A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 24 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023

Week 24 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Go to the video on YouTube, as embedding wasn’t possible. Incident starts at […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Week 24 Laws of the Game Quiz 2022-2023. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Go to the video on YouTube, as embedding wasn’t possible. Incident starts at […]

Continue reading...
Thanks for all your quizzes Jan, essential weekly reading! That said, I fundamentally disagree with your answer to the video clip question this week .. :)

In my opinion the first offence is a clear foul by the attacker deliberately jumping into the defender with no attempt to play the ball. Hence defensive free kick, no sanction.

3/5. Dang! Maybe others can help clear up my questions?

Question: If an offside offense occurs, the referee awards...

My incorrect answer: an indirect free kick where the offense occurred, but never in the player's own half of the field of play

I thought this question was simply testing if I knew that an offside offense can't occur in a player's own half. Did I just interpret this question wrong?

Question: The assistant referee raises his flag to indicate that the ball has wholly passed over the touchline. Before the referee has blown his whistle to indicate that as well, he then sees that a defender hits an opponent in the defender's penalty area. What should be the decision of the referee?

My incorrect answer: The referee shows the defender a red card and restarts play with a penalty kick

I thought play doesn't officially stop until the referee blows their whistle, so the ball signaled out of bounds by the AR doesn't technically end the play. If the referee had blown their whistle before the hit happened, I'd completely agree with this. I guess my takeaway here is that the AR signaling the ball was out of bounds can be what marks a stop in play?

3/5. Dang! Maybe others can help clear up my questions?

Question: If an offside offense occurs, the referee awards...

My incorrect answer: an indirect free kick where the offense occurred, but never in the player's own half of the field of play

I thought this question was simply testing if I knew that an offside offense can't occur in a player's own half. Did I just interpret this question wrong?

Question: The assistant referee raises his flag to indicate
that the ball has wholly passed over the touchline. Before the referee has blown his whistle to indicate that as well, he then sees that a defender hits an opponent in the defender's penalty area. What should be the decision of the referee?

My incorrect answer: The referee shows the defender a red card and restarts play with a penalty kick

I thought play doesn't officially stop until the referee blows their whistle, so the ball signaled out of bounds by the AR doesn't technically end the play. If the referee had blown their whistle before the hit happened, I'd completely agree with this. I guess my takeaway here is that the AR signaling the ball was out of bounds can be what marks a stop in play?
you have just misunderstood the question. The question is about the restart after and offside offence. Which is where the offence happens. A player can be in an offside position at the point the ball is played but commit the offence in their own half. Thus the restart is from that point .

A ball is out of play at the moment it wholly crosses the touch line or goal line. Nothing to do with when the signal is given.if the ball is out of play, it is out of play irrespective of when the signal to indicate as such.

For example, let's say the referee doesn't see the flag, he blows whistle and awards a penalty. The AR calls him over and says the ball had left the field of play before the offence happens the restart would be according to ball out of play still.

Back