A&H

Embarrassing moment pre kick off....

Had 2 others aswell.
1. completed toss, had acknowledgment from both goalies they were ready, looked over to where car's should have been and nobody on either side of pitch. Flags still on side of pitch. I had forgotten to find volunteers and brief them.
2. kicked this game off and after 30 seconds realised away team goalie wearing identical shirt to home team. Followed a delay then whilst change of shirt sorted. Had a bit of grief from away team manager for not spotting earlier which I accepted, but I did point out that he knew home teams colours and he should also have realised prior to leaving changing room.

The Referee Store
Not prematch but during my first ever game, only a few weeks ago, coach signals for a sub. I check the ball is out of play, look back to the touch line and there's a player running along the half way line as though he's just ran on. I tell him he should have waited for me "ref, I've been on all the time, I'm the only black player on the pitch!"
Realising my mistake as the sub is waiting for me I say " oh yes, carry on" sheepishly walking to the sub. dooh.
ooft thats a belter lol

Went to home manager when I got there said is this the U14's and I got a reply of yes so I went through all my pre match including briefing both teams, checking pitch, checking nets finding and briefing 2 AR's. Handshakes then coin toss, quick word with captain. KO.

2 minutes into the game ball goes out for a throw in and a manager runs onto the pitch. Comes up to me and tells me I'm at the wrong match and that the one I should've been at was at the other side of the field :eek:

The worst part was that I had to get my flags back and my bag and run off to the other pitch with my head hung in shame :(

1. had acknowledgment from both goalies they were ready.
2. kicked this game off and after 30 seconds realised away team goalie wearing identical shirt to home team. Followed a delay then whilst change of shirt sorted. Had a bit of grief from away team manager for not spotting earlier which I accepted, but I did point out that he knew home teams colours and he should also have realised prior to leaving changing room.

Personally, I don't seek acknowledgement from keepers that they're ready at the start of the game

Also, you didn't need to stop the game for keepers wearing the same jersey since interpretation of lotg allows it. If it's bothering you enough - you could always request it at half-time, to pre-empt any anxieties you may have around the keeper coming up for the corner in the last minute scenarios

....or 20 minutes before the end of the match, as I had in a game last weekend, u18 girls.

I asked the coach if he was playing rush goalie

Opposition car / coach commented on it at the end of the game saying he thought it was unsporting. My thought was that it was just a little bit silly....and possibly a result of the fact that the team had played three different keepers during the match

Last edited:
Also, you didn't need to stop the game for keepers wearing the same jersey since interpretation of lotg allows it. If it's bothering you enough - you could always request it at half-time, to pre-empt any anxieties you may have around the keeper coming up for the corner in the last minute scenarios
Happy's GK was wearing the same kit as the opposition outfield players which may have caused a few more problems...

Yesterday's game, everything sorted. Corner flags there. CARs running into position. Coin tossed and teams ready to go. Only for "have we got a ball ref?" The blooming ball I'd popped on the centre spot had completely vanished. I tried to style it out like I hadn't been given the ball by calling to the touch line in a really quizzical fashion asking for a ball!

If you can stretch to £450 all in this seems like a great buy but I can see it is nearly double the price of your DIY version :)
They may even reduce it if you ask :)
Have you looked at the Yapalong system it works in exactly the same way as the vokero system used by the Premier league but at a quarter of the cost.

Back