A&H

Open Age Difficult Linesman?

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Hey guys,

So I had a bit of a tricky game yesterday morning, there was a bit of dew or whatever on the pitch which isn't to be expected, but the pitch markings weren't the greatest - they were visible from about 10 yards or so maybe less - but the pitch had a bit of a gleam about it so it was a bit difficult at some points to see if the ball went out or not.

20 minutes in and nothing's happened really, I've blown the whistle maybe once or twice for offiside but nothing else, home side go 2-0 up - only to eventually lose 6-4 - and about 5 minutes before half time away striker runs into the edge of the box on the far side, two home players trying to catch him behind they both get hands on and pull him back. I blew up for the foul and the away players are jumping round, the home players are asking me what happened - at this point I hadn't pointed to the spot, because of the crappy pitch markings I wasn't sure if he was inside the box - walk over, and although the players have walked off it was clearly in.

Point to the spot, uproar from the home team saying it wasn't in the box, how could I see! Linesman on that side, who's the home team manager starts ranting it was never in, I stand by the decision, keeper saves and taker knocks in the rebound. Then Away team get another goal. 2-2 half time.

About three quarters of the way through the game, and the away team, who were much better have run away with it - 6-2 up, dreadful defending and goalkeeping from home team. Ball gets played over for the away team I look up and the linesman (home team manager) is stood on the half way line not even bothered, away team don't score but home team are angry about the offside.

I went over to the linesman and ask him if he could please run the line, he said there was no point since I didn't believe him in the first half - why he continued to line for part of the second I don't know - I said to him that he was lining for the benefit of his players. Then he said he was injured and couldn't run, so I asked him to walk up half way between the halfway line and the corner which he did. Five minutes later ball goes out for a throw in, he gives it to his team, which it clearly wasn't, I overrule him and he chucked the flag and went to chat to the guys on the sideline at this point his own players start shouting at him. No lineman for the last ten minutes.

He made me wait for the fee at the end, which was fine.

Any advice, firstly on how to deal with these kind of pitch markings? - I suppose my positioning could've been better but at times. And secondly, how to deal with difficult linesman?

The Referee Store
If you start getting difficult linesman first you do what you did then if you get what he did you ask him if he going to run the line propley if not dismiss him and ask for another

Only one thing for it, it's the hardest part of reffing on the parks. You can never appear to be much more than 20 yards from play, any further and you run the risks you encountered . If you are Jonny on the spot they can't argue. It's knackering , but it works. You'll also learn to read dropping zones and getting to them early becomes second nature.

A free kick taker grabbing 2yards by the halfway line in less important than the elbows and holding in the box - get yourself into a good spot and enjoy the fun.

We have all had those club lines, don't sweat it. It is almost certainly nothing you have said or done. No one volunteers to take the line. In my experience it's usually the worst sub. I have 2 sets of flags- my nice touchlines for neutrals and a scabby set for clubs.

ive had it before when ive done my pitch inspection and realised early morning dew combined with some bright sun will definitely hamper ability to see the markings. ive pre empted on these occasions and brought it up with the managers and captains to cut a bit of slack for mainly the ARs ,
that possibly wouldnt have helped in your situation, as he sounds like he was going to be a little tricky in any case.
its been discussed recently in these parts though about what you have asked your ARs to do prior to the KO... assuming you havent asked him to give you in/out of PA decisions, then its not a case of you not believing him, he;s just giving you irrelevant feedback !
Think though ultimately @Paul March has given some great advice above... which i will also take on board

Yeah, in this tricky situation I always make it clear that the main thing I need from the CAR's is ball in/out of play - with a flag being required if it goes out, even if they don't know which way.

I've recently realised that if you make sure you brief them in the centre circle (ideally at the same time, assessors like that!), it's very easy to point out if the lines aren't visible from there and most will be able to help you out with that as a absolute minimum.

Back