A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 5 Laws of the Game Quiz 2023-2024

Week 5 Laws of the Game Quiz 2023-2024. A new quiz season has started. Every Tuesday a new quiz. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Video is […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Hmmmm. Interested in people's take on Answers 1 and 2. I personally disagree with the explanation. But still worthwhile as it got me pondering about a little used aspect of law

when does a holding offence occur? Certainly can't be answered with a freeze frame that's for sure
You can see he is holding because as the attacker is turning the defender's hand is being pulled around. This is easier to see if you slow the YouTube playback even further, and it's so close that it's in the territory of simultaneous offences, but even so then as a DOGSO-Red offence it would be the more serious offence.

You can see he is holding because as the attacker is turning the defender's hand is being pulled around. This is easier to see if you slow the YouTube playback even further, and it's so close that it's in the territory of simultaneous offences, but even so then as a DOGSO-Red offence it would be the more serious offence.
but is the holding impeding his movement? It is not an offence just to hold. A holding offence only occurs where the holding impedes the movement of the other player. So even if he was holding first, for me it's not enough impact to be an offence and the elbow is the first offence.

but is the holding impeding his movement? It is not an offence just to hold. A holding offence only occurs where the holding impedes the movement of the other player. So even if he was holding first, for me it's not enough impact to be an offence and the elbow is the first offence.
Well I for one am shocked I had never noticed that before, it should really be included in the Law 12 text rather than back in the glossary!

They is Jan btw - our very own bespectacled Dutch ref and a very very nice chap!
Agreed. Any referee willing to put their time into something that helps other referees learn the trade has to be a nice chap. 😊

The problem with subjective decisions, especially something as 50-50 as this one, is that it's a little disheartening to see an answer marked as wrong when it's definitely not wrong in law. I haven't actually done the quiz and not sure what was considered as the right answer but I can guess. To make the point on this occasion, had the attacker just stopped in his tracks and throw his hands up after 'the hold' instead of swinging them, all of us would have agreed it's a pen. The only reason he swang it was because he was being held and it was impeding him. I can also see why a DFK and yellow is credible here.

Or put it another way, neither pen nor a DFK sould have been recommended a review by VAR.

Last edited:
Agreed. Any referee willing to put their time into something that helps other referees learn the trade has to be a nice chap. 😊

The problem with subjective decisions, especially something as 50-50 as this one, is that it's a little disheartening to see an answer marked as wrong when it's definitely not wrong in law. I haven't actually done the quiz and not sure what was considered as the right answer but I can guess. To make the point on this occasion, had the attacker just stopped in his tracks and throw his hands up after 'the hold' instead of swinging them, all of us would have agreed it's a pen. The only reason he swang it was because he was being held and it was impeding him. I can also see why a DFK and yellow is credible here.

Or put it another way, neither pen nor a DFK sould have been recommended a review by VAR.
Or using a still image is really misrepresentative here. I think the video shows there’s not “holding” - the attacker feels the arm and swings the elbow - before the defender has any leverage. And I think the video shows no evidence that the attacker is “held back” before the elbow flies.

Or using a still image is really misrepresentative here. I think the video shows there’s not “holding” - the attacker feels the arm and swings the elbow - before the defender has any leverage. And I think the video shows no evidence that the attacker is “held back” before the elbow flies.

I have seen the video. My point is not about what the correct decision is. I think the fact that the two of us are disagreeing (as well as others) illustrates my point perfectly.

Back