A&H

Disgusting

The Referee Store
yep, appalling / disgusting etc etc...no doubt we'll see another similar incident like this in few weeks /months time though

We're all people, gender doesn't come into it. Violence is not acceptable anywhere and that is all that should be said.

Reactions: Kes
I couldn't disagree any more intensely than I do with this.
What don't you agree with Ryan, obviously not "violence is not acceptable anywhere", but can't see how its more acceptable if its male v male?

Or Female against male - then what?

No legal expert, but I'm guessing if you square up to someone your age/build and assault them, you would get a lesser punishment than attacking a defenceless 85 year old for example - are you implying that it matters if that 85 year old is male or female?

I'm sure if CFA/FAs started handing out drastically different punishments based on gender of victim, someone would step in pretty quickly?

Don't follow your argument - sorry?

What don't you agree with Ryan, obviously not "violence is not acceptable anywhere", but can't see how its more acceptable if its male v male?

Or Female against male - then what?

No legal expert, but I'm guessing if you square up to someone your age/build and assault them, you would get a lesser punishment than attacking a defenceless 85 year old for example - are you implying that it matters if that 85 year old is male or female?

I'm sure if CFA/FAs started handing out drastically different punishments based on gender of victim, someone would step in pretty quickly?

Don't follow your argument - sorry?

Yes. If a man squares up to an 85 year old woman and smacks her, that is significantly more disgusting than doing it to an 85 year old man (which is equally disgusting).

Yes. If a man squares up to an 85 year old woman and smacks her, that is significantly more disgusting than doing it to an 85 year old man (which is equally disgusting).
Fair enough, its an aggravating factor is your point, which is fair enough.

As we know if someone insults a referee the punishment is greater if reference is made to gender, race, perceived sexual orientation etc - so the insult part is wrong, but more wrong if a person's race etc is mentioned.

Difficult isn't it - just for discussion purposes, does that mean a female player assaulting a male referee should be treated more leniently than the other way round, as here?

Not trying to trip anyone up, purely for discussion - don't think there are any categorical rights/wrongs.

I think violence against a women by a man, whether on a football pitch or elsewhere, is always going to be seen in a worse light than violence by man against man or woman against woman. Its the old adage you don't hit a woman., the honour amongst villains thing that they never target women, and so on.

What the player did was wrong on every level, but for me that fact the referee was female does make it worse.

It's astounding that the players think they can hinder the police in arresting the fat mess just because they are still in a football pitch!

How ridiculous is our sport sometimes

It's astounding that the players think they can hinder the police in arresting the fat mess just because they are still in a football pitch!

How ridiculous is our sport sometimes

I had the same thought. It really goes some way to indicating the players' mentality. They truly think that they are immune to consequences on the grounds that they are players.

While some in society find some forms of violence acceptable, then we have this problem. Where is the line drawn on what is and isn't acceptable? I stand by what I said, but I won't mention gender and just say violence is not acceptable. Then hopefully nobody can disagree with it.

Last edited:
While some in society find some forms of violence acceptable, then we have this problem. Where is the line drawn on what is and isn't acceptable? I stand by what I said, but I won't mention gender and just say violence is not acceptable. Then hopefully nobody can disagree with it.

Nobody has said that violence is acceptable. In fact, I was explicit: violence is unacceptable; violence by a man against a woman is even more heinous.

Back