A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 12 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022

Week 12 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Quiz Laden…

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
i'd have liked the video to have been edited to stop before the extensive replays confirming what the answer should be!

Q5... a rare incorrect answer for me
That may be because if you go by the letter of the law (not its intent) then the correct answer given is actually incorrect.

Law4
"A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play; if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is awarded."

Now if he has scored without footwear, it means he replaces his footwear after (later than) ball going out of play. Therefore the goal must be disallowed.

Does someone want to tell ifab about this. I've given up.

I got 5/5 by the way 😊

That may be because if you go by the letter of the law (not its intent) then the correct answer given is actually incorrect.

Law4
"A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play; if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is awarded."

Now if he has scored without footwear, it means he replaces his footwear after (later than) ball going out of play. Therefore the goal must be disallowed.

Does someone want to tell ifab about this. I've given up.
:rolleyes: Clever, but IFAB is actually linguistically correct on this one . . . he replaces it when the ball goes out of play (i.e. scores)

No I didn't. You're making it something it isn't--or perhaps words get turned upside down where you are. :cool: "No later than when" means the "last time to do it is"--the player is required to do it once the ball goes out of play (scores). It doesn't mean before. And even if there were any doubt, the following clause removes it. I'm all for harshing on IFAB for not hiring a technical writer or editor who can consistently make sure their words mean what they think they mean as so much of the Laws are awkwardly or confusingly written, but I don't think there is anything to see here.

not done the quiz but from the posts, if boot comes off and game goes on, the guy can indeed score a valid goal from his shoeless foot.

its not even worthy of discussion, its fact in black and white

You say "once the ball is out of play'", or the law says "no later than when" it means after it right? Has to be because it can't be at the same time or before it.

If driving at 60km/h apply breaks no later than when 20m away from a concrete wall to avoid collision.
I wonder what happens if I apply break once the 20 distance has passed (once the goal is scored).

Fine if you disagree but I am clear on this.

In either case, to avoid any confusion and be clear the clause should read: "A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and before the restart when the ball next goes out of play; if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is awarded."

Back