A&H

ENG v ESP

I agree with a Rusty, no foul on DG, possible foul in the build up. Maybe...

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Keeper jumped up, attacker ran through for no reason, no challenge on the ball and collided with the keeper's leg. You don't think that's careless?

I still personally think it was more that Welbeck stood still, which he is entitled to do, and De Gea jumped into him. One of those though where, with hindsight, the expected decisions is probably foul even though it was beyond soft.

Here's a video clip of the incident...

https://streamable.com/j890y

Pictures don't show the story. If you watch this, there's some jostling between Welbeck and the defenders (nothing doing there), but as the Spanish GK jumps, Welbeck steps into his leg, just enough to knock him off balance -- something that can be quite dangerous.

It's not 100% clear if the referee saw it here or if it was only the AAR that spotted it, and thus the delay on the signal for the offence.

Reactions: one
I thought the Welbeck 'goal' was a terrible decision. Welbeck was looking at the ball all the time and made a genuine attempt to jump to head it. De Gea also was only looking at the ball so contact was inevitable and, if anything, Dea Gea landing on top of Welbeck is more of a foul. I get really irritated with the ridiculous protection goalkeepers get whenever there is contact. They already have a huge advantage insofar that they can handle the ball. If De Gea had opunched the ball clear instead of trying to catch it, then I guarantee the Ref would not have stopped play.

There's no foul on the keeper. In fact, there's no foul at all. An example of 'safe refereeing' gone wrong
@CapeTownRef gets my prize for best post!
I thought the Welbeck 'goal' was a terrible decision. Welbeck was looking at the ball all the time and made a genuine attempt to jump to head it. De Gea also was only looking at the ball so contact was inevitable and, if anything, Dea Gea landing on top of Welbeck is more of a foul. I get really irritated with the ridiculous protection goalkeepers get whenever there is contact. They already have a huge advantage insofar that they can handle the ball. If De Gea had opunched the ball clear instead of trying to catch it, then I guarantee the Ref would not have stopped play.

He didn't jump at all, nor did he attempt to head it. Keeper jumped and grabbed the ball, Welbeck just kept running instead of pulling up short, and collided with the keeper's leg in midair.

Why would running into the leg of a jumping player and causing them to lose the ball NOT be a foul?

If De Gea had punched the ball clear, then that would have occurred before the contact so he wouldn't have been affected by it. So of course the ref wouldn't have stopped play.

If we look hard enough we can always see some slight contact on a keeper for flimsy justification to give a foul. Football should address the fact that the laws are applied very differently to goalkeepers than outfield players and do something about it. It's almost a different sport when goalkeepers are involved.

Perhaps any contact on keepers at all should be a mandatory foul. It's almost that way anyway so why not introduce that law and removes all the doubt.

We're not talking about slight contact here - the attacker runs into the keeper's leg which completely off-balances him in mid-air. There's contact, occurring of a careless nature (the attacker ran into the keeper's leg), which has an outcome. This is ticking all the boxes.

Has zero to do with it being a goalkeeper. Had the same happened to an outfield player before/as they were heading the ball and that mucked up the header, it's still a foul.

With the ball in the air, id be amazed if the referee saw any contact with the leg. His eyes would be been looking up above the head of DDG and Wellbeck

With the ball in the air, id be amazed if the referee saw any contact with the leg. His eyes would be been looking up above the head of DDG and Wellbeck
No they wouldn't. You don't ball watch when it's in the air - you watch the drop zone. The ball isn't going to foul itself. the point of contact is precisely where the ref should have been watching.

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Isn't that conclusive?
Firstly he didn’t challenge, secondly, isn’t a player allowed his own space on the pitch, I can’t remember the actual wording!

Firstly he didn’t challenge, secondly, isn’t a player allowed his own space on the pitch, I can’t remember the actual wording!
Oh right, but that only applies to English players? If Welbeck was stood still this might be a valid argument, but he isn't. He moves into De Gea and does not challenge for the ball, just takes him out.

He actually turns around and backs into the keeper. He was running forwards but at the point of contact he has turned his back to the goal he was "attacking"

Reactions: one
Back