A&H

Dissent

ScotRef

RefChat Addict
I wasn’t the referee for this particular game, but towards the end of the game the away side were losing 1-0 and thought they were hard done to by the referee. A few minutes later a coach had a go at him. The coach shouted something along the lines of “are you doing them a home job here” insinuating he was accepting a bribe.
What would be your sanction (if any) in this scenario?

The Referee Store
I wasn’t the referee for this particular game, but towards the end of the game the away side were losing 1-0 and thought they were hard done to by the referee. A few minutes later a coach had a go at him. The coach shouted something along the lines of “are you doing them a home job here” insinuating he was accepting a bribe.

Public bollocking. Nothing else.

Public bollocking. Nothing else.

Yeah I agree, it's pretty low level stuff.

By all means take some action @Degnann but I think a red would be harsh. What would be your reaction to a player saying "there's 2 teams here ref" or similar?

Yeah I agree, it's pretty low level stuff.

By all means take some action @Degnann but I think a red would be harsh. What would be your reaction to a player saying "there's 2 teams here ref" or similar?
Maybe but based on the post of it insinuating they are taking a bribe, therefore questioning the referees integrity and therefore calling them a cheat. He walks.
Of course it can also be said with no insinuating of a bribe or cheating then this wouldn’t be a dismissal

I don’t think an insinuation of being a “homer” is an insinuation of taking a bribe. I don’t see a send off from those words—caution, perhaps, depending on tone, etc.

I think stating "insinuating he was accepting a bribe" should really be followed by "in your/my opinion".

Just like any other case where you dice where the line lies between appealing/frustration/dissent/OFFINABUS, context is very very important. How he says it is part of the context. You have explained a little bit of context...
  • From what you have written, it's not something I would ignore.
  • It could be a short calm talking to the coach if it was the very first time he said something, he said it as frustration, he didn't continue with it and the game is not heated.
  • Some of the points mentioned before not the case then it could be a public and animated bullocking.
  • If he'd been warned before, it could be a dissent yellow card
  • It would be very rare case I would send off for this. I would have to be reasonably certain he is saying/insulating I am taking bribe and he means it.

(@Kes love my dot points :) )

I would caution the coach for dissent. At local level, I my tolerance for coach behaviour is significantly lower than it is at higher levels.

I mean....it's nonsense, and deserves to be treated as such! Why on earth would the referee have any preference for a home team, particularly at lower levels where they probably haven't heard of either team before they got sent the assignment? I was once doing a cup match and got accused repeatedly of favouring the away team because "ref's always favour the team from the higher league". Which was clearly ridiculous as I had chosen not to research the teams pre-match and so had no idea that the away team was from a higher division!

It's potentially dissent, but it's nothing more than paranoid ramblings. If it's loud/persistent/disruptive then I might caution - but that means the caution is the result of the tone rather than for any particular content.

Maybe but based on the post of it insinuating they are taking a bribe, therefore questioning the referees integrity and therefore calling them a cheat. He walks.

This one always makes me laugh.

The referee knows he hasn't "taken a bribe" (what a ridiculous notion at grass roots anyway), and the coach himself knows that the referee hasn't taken a bribe, so it's actually not insinuating or accusing anything. It's just ironic piss-taking. :rolleyes:

Ironically, it'd be more OFFENSIVE/INSULTING/ABUSIVE if it were actually true!! :D

This one always makes me laugh.

The referee knows he hasn't "taken a bribe" (what a ridiculous notion at grass roots anyway), and the coach himself knows that the referee hasn't taken a bribe, so it's actually not insinuating or accusing anything. It's just ironic piss-taking. :rolleyes:

Ironically, it'd be more OFFENSIVE/INSULTING/ABUSIVE if it were actually true!! :D
Agree, I dismissed a manager for something similar recently. It was really poor refereeing. A rare mistake ;)

Agree, I dismissed a manager for something similar recently. It was really poor refereeing. A rare mistake ;)

Horse for courses mate. For some it's simply the fact that they said it to offend you that seems enough for them to get a red card. For me, I just find it laughable.

Horse for courses mate. For some it's simply the fact that they said it to offend you that seems enough for them to get a red card. For me, I just find it laughable.
Yup, I felt like I needed a 'personality transplant' after sending that fella packing
He said something like, 'you'll be going for a piss-up with the home team straight after the game!'
He was accurate on the first count as I'm fond of the pub; he just guessed the second bit

Yup, I felt like I needed a 'personality transplant' after sending that fella packing
He said something like, 'you'll be going for a piss-up with the home team straight after the game!'
He was accurate on the first count as I'm fond of the pub; he just guessed the second bit

Sounds to me like he got what he deserved .... ;)

Truth be told, I sent him off because I didn't like him. Someone else could've said the same words and I'd have turned it into a good laugh!
I didn't know I disliked him at the time, but I did in retrospect. No sleep lost!
Unfortunately the brain dead won't realise that if you are P* and then give me a reason to get rid then I'm going to take it.

cmon guys no wonder referee abuse is at the level it is if a lot of referees are not taking any action.
you have a nice shiney red card dont keep it comfy and warm in your pocke,t get rid of any body who directly or indirectly
calls you a cheat. how many of you would ignore being called a cheat

Back