A&H

Open Age Double-foul: pen or DFK?

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This happened in my game today.

Attacker making progress towards the goal, defender chasing. Just outside the area there's a shoulder into the back which unbalances the attacker. I'm raising my whistle to my mouth, I'm not going to blow immediately in case the attacker rides the challenge and there's an advantage. Before I even get the whistle up the defender follows up with a holding offence inside the PA. I blow.

Do I give the DFK or 'play advantage' and give the pen?

The Referee Store
Had this in one of my games a few weeks ago, very similar sequence of play, where I gave a pen. And in the deafening firepit of “REF THE FIRST FOUL BACK THERE REF WHAT THE F*** REF REF REF ITS OUTSIDE THE BOX REF” I couldn’t in my brain verbalise well to the players why I had given a pen.

Then of course in the car on the way home the explanation is “the advantage has materialised for the attacker and you’ve then committed a new foul in the box, hence penalty. If you hadn’t committed the second foul and the attacker lost the ball I would have pulled it back for the first foul back outside the box.”

Had this in one of my games a few weeks ago, very similar sequence of play, where I gave a pen. And in the deafening firepit of “REF THE FIRST FOUL BACK THERE REF WHAT THE F*** REF REF REF ITS OUTSIDE THE BOX REF” I couldn’t in my brain verbalise well to the players why I had given a pen.

Then of course in the car on the way home the explanation is “the advantage has materialised for the attacker and you’ve then committed a new foul in the box, hence penalty. If you hadn’t committed the second foul and the attacker lost the ball I would have pulled it back for the first foul back outside the box.”
Or in other words, the advantage goes to the offended player/team, not to the perpetrators!

Back