A&H

DOMS (Delayed onset Muscle Soreness)

Richard smith

Do any of the forum members have any specific tricks for dealing with DOMS???
I only ask as I have recently upped the training output, which has led to my thighs and hamstrings have becoming sore in the days following games & training sessions

The Referee Store
I had this, it was undiagnosed but I definitely had it, no issues in games, 1-2 days later stiff as a board!

Warm down, keep moving. Lower your training loads before a match if it starts impacting your performance. You'll get used to it eventually.

Proper warm ups.
Proper warm downs
After a long run or a tough game I sit in a cold bath for 12 minutes
Also find Epsom salt baths to really help

Yoga.

A few years ago, I started to take my fitness seriously, lost some weight, running, spinning, swimming, all good stuff for a man just the right side of fifty. But, probably like most blokes, I didn’t take my warm up and warm downs seriously- a few lunges at the end of a run and I was done.

I was fit, but not supple.

About 18 months ago, I took up yoga, go to a class once a week. I’m not into it for spiritualism or anything like that, but for once a week I am led through an hour of stretching. I have also got into the habit of after a run or spinning class getting my yoga mat out and spending 10 mins or so going through a routine I have learnt in class.

I am now much more supple and, although I may ache the morning after a class, I know it has done me the world of good and I ache much less after strenuous exercise.

Reactions: Kes
Warm up and down properly, not always easy at grass roots, I would go to my gym on the way home after the match and do a quick 10-15 minutes on the bike followed by plenty of stretching.

Keeping properly hydrated can also help,

Keeping hydrated has never been a problem for me
I do however have issues in finding the needed time to stretch properly after both training and games
what strategies do members use to ensure they do have enough time to stretch after both games and training sessions

Yoga.

A few years ago, I started to take my fitness seriously, lost some weight, running, spinning, swimming, all good stuff for a man just the right side of fifty. But, probably like most blokes, I didn’t take my warm up and warm downs seriously- a few lunges at the end of a run and I was done.

I was fit, but not supple.

About 18 months ago, I took up yoga, go to a class once a week. I’m not into it for spiritualism or anything like that, but for once a week I am led through an hour of stretching. I have also got into the habit of after a run or spinning class getting my yoga mat out and spending 10 mins or so going through a routine I have learnt in class.

I am now much more supple and, although I may ache the morning after a class, I know it has done me the world of good and I ache much less after strenuous exercise.

Good call Jeff.
I'm thinking of giving that a go myself. 😎

Do any of the forum members have any specific tricks for dealing with DOMS???
I only ask as I have recently upped the training output, which has led to my thighs and hamstrings have becoming sore in the days following games & training sessions

Warm up and stretch and cool down and stretch after each game. Maybe look at getting a foam Roller for home and maybe a sports massage once a month or so. Also drink Plenty of water. I ice my legs or get a cold bath or shower on my legs when get home also this helps. Or go on ebay and search for re usable ice packs and use those for 20 mins

Back