A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 9 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022

Week 9 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Quiz Laden…

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Q 1 is not a lotg question. It's a opinion question. And it could easily be evenly split at that.

Q3 where on goal one was the keeper? Where in goal was the ball going and where was the defender (eg on the goal line also)?

Q 1 is not a lotg question. It's a opinion question. And it could easily be evenly split at that.

Q3 where on goal one was the keeper? Where in goal was the ball going and where was the defender (eg on the goal line also)?

you're obviouslt right re Q1 but i think the required sanction is pretty obvious or at least should be

Spoiler - why is the handball a penalty AND yellow card?

Unusually Jan doesn't quote law to justify the card just this

"As this is a shot on goal, the interpretation of football authorities is that this is a yellow card offence"

We discussed on another but really struggling to justify a USB yellow card in this specific example.

Spoiler - why is the handball a penalty AND yellow card?

Unusually Jan doesn't quote law to justify the card just this

"As this is a shot on goal, the interpretation of football authorities is that this is a yellow card offence"

We discussed on another but really struggling to justify a USB yellow card in this specific example.
SPA . . . 👍

SPA . . . 👍
Interesting, not what I thought was meant by a promising attack - this is a shot on goal, next action, as described in the question, would be a save by the gk - not sure many would understand if asked why a yellow on fop, you said that was stopping a promising attack - shot on goal yes - does that justify the yellow - by calling it SPA?

Genuine question - if it is widely accepted its a yellow then fair enough, that's what I will give in future.

Interesting, not what I thought was meant by a promising attack - this is a shot on goal, next action, as described in the question, would be a save by the gk - not sure many would understand if asked why a yellow on fop, you said that was stopping a promising attack - shot on goal yes - does that justify the yellow - by calling it SPA?

Genuine question - if it is widely accepted its a yellow then fair enough, that's what I will give in future.
The keeper may save it, may drop it to another attacker, or it may hit someone on the way to goal, etc., etc., so in my opinion it's still a promising attack until something stops it being so.
Some disagree with me, as evidenced on another thread.

The keeper may save it, may drop it to another attacker, or it may hit someone on the way to goal, etc., etc., so in my opinion it's still a promising attack until something stops it being so.
Some disagree with me, as evidenced on another thread.
You have said "may drop it to another attacker, or it may hit someone on the way to goal, etc., etc" clearly putting some conditions on it being a promising attack. I am ok with that. See it and judge it on its merits.

What I am not ok with is saying any deliberately handled goal bound shot, without condition, is a yellow card (if not DOGSO). This is not what the law says. And imo it's not what it wants either. It's just crept into the game as an accepted practice because it makes easier to sell decisions.

A similar thing was the case that any blatant handball anywhere on the filed was cautioned. The law makers had to put a stop to it and make it specific in law.

Having said that, if there is a law change that adds this specific scenario to the list of USB then so be it. Until then I will judge every case based on its merits SPA in opposed to 'handling a goal bound shot'.

Last edited:
You have said "may drop it to another attacker, or it may hit someone on the way to goal, etc., etc" clearly putting some conditions on it being a promising attack. I am ok with that. See it and judge it on its merits.

What I am not ok with is saying any deliberately handled goal bound shot, without condition, is a yellow card (if not DOGSO). This is not what the law says. And imo it's not what it wants either. It's just crept into the game as an accepted practice because it makes easier to sell decisions.

A similar thing was the case that any blatant handball anywhere on the filed was cautioned. The law makers had to put a stop to it and make it specific in law.

Having said that, if there is a law change that adds this specific scenario to the list of USB then so be it. Until then I will judge every case based on its merits SPA in opposed to 'handling a goal bound shot'.
I understand your approach to this, but IMHO there is still a promising attack in progress when the ball is handled, so a caution is appropriate.

I understand your approach to this, but IMHO there is still a promising attack in progress when the ball is handled, so a caution is appropriate.
That's not what we were told by the FA on the 5-to-4 seminar a few weeks back. Whatever a goal bound shot is, they explicitly said, 'it's not SPA'
Then again, what the hell do they know? In your defence, I'm being serious with that last comment
As promotion candidates, we just have to spin the 'Observer Wheel of Fortune', whatever we decide to dress such a caution up as

Last edited:
That's not what we were told by the FA on the 5-to-4 seminar a few weeks back. Whatever a goal bound shot is, they explicitly said, 'it's not SPA'
Then again, what the hell do they know? In your defence, I'm being serious with that last comment
As promotion candidates, we just have to spin the 'Observer Wheel of Fortune', whatever we decide to dress such a caution up as
It's the biggest flaw in the whole system at all levels.
As referees decisions sometimes are in our opinion and so to that end its also the opinion of the observer.
And so the wheel of fortune begins to spin

Back