A&H

Dwight Gayle...

The Referee Store
Always baffled me why a player only gets a caution for a dive, its like ok you can cheat but if i catch cheating again then you're off.

Some dives are very hard to spot, the one with Son recently divided opinion but some are obvious.

Football needs to look at Rugby and adopt the "putting it on report law"

Anyone with an "obvious dive" misses six games for me.

Media could actually help, and, (if proven), splatter player on back pages and label it, xxxxx caught cheating, instead of diving

Its a trophy title to some, a dive.

Lets call them out for what they are.

Always baffled me why a player only gets a caution for a dive, its like ok you can cheat but if i catch cheating again then you're off.

Some dives are very hard to spot, the one with Son recently divided opinion but some are obvious.

Football needs to look at Rugby and adopt the "putting it on report law"

Anyone with an "obvious dive" misses six games for me.
Isn't that the same as shirt pulling, tripping, handball etc. All forms of cheating really

It's great that the FA are charging Gayle for it but it's still frustrating that he's basically cheated a point for WBA, and 2 away for Forest.

Nah, some fouls naturally happen during a game, you will trip an opponent, you will stop the ball with your hand, i think they are run of the mill expected offences in a game of football
I have not seen the incident in question, but to deliberately throw yourself to the floor in a bid to win a foul (and potentially get the opponent sent off?) is a pre meditated act of cheating and should be called out as such

never mind simulation of diving, back pages, should, if the player is found and accepted his charge, should say "xxxxxx CHEAT", confirmed.

Nah, some fouls naturally happen during a game, you will trip an opponent, you will stop the ball with your hand, i think they are run of the mill expected offences in a game of football
I have not seen the incident in question, but to deliberately throw yourself to the floor in a bid to win a foul (and potentially get the opponent sent off?) is a pre meditated act of cheating and should be called out as such

never mind simulation of diving, back pages, should, if the player is found and accepted his charge, should say "xxxxxx CHEAT", confirmed.
Whilst I accept that they can be natural fouls which happen in almost every game, if a player is one on one with the keeper and you grab their shirt and hack them down with no attempt to play the ball is still a form of cheating. It's just a more tolerated form

Whilst I accept that they can be natural fouls which happen in almost every game, if a player is one on one with the keeper and you grab their shirt and hack them down with no attempt to play the ball is still a form of cheating. It's just a more tolerated form

Are we assuming though the player is penalised and sanctioned for the hack?
am typing on the basis the cheating player has successfully deceived the referee.

The referee is expected to notice run of the mill fouls, but, I don't think (as much as it be ideal if he can) he is, or should be, required to spot actual cheating, which is purely done in an attempt to trick the referee into making the wrong call

Are we assuming though the player is penalised and sanctioned for the hack?
am typing on the basis the cheating player has successfully deceived the referee.
If the referee thinks he plays the ball and nothing happens, the FA wouldn't review it and penalise the defender after the game. It would be accepted that he cheated, the referee made a mistake and we move on

Baggie here - I was at the other end of the ground but in real time it looked a penalty so I can see why Mason gave it.

I obviously don't condone what Gayle did and it does need rooting out of the game, but why all of a sudden have they decided to act?

That was probably worse than Gayles and I don't recall him getting charged/banned.

Media could actually help, and, (if proven), splatter player on back pages and label it, xxxxx caught cheating, instead of diving

Its a trophy title to some, a dive.

Lets call them out for what they are.

Media....in particular, the pundits that say things like "he needs to be going down there"..."he needs to be more professional" etc....when, in fact they are implying they should be cheating.

I meant more the tabloids, they refer to it as "a dive" or its Sunday name, "simulation", where, a big full page back page of the player with the words simply "cheat" next to him (when found guilty) might, just might have more effect than being banned for simulation

There are players who dive and like to do so to make it challenging for the referee, they see it as law of averages, go down 4 times, you might get that pk, its a trophy dive, and would be applauded in the changing room afterwards.

Reveal them for what they are, and, you might slowly kill the cancer.

Pundits tend to be the ex players, I was aiming more at the football writers.

Think, and I know it means changes results, but there should be a way of taking away goals scored, if any were, from the result of cheating.
If this were to happen then forest would get their 3 points they deserve and wba none. Alternatively deduct x amount of points gained by the goal or goals so in this case deduct 1 point.
Teams would then discourage players from doing so.
Suspensions won't deter them that much, and teams won't stop it if they have sufficient cover.
However points on the board. They'll soon encourage players to stop.

The points deduction if won through cheating would be ideal, sadly it then open the can of worms on points won by a handball goal, offside goal, and so on. How about if its proven to be a cheating dive, we return to play the remaining 3 mins with the goal chalked off and restarted with an IDFK to the other team and Gayle counts as sent off...

Now, that really would or should go some way to prevent it.

There is one obvious area i always look for to see if a player has dived, its not 100% spot on but if a players arms go above his head like in the clip above there is a very good chance its a dive.

Retrospective bans for cheats, how would MFC and Pullis get a defensive team out every week? 👀

Gayle should have had to turn up at Forest training yesterday and try to apologise to his fellow professionals for cheating them, then stop in at Lee Masons house on the way home and do the same, and then be on the back page of todays papers saying, sorry am a cheat.
Nobody at West Brom will be in the least bit bothered, afterall, he won them a point.

afterall, players, fans and managers scream they never hear from the referees when they make a mistake and they are desperate to shove a mic into the refs face to explain why he sent that player off, so, go hunting the cheats, no ***** footing about, first thing this morning, live on Sky Sports News..."Mr Gayle you were charged and accepted a charge of cheating, what does it feel like to be a cheat"

Last edited:
Those who followed Alan Shearers career must of seen his backing into the centre half and flop forward routine a hundred times.... Got him loads of cheap free kicks that he could bang in the back of the net!!!

I personally think that if a dive affects the outcome of a match, that team should be stripped of the points for that game. Make dives count for nothing.

And suspending divers is essential. In Australia the judiciary would review diving incidents, whether or not the player was booked, and suspend players afterwards. Since they stopped doing that diving steadily increased. I mean, implementation was problematic - 'inconsistent' would be a kind description, but better than nothing.

Of course defining what a dive is, also creates problems. FIFA needs to ditch this stupid idea that 'any contact means it's not a dive'.

And finally, the way the game is refereed can only encourage diving, as below:

Media....in particular, the pundits that say things like "he needs to be going down there"..."he needs to be more professional" etc....when, in fact they are implying they should be cheating.
Except they're right. Players who fight to stay on their feet do get punished. Because we have this idea of only refereeing on outcomes, not interfering in the game, etc etc it means referees aren't going to penalise unless something major happens. That generally means being knocked off your feet. Stumble and regain your feet? Probably no foul, even if you lose the ball - especially in the box. So as an attacker, why try to regain your feet when you stumble?

Back