A&H

ENG vs IRA Matchday 2 - Claus (BRA)

@es1 obviously got his hands on a cheap crate of Budweiser ;)

Imo this is just not a foul. Never mind VAR reviewing it.

Holding offence
A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body
or equipment impedes the opponent’s movement

Imo it did not and I felt it was acceptable contact. I was willing the referee to say no...

The Referee Store
@es1 obviously got his hands on a cheap crate of Budweiser ;)

Imo this is just not a foul. Never mind VAR reviewing it.

Holding offence
A holding offence occurs only when a player’s contact with an opponent’s body
or equipment impedes the opponent’s movement

Imo it did not and I felt it was acceptable contact. I was willing the referee to say no...
is this for the Maguire incident or the shirt pull

Had the one on Maguire in the first five minutes been given, I could understand VAR recommending a review (even if personally I wouldn't say it's a foul). Having not deemed the early one a clear and obvious error, I just can't see how they've flagged that one up.

The ref and the var are going home after that. Absolutely shocking
Don't think the referee can have much blame, we all know they are told to go with the recommendation. Look at it in his shoes, he either gives the penalty in a game that is already over, or he says no penalty and risks potentially that being his last decision of the tournament.

Who should be going home is whoever made those two VAR decisions. I'm still OK with the first one not being reviewed, but then to recommend a review for one that isn't even a foul is shocking inconsistency. As we say in IT: PICNIC - problem in chair not in computer. VAR is fine, but if top level referees can sit at a screen and still make decisions with massive inconsistencies like that VAR will never be accepted.

For me, you either have to give the referee the opportunity to review both or neither.

The inconsistencies we see week in week out in the Premier League are bad enough, but at the very highest level and in the same game, it is at best poor!

For me, you either have to give the referee the opportunity to review both or neither.

The inconsistencies we see week in week out in the Premier League are bad enough, but at the very highest level and in the same game, it is at best poor!
Ugh! VAR is not about "giving the R an opportunity to review." It is about showing the R plays on which the R has made a clear and obvious error. There is no great mystery here: on the early play, the VAR (who would have checked because they check every possible PK) did not believe there was a C&O error (perhaps because the apparent foul was not a player who was likely to have a chance at the ball and the game does not expect that to be called as a foul, let alone one that is clear and obvious), and for the second, he believed it was a C&O error.
The VAR has thrown the ref under the bus IMO. Once it went to pitchside review, ref had no choice but to give it - but didn't give ref option early in game.

This is just not true. The R's progress in the tournament is going to be evaluated on whether he makes the right call on video review. He has absolute pressure to get the call right, not pressure to just go along with the VAR. If he goes along with the VAR and the powers that be think it was not a C&O error, he's probably whistled his last game. (Admittedly, there is some bias built in, as when he goes to the monitor, he knows that the VAR thought it was C&O error, but the decision absolutely rests with the R and he absolutely bears the future consequences of being right (in the eyes of Collina and co) in his evaluation.)

all we ever want is consistency, what we have seen today is so far from consistency its unreal, so so disappointing to see

FT ENG 6 - 2 IRA

Cautions: 2
Dismissals: 0

I'd pick out the notable incidents to be:

No penalty for England - 5' (No OFR)
Iranian Keeper with a Head Injury - 7'
YC for RP - 25' (I feel like this has seen people been walked for it before?)
Penalty for Iran - 90 +14' - Overturned by Referee through VAR, holding offence (Already been quite widely discussed)

Would anybody else who watched the game add anything to that list?

I thought Maguire was using his hands too and when his arm went over the shoulder of the Iranian player I knew a penalty would never be awarded.

Just because a mistake is made in one decision doesn't mean another mistake should be made to even out the mistakes.

I thought Maguire was using his hands too and when his arm went over the shoulder of the Iranian player I knew a penalty would never be awarded.

Just because a mistake is made in one decision doesn't mean another mistake should be made to even out the mistakes.
This is the best explanation, I think - even if it’s not going to necessarily be convincing to everyone: VAR considered a possibility of an offensive foul as well as the defensive one(s) at the start so it wasn’t a clear and obvious error to give neither; at the end there was probably slightly more chance of an opportunity for the attacker but for the shirt-pull and arm across the front.

Strange one that early pen appeal for England got no VAR review but this one did? I wonder what the thought process was?
My guess is that it was the afters that came with it after Pickford palmed the ball away. Players squaring up to each other etc. is likely what caused VAR to have a look in the first place. Shocking inconsistency decision-wise though. ..

Not sure I’m a massive fan of how the ref runs in at pace to the site of every free kick? It works well for him but hard to step it up for a tackle worthy of a caution / dismissal, feels like it loses its impact?
Total opposite to how prem officials are instructed. Looks odd when done to tgis extreme. Seems insecure.

Total opposite to how prem officials are instructed. Looks odd when done to tgis extreme. Seems insecure.
this was a key topic of discussion amongst out group of pencils, sorry refs. looked very odd and, much like too much whistling, felt needless and would have lost effect had he actually needed to get in there

Much as it should have been a penalty, I think if Maguire had not also held the defender we would have had an on-field review. The holding at the same time makes it more difficult to define as a 'clear and obvious error'.

I thought with concussion a "neutral" doctor had to clear you to play. Not the faf that we saw today.. ;)

Back