A&H

Drawbacks of the VAR system

FFA have now admitted they have a problem and they are taking steps to fix it. The only correct step for me is to get rid of it.
I'll argue with that - no, they haven't admitted anything.

They've come out with a vague, typical PR response of 'oh, the VAR is important and we're always looking to improve it', but that's pretty much it. The sort of response that's so vague it just holds the fans in contempt.

Out of interest, here's another one. Now, in the A-League, the MRP (Match Review Panel) occasionally acts on incidents, such as acts of SFP/VC that were let go by the referee. They used to punish diving too. Now, the MRP has always been extremely suspect as they're consistency is about on par with the VAR. So I mentioned one incident where a player stamped on the shin of another and the VAR said 'nah, all good mate'? Well, BECAUSE the VAR looked at it, the MRP said 'well, I reckon that's been dealt with' (they've got this rule that if the ref has dealt with it then they can't take action - ie if the ref misses an incident, they can do something, but if the ref gives a yellow they can't do anything. They always pick and choose when to apply that rule and they've broken it plenty of times, when it suits them)

The Referee Store
I'll argue with that - no, they haven't admitted anything.

They've come out with a vague, typical PR response of 'oh, the VAR is important and we're always looking to improve it', but that's pretty much it. The sort of response that's so vague it just holds the fans in contempt.

Out of interest, here's another one. Now, in the A-League, the MRP (Match Review Panel) occasionally acts on incidents, such as acts of SFP/VC that were let go by the referee. They used to punish diving too. Now, the MRP has always been extremely suspect as they're consistency is about on par with the VAR. So I mentioned one incident where a player stamped on the shin of another and the VAR said 'nah, all good mate'? Well, BECAUSE the VAR looked at it, the MRP said 'well, I reckon that's been dealt with' (they've got this rule that if the ref has dealt with it then they can't take action - ie if the ref misses an incident, they can do something, but if the ref gives a yellow they can't do anything. They always pick and choose when to apply that rule and they've broken it plenty of times, when it suits them)
Maybe not directly but to say "needs to be much better" and saying there will be a number of changes they will implement is pretty much admitting they have a problem.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/12/17/ffa-cull-var-personnel-after-more-drama-0

This as well as the MRP retrospective actions or anything else that FFA does is all about the bottom line really. I don't think they ever think about the benefits (or lack of) to the game. Either that or incompetence.

Skimmed the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

What’s wrong with the rugby method?

VAR comes into play when the red asks them to, such as close inside/outside penalty area decisions, or identifying the perpetrators in a mass con, or a hand ball where an arm comes out of nowhere etc.

Replay the footage on the big screen so that everyone can see that it is being reviewed.

99% of the crowd don't know 50% of the laws anyway so whats the point in that! Its a bloody mess currently, drop it!!!

99% of the crowd don't know 50% of the laws anyway so whats the point in that! Its a bloody mess currently, drop it!!!

If they’re set on introducing VARs then it’s better for the crowd to see what is being reviewed, and then at least they can’t accuse the match officials of being blind

i've seen more than a few examples of VAR from aus/usa and in friendlies and the only way i see it working is a cricket style coaches challenge system.

while obviously still in its early stages, the current system has numerous issues about what's reviewed, how it's reviewed, how the info is interpreted, who makes the decision and no-one in the stadium aside from the match officials have any clue what's going on. i dont see how this type of VAR can be adapted positively to provide the quick and seamless service football demands

Skimmed the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

What’s wrong with the rugby method?

VAR comes into play when the red asks them to, such as close inside/outside penalty area decisions, or identifying the perpetrators in a mass con, or a hand ball where an arm comes out of nowhere etc.

Replay the footage on the big screen so that everyone can see that it is being reviewed.

EXCEPT, I've heard that in Rugby League especially games are lasting forever because refs are calling for VAR all the time - just to be sure they have it right.

As a slight aside - to think it will end all moaning by managers etc - see David Moyes this week.

Video evidence used to charge his player with diving - he complains because ref was '10 yards away with a clear view'

That is going to be a comment that comes up again - ref in the middle undermined because decisions he saw 'clearly' have been changed.

Will cause more problems and kill the pace and therefore atmosphere of the game imho.

Back