A&H

DOGSO-R or advantage and goal?

Will you play advantage for a goal (granted awareness), or stop play and give red card?

• Play advantage, goal

• Stop play, give red card

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not quite sure why a few people have mentioned that the attacker's last touch took the ball at an angle whereby he wasn't (at that point) heading directly towards the goal. That's irrelevant so long as the player's overall movement was towards the goal - which it was.

Presence of a covering defender and the likelihood of keeping control of the ball are both valid considerations here but when it comes to the player's direction of travel, according to the law the consideration is the:

general direction of the play.

As far as I'm concerned, the general direction here was towards the goal, so the direction of the final touch is not a factor in the decision.

A&H International
If anyone is interested, the team who's 'goal' did not stand in this clip, lost the game by one goal.

So a hypothetical here. Play the advantage and the player misses instead of scores?

YC keeper and goal kick?

So a hypothetical here. Play the advantage and the player misses instead of scores?

YC keeper and goal kick?
There is just under 3 seconds between the foul and the ball being in the net. About 2 second between the foul and the ball being kicked into the net. The trick to playing advantage here is delaying the whistle for just the right amount of time to be sure of whatever the outcome is going to be to a reasonably high degree. If a goal is not forthcoming then blow the whistle. Else play advantage. This is different to two bites at the cherry because it prevents an opponent from a send off as well. Had it been in the box, I would blow straight away.

Everyone has gone for the right option here, play advantage and allow goal. However, I’d be intrigued to see what the vote would be if the video stopped at the challenge. Easy to know the right call when we see the goal would’ve gone in.

Everyone has gone for the right option here, play advantage and allow goal. However, I’d be intrigued to see what the vote would be if the video stopped at the challenge. Easy to know the right call when we see the goal would’ve gone in.
Then I would have added another option as "delay whistle a couple of seconds to see what happens" 😉. I would like to think that would have been the top choice.

Personally, I’d be looking to delay any whistle or signal until I’m certain the 2nd attacker is getting a clean shot away (white 20 doesn’t stay on his feet and block or challenge). As soon as that’s obvious then I’m taking the credit with a big signal and shout.

Any hint of the defender staying on his feet and impacting the 2nd attacker then I’m pulling it back.

YC keeper and goal kick?

In this case, yes. The shot the player has here is better than a free kick from the spot of the foul with a wall in front of it.

Obviously, a penalty kick doesn’t have a lot of situations that are a better scoring opportunity. Unless the ball is in the net or the attackers have a shot into a completely open net from inside 12 yards after a second or two, probably better to award the penalty kick.

If the attackers have an open net from six yards and scuff it wide, that’s on them. If the coach or players complain, simply say they missed a better shot than a penalty kick. You did your job in that case.

Back