A&H

Eh? The Things You Hear

CO. DOWN REF

Level 7 Referee
'I understand why you gave our keeper a yellow card for taking the attacker out 2 footed but don't understand why you gave a penalty.'

The Referee Store
And maybe the two footed challenge should been red not yellow

No definite yellow. Maybe not wonderfully described but not really point of post.

For record it wasn't two footed really - 1 foot followed by a trailer. Just the perception of this individual was bizarre.

Last edited:
I can kinda equal this stupid comment;

Why didn't you send him off ref? It was deliberate handball (1) and he was the last man (2)

(1) all handball offenses are deliberate :)

(2) there is not really any such thing as last man, thanks for fudge all commentators on motd. And if there was, he wasn't. A man was running behind.

Today, I cautioned* an U13 player for running past me and within earshot saying "you're a sh** ref, a sh** ref" and as I showed him the yellow I hear (presumably) his mum shout:
"Don't worry Arthur, I'll pay"

After the match, the mum and the dad (I think) are in discussion with the mum arguing it was for match control. Fairly cross Dad comes up to me and says what did he say, I need to know how much of a boll***** to give him. Coach later told me he's a policemen so that kid might no be using his xbox any time in the near future. :)

*I'm not sure why I cautioned, in retrospect I should have sent him off**
** Think I didn't it was because they'd just had 3 shots blocked on the line and then they scored but I gave a direct free kick against them for handball. They were losing 1-0 at the time and I've never had so many players gather round me. They said that's a yellow right and I let slip yes so felt I had to go with it. Not an excuse I know.

The writing of the name and taking the card out took around 3 minutes.. very embarrassing but I couldn't feel my hands!

Last edited:
Sounds like just a yellow to me - the response of the mum explains the problem!!

I remember a player screaming at my AR 'you f****** cheating c***!'
Out comes the red of course, teammate comes up: 'no no no ref, he called him a f****** cheeky c***!'

.....yes, and? :D

Lol it depends on the level of the game and how major of swearing it is it was like today I had a player say I was **** in dissent but it was not enough for a sending off.

Today, I cautioned* an U13 player for running past me and within earshot saying "you're a sh** ref, a sh** ref"

A caution....... Clear red for me all day long. Any player regardless of age says that particularly the fact he repeated it is walking for OFFINABUS.

Use the phrase "you're...." and you are begging for a red if the next words are in any way offensive etc. it is aimed at the ref, it is not dissent.

Use the phrase "that was..." You are looking at a caution for dissent (if required)

Rough guide to live by

Walking to me implies that both feet are on the floor at the same time (at some point in the stride rotation) - so theoretically possible to deliver a legal walking throw-in ... might be delving into shades of grey to define moment of release (of the ball) - is it a single moment or a collection of the whole delivery of the arms / ball ..?

I must be missing something here!
It looked perfectly normal to me & also there's nothing to stop players taking a long run up to throw the ball and many do, so what's wrong with walking & releasing?
JP implied that the mere act of walking made the throw illegal.

... I guess JP is thinking of the line in LOTG - part of both feet on the ground at the moment of delivering the ball - and that walking implied a moving motion whereby a foot was mid stride and not on the floor

My thinking is that if walking whilst taking a throw in, one foot will be off the floor during the throwing motion...

... I guess JP is thinking of the line in LOTG - part of both feet on the ground at the moment of delivering the ball - and that walking implied a moving motion whereby a foot was mid stride and not on the floor

If you listen to JP, you'll soon realise he hasn't been near LOTG in a long time, if ever!

Reckless tackles are red cards, ANY challenge as long the foot makes any sort of contact with the ball is OK, the list is endless!

Back