A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 1 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

• Thread starter Jan ter Harmsel
  • Start date
The new quiz season starts. Are you prepared? Good luck with Week 1 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020. I was triggered by a quote from Riem Hussein, Women’s World Cup referee in 2019. She says On Deutche Welle (in English): “In theory, there were a huge number of changes. My fist thought was that […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Certainly can't be an IFK. But if Law 12 is read literally, this is a goal as the player who accidentally handled did not gain possession/control of the ball. I think DFK is likely what IFAB actually wanted, but it's not what they actually wrote--has anyone seen clarification on that?
Couldn't agree more... if IFAB want something to happen, they should write it down in a book

Reactions: one
DRB is surely asking the Laporte City handball "assist" question - book says no, PGMOL says yes, IFAB on fence...

Certainly can't be an IFK. But if Law 12 is read literally, this is a goal as the player who accidentally handled did not gain possession/control of the ball. I think DFK is likely what IFAB actually wanted, but it's not what they actually wrote--has anyone seen clarification on that?
DRB is surely asking the Laporte City handball "assist" question - book says no, PGMOL says yes, IFAB on fence...

@Jan ter Harmsel had an article on on the Laporte incident demonstrating the new law. When I pointed out how it was not following what the law says he referred me to the spirit of the law in true IFAB style. Come on @Jan ter Harmsel :), I have been going to the spirit of the laws so often lately I that feel very spiritual more than ever.

From now on any time I get a decision wrong, i will justify it by spirit of the law.

Even the laws say refer to the spirit of it when the law is not clear. It reads very clear to me, it applies "when the player who handled it gains possession of the ball"

I think there’s an easy fix here. Rather than the law being about the player gaining control/possession it should state ”team” gaining control/possession.

Based on Laporte I think we should interpret this new law as team rather than player.

This still doesn’t solve the problem highlighted in the other thread of accidental HB in own box leading to goal at other end... but at least it clears up Laporte.

So, I’m with the Oliver decision until IFAB sort it out.

At grassroots though? I think we have to use common sense and take a looser interpretation to avoid loss of control. At grassroots making a swift decision clearly with credibility is probably much more important than a few missing words in a draft doc!

I tend to agree with you but consider what you have said here which I also agree with

I think there’s an easy fix here. Rather than the law being about the player gaining control/possession it should state ”team” gaining control/possession.

One would think a matter as simple and as easy fix as this would not have been overlooked by IFAB. After all, the change did not go straight from the back an envelope to the book. Given that, did IFAB actually mean only a "player" and not "team" or did they overlook such a simple matter?

Unlike any other year, the changes were not published to public (the best free test you can get) before going in the book so you would hope there would have been some internal QC.

Last edited:
Unlike any other year, the changes were not published to public (the best free test you can get) before going in the book so you would hope there would have been some internal QC.

Yeah, we'd hope that. But IFAB's history of language usage doesn't suggest it.

@Jan ter Harmsel had an article on on the Laporte incident demonstrating the new law. When I pointed out how it was not following what the law says he referred me to the spirit of the law in true IFAB style. Come on @Jan ter Harmsel :), I have been going to the spirit of the laws so often lately I that feel very spiritual more than ever.

The true irony is that IFAB is moving from more general themes in the laws to more prescriptive details-- but when the language of those narrow dictates fail they, fall bag on SOTG. They kind gotta make up their collective mind on this.

Back