A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 20 Laws of the Game Quiz 2020-2021

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
The Referee Store
Was there not a clarification about subs taking restarts, that they didn't have to do the daft looking step on to the pitch thing before taking it....

Actually substitutes are never allowed to take any restarts (entering field of play or not). Only players are. A very poor question.

I deliberately gave myself a 4/5 but gave the right answer to prove a point. To whom? I don't know.

@JamesL that clarification was to precisely fix what I mention above. Prior to that 'substitues' could take restarts after entering the field. Now only players can.

In a substitution procedure, once done correctly, and once the substitute enters the FOP, he is no longer a substitute, but a player.

Actually substitutes are never allowed to take any restarts (entering field of play or not). Only players are. A very poor question.

I deliberately gave myself a 4/5 but gave the right answer to prove a point. To whom? I don't know.

@JamesL that clarification was to precisely fix what I mention above. Prior to that 'substitues' could take restarts after entering the field. Now only players can.

In a substitution procedure, once done correctly, and once the substitute enters the FOP, he is no longer a substitute, but a player.
OK. Poor phrasing on my part. But again, I thought the clarification was to do away with the circus of the, now, player having to physically step on to the pitch, to take a throw in for example.
I recall games being held up for the player to actually step on to field of play before being allowed to take the throw in. I mean so long as a slither of their toenail has touched the line they have entered the field of play - maybe I have poor recollection lol

Yes and poor wording on the Jan's behalf too :)

I don't think that was ever the case. And for good reason (send off's) there has to be a clear point when a substitute becomes a player. Let's say they are allowed to take the throw in without entering the field (tow on the line means entering the field) but after the player they are substituting has left the field of play. What if they say something offensive at some point before entering the field (before or after taking the throw in) and the referee sends them off? Does the team plays with one less player or is the original player allowed back on? At what point is that substitute who took/is taking the throw in considered a player?

OK. Poor phrasing on my part. But again, I thought the clarification was to do away with the circus of the, now, player having to physically step on to the pitch, to take a throw in for example.
I recall games being held up for the player to actually step on to field of play before being allowed to take the throw in. I mean so long as a slither of their toenail has touched the line they have entered the field of play - maybe I have poor recollection lol
I thought this had changed too so I got that question "wrong". I went to both the footy and futsal laws (it's more relevant in futsal) and found that it's still there in both books.

So, I (we) are confused here... what's going on?

I thought this had changed too so I got that question "wrong". I went to both the footy and futsal laws (it's more relevant in futsal) and found that it's still there in both books.

So, I (we) are confused here... what's going on?
Confused we are...

16-17:
• Substitutes may take a restart but must first step onto the field

17-18 claim to have made the wording clearer and gave us what we have today:

The substitution is completed when a
substitute enters the field of play;
from that moment, the replaced player
becomes a substituted player and the
substitute becomes a player and can
take any restart.

So my memory of this change is somewhat fuzzy.

It's one of those distinctions that almost never matters.

But when it matters (either the incoming or outgoing player is sent off), it really matter as we need to know whether the team plays short (which means whether the substitution was complete). Its the same risk we face when we let an incoming player on before the exiting player has left.

(The one on hear I always have to think through is the interference--after so long as an IFK, it still feels off to me to say DFK.)

To be clear, on the quiz question itself, the problems is that it doesn't give any context of a substitution process at all. So if we take the 4th option as the correct answer (the one the quiz gives as correct), then at any throw in a substitute, without intending for a substitution, can enter the field then exit and take a legal throw without becoming a player.

To be clear, on the quiz question itself, the problems is that it doesn't give any context of a substitution process at all. So if we take the 4th option as the correct answer (the one the quiz gives as correct), then at any throw in a substitute, without intending for a substitution, can enter the field then exit and take a legal throw without becoming a player.
Well, there is that niggling prohibition in the LOTG about subs entering the field without permission.

But really, while you may have a technical gripe here, the context of the question is obvious even without the missing words. No one is going to actually believe the question means what you just posited. Could it be more crisply drafted? Sure. But let's not let perfection be the enemy of the good--it is, in fact, a good and thought provoking question, which is the whole purpose of those quizzes--which I appreciate a lot, especially in this awful time when I never get to step foot on a pitch.

Well, there is that niggling prohibition in the LOTG about subs entering the field without permission.

But really, while you may have a technical gripe here, the context of the question is obvious even without the missing words. No one is going to actually believe the question means what you just posited. Could it be more crisply drafted? Sure. But let's not let perfection be the enemy of the good--it is, in fact, a good and thought provoking question, which is the whole purpose of those quizzes--which I appreciate a lot, especially in this awful time when I never get to step foot on a pitch.
Indeed and much more relevant than the 'You Are The Ref' issue I'm reading (Birthday present from son, so feel obliged) where the situations get more and more absurd with each passing page. In Keith Hackett's weird and wonderful world you have a coach in the technical area 'filming' the oppo centre forward' a player injecting himself before coming on as a sub and subs not sitting in the technical area but in an air conditioned room in the stadium! :rolleyes:

Back