilst clearly clumsy, did anything to Sterling

Its a great clip though and it splits opinion. I was at a game this morning and guys were talking about it, calling him diving B and so on...no, its not like that for me, its not like he was fouled and made most of it..that's diving....
he though was the only reason there was any contact with anyone, he looked for the legs, then went over the top of them, carefully putting his arms out to cushion his pre meditated fall....

half way line, yes we give them, because it looks like a foul,, so give it

so its not right in this case to say you would give it on half way.

You can sell giving it on half way, cos it looks like a foul

a pk, well, its not a foul.

great incident though

Back