A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 25 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
Week 25 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. LaLiga has prohibited embedding the video on this page, so you have to […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
3/5 again! Well at least I'm learning and improving haha.

A couple questions...

I had this down as a direct free kick and yellow card and didn't even think twice about it.

Why is this a clear red card for endangering the safety of the opponent?

I had allow the goal but I think I know where I got confused. There's a situation in LOTG where you'll allow a goal on a penalty rebound if the ball is traveling into the goal and it's stopped by an outside actor who doesn't have any affect on the defender's or GK's ability to stop the ball.

"If, after the penalty kick has been taken, the ball is touched by an outside agent as it moves forward, the kick is retaken unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent the goalkeeper or a defending player playing the ball, in which case the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team."

But during an actual penalty, it makes sense that it's a retake. So I was just confusing during the penalty kick and after the penalty kick, right?

I had allow the goal but I think I know where I got confused. There's a situation in LOTG where you'll allow a goal on a penalty rebound if the ball is traveling into the goal and it's stopped by an outside actor who doesn't have any affect on the defender's or GK's ability to stop the ball.

But during an actual penalty, it makes sense that it's a retake. So I was just confusing during the penalty kick and after the penalty kick, right?
The ball has to enter the goal in order to award the goal. The allowance of a goal in the LOTG is where
  • an outside agent touches the ball
  • the outside agent's action does not affect the GK's or a defender's ability to play the ball
  • the ball then enters the goal

@CaptainsPlease Yep, got it. Thanks!

Follow up question: what happens in this situation when an outside agent touches the ball and the ball doesn't enter the goal?

Thanks for your input, everybody!

1. Sorry to restate but it just allows me to make sure I fully understand...
  • Retake the penalty if the outside agent stops the ball from going in the goal
  • Award a goal if the outside agent touches the ball while the ball is moving forward, doesn't affect the GK's ability to save the ball, the ball ends up in the goal AND the referee deems the ball was going in before the ball touches the outside agent
  • Drop ball for the defending team if an outside agent touches the ball after the ball has been saved and/or touches the crossbar or posts
...right? 😅

2. Any additional comments about Q1?

After thinking about it more this morning, I guess I could see this as being a sending off offense if the kick it interpreted as completely independent of winning the ball. If the player had done that away from the ball, it would be a sending off for VC. Maybe the referee thought he made no attempt at all to win the ball and it was just one player kicking another?

I'm still not sure it endangers the player but I could see why it's a red for simply kicking an opponent.

4/5 :smoke:

I also had this down as a YC because I thought the exaggerated reaction of the player in white made it look a lot worse than it actually was, but I'm willing to accept being wrong.

Back