A&H

double headers - do they count towards promotion totals?

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I know you can't be observed and I know they don't count as two games, but there's some debate about whether they count at all. My CFA seems to think they don't whereas a neighbouring county insists they do. Maybe it's up to the county?

The Referee Store
Counties certainly do have a significant amount of flexibility and freedom. Personally though, I'd see no reason why a league double header wouldn't count towards the minimum games required. That criteria is there to ensure referees are committed and picking up enough experience ... so taking a double header is good on both these counts.

For anyone in Hertfordshire ... they count :)

They count towards the 20 game requirement, but they can't be used for observation as not long enough.

Thanks RustyRef, is that definitely true for all counties? My RDO has told me they don't count at all.

I'm fixtures sec for my league and I will engineer fixtures that are not double headers for referees on promotion from that CFA if necessary. We have referees from at least four CFAs, ideally this would be standardised.

They count towards the 20 game requirement, but they can't be used for observation as not long enough.
Despite more football being played than a standard 90 minute match...
Logically my brain says you observe the 2 games as one.
But I also can see cons as well - game 1 goes horribly, all the players you sent off in the first can play in the 2nd. Could make or break a season etc.

Despite more football being played than a standard 90 minute match...
Logically my brain says you observe the 2 games as one.
But I also can see cons as well - game 1 goes horribly, all the players you sent off in the first can play in the 2nd. Could make or break a season etc.

Its because they are two completely separate games that just happen to be played straight after each other, and you can't observe someone over two games. I understand your logic though.

Double headers can be a real nightmare for referees. You send someone off for OFFINABUS in the first one and they can come back and have another go in the second one. Even worse, someone gets sent off for VC in the first game and they can play in the second, you can guarantee the other team aren't going to be happy at that. There really should be a rule to say that a player sent off in the first game can't play in the second.

Thanks RustyRef, is that definitely true for all counties? My RDO has told me they don't count at all.

I'm fixtures sec for my league and I will engineer fixtures that are not double headers for referees on promotion from that CFA if necessary. We have referees from at least four CFAs, ideally this would be standardised.

It used to be a national policy, but I don't know if that is still the case. I do know one county who are allowing observations to be carried out on double headers, so it is a bit ridiculous that some don't allow them to count towards your 20 games, yet at least one is allowing them to be used for observations and count as two games towards your requirement.

Back