The Ref Stop

Difficult Referees

Samuel

Level 5 Referee
Everyone knows at least one difficult referee who will end up on your line, whether its a lack of interest or thinking they are going to be in the middle of a WC final one day. I just want to know what is your favourite way to reel them in and make sure it doesn't hamper your match control?

The Ref Stop
Everyone knows at least one difficult referee who will end up on your line, whether its a lack of interest or thinking they are going to be in the middle of a WC final one day. I just want to know what is your favourite way to reel them in and make sure it doesn't hamper your match control?
Not easy because they are usually so set in their ways, they mostly don’t/wont change for anyone. I think the best you can do is to maintain a positive/encouraging relationship with them for as long as you can, but if they slip up etc, then have to inform them at half time/full time.

Not easy because they are usually so set in their ways, they mostly don’t/wont change for anyone.
The worst bit is sometimes I just don't think they realise they are being difficult, and that is normally the overconfident ones as I know I can get on with them on a personal level just struggle when in a team together.

The worst bit is sometimes I just don't think they realise they are being difficult, and that is normally the overconfident ones as I know I can get on with them on a personal level just struggle when in a team together.
You have probably hit the nail on the head - they don’t think they are being difficult, and most will be like that in the job they do and at home - that’s their make up.

This is one I expect we can all empathise with and you have to be realistic that it will probably be more about damage limitation that solving the problem.

My suggestion would be to think separately about 2 questions

1. Why are they 'difficult' and does that give you any possible approach ? E.g. empathising with disgruntlement but asking them to help you personally today

2. What do they do that actually causes a problem and can you address it directly. E.g. being more specific than usual about the areas you want them to give a decision in or making it clear in advance that you don't want to fall out unnecessarily with both teams before kick-off by being picky over 1/2 inch of white sock. Being greeted by both captains at the end of the tunnel with 'who is that t**t you have brought with you today' is not the greatest start to an afternoon !

That being said some will do what they have always done and the best you can do is know it might be coming and be prepared to deal with it

One tool I expect many of us have honed over the years is the explanation of why the more experienced AR really needs to be on the junior line away from the benches !

One tool I expect many of us have honed over the years is the explanation of why the more experienced AR really needs to be on the junior line away from the benches !
Ahh yes the great development opportunity excuse, I can say I enjoy that one.

But I do think there is one thing you cannot control and that is professionalism, I've worked with a few officials who just have none and that is my biggest hate. I understand to many people it's "just step 7 football" but as someone who wants to make it up the leagues I want to look the part regardless of the level.

Ahh yes the great development opportunity excuse, I can say I enjoy that one.

But I do think there is one thing you cannot control and that is professionalism, I've worked with a few officials who just have none and that is my biggest hate. I understand to many people it's "just step 7 football" but as someone who wants to make it up the leagues I want to look the part regardless of the level.
I got put senior on a game recently and it was kind of obvious that was why to be honest benches only needed a word once all game but the other AR had been going on about them being a nightmare previously and that I would need to step on it early.

I think sometimes the benches just like having a fresh face in front of them, I was unfortunate to be on a senior line with a manager who won't see eye to eye with me but last season a mate of mine who's a few year's younger had no issue.

In my experience, once a manger has decided he won't like you it takes a lot to change their mind.

I think sometimes the benches just like having a fresh face in front of them, I was unfortunate to be on a senior line with a manager who won't see eye to eye with me but last season a mate of mine who's a few year's younger had no issue.

In my experience, once a manger has decided he won't like you it takes a lot to change their mind.
To be fair it's the same the other way around - will take something to shift our perception of a manager we've had a problem with. All we can do is be professional and start with a clean slate and hope, but not expect, they do the same

You need to be more thorough than usual in your pre-match instructions, cover everything and if there is anything specific you know they struggle with ask them to confirm that they understand what you want. I didn't come across many ARs with that kind of attitude, the more common issue was they just weren't very good. I had one on a women's game who had a reputation for being busy and lived up to that by calling me over 7 times during the game. And in my first game at L3 I had two new L4s on the line, one was excellent but the other had clearly never lined before and caused me all kinds of problems, and as he was more experienced than the other AR I'd made him senior.

I found it much more common the other way around, i.e. lining to senior referees with difficult personalities. One who was L3 for years wanted nothing from his ARs other than ball out of play and offside, and if they went against this it got extremely heated in the changing room at half time or full time, on one occasion AR2 had to separate the referee and AR1 after they went toe to toe in the changing room. And I had serious issues with a couple of L2As when I was lining to them. One would leave traps with the nets, like spotting tiny holes or removing pegs, get the ARs to go and check the nets during the pre-match instructions and then humiliate them if they missed it. And another would blatantly lie during the debrief with the observer, blaming the other officials for things he had done, including once with me when he told the observer he disagreed with a decision I made even though I'd spoken to him before making it. To the extent that I would come off games if I got put with him as it would be a truly awful day out.

You need to be more thorough than usual in your pre-match instructions, cover everything and if there is anything specific you know they struggle with ask them to confirm that they understand what you want. I didn't come across many ARs with that kind of attitude, the more common issue was they just weren't very good. I had one on a women's game who had a reputation for being busy and lived up to that by calling me over 7 times during the game. And in my first game at L3 I had two new L4s on the line, one was excellent but the other had clearly never lined before and caused me all kinds of problems, and as he was more experienced than the other AR I'd made him senior.

I found it much more common the other way around, i.e. lining to senior referees with difficult personalities. One who was L3 for years wanted nothing from his ARs other than ball out of play and offside, and if they went against this it got extremely heated in the changing room at half time or full time, on one occasion AR2 had to separate the referee and AR1 after they went toe to toe in the changing room. And I had serious issues with a couple of L2As when I was lining to them. One would leave traps with the nets, like spotting tiny holes or removing pegs, get the ARs to go and check the nets during the pre-match instructions and then humiliate them if they missed it. And another would blatantly lie during the debrief with the observer, blaming the other officials for things he had done, including once with me when he told the observer he disagreed with a decision I made even though I'd spoken to him before making it. To the extent that I would come off games if I got put with him as it would be a truly awful day out.
The addition of the newer sets of comms and audio now being recorded have almost entirely eliminated that cover yourself/blame ARs attitude.
It wouldn't surprise me however if the 2A you mention is well known for such behaviour. I think I know to whom you refer even though I did not witness the traps personally.

The addition of the newer sets of comms and audio now being recorded have almost entirely eliminated that cover yourself/blame ARs attitude.
It wouldn't surprise me however if the 2A you mention is well known for such behaviour. I think I know to whom you refer even though I did not witness the traps personally.
Don't think he has been active for a few years now.

Back