A&H

DEN vs TUN Matchday 3 - Palazuelos (MEX)

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #6
Denmark v Tunisia
Tuesday, 22 November 2022
16:00 local time (12:00 EST, 13:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: César Arturo Ramos Palazuelos (MEX)

AR1: Alberto Morín Méndez (MEX)
AR2: Miguel Ángel Hernández Paredes (MEX)
Fourth Official: Said Martinez (HON)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Walter López (HON)
Video Assistant Referee: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Armando Villarreal (USA)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Gabriel Chade (ARG)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Juan Martínez Munuera (ESP)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Mahmoud Abouelregal (EGY)

The Referee Store
some very delayed and tentative throw in signals from ref and near side ar, from (what seem to be) pretty obvious decisions.

The commentator.... "Different game, different referee they look at it. Today they decide not to look at it."
They look at everything you fcuking pleb.

The commentator.... "Different game, different referee they look at it. Today they decide not to look at it."
They look at everything you fcuking pleb.
very surprised at peter walton chiming in to similar effect as well. you'd have thought they 'got' it by now.

Am I wrong in thinking around 83rd minute mark the ref gave a goal kick when the Tunisian player tackled the Danish player in the area but the ball didn't appear out of play....

Am I wrong in thinking around 83rd minute mark the ref gave a goal kick when the Tunisian player tackled the Danish player in the area but the ball didn't appear out of play....

Yeah it didn't go out. Tunisian player didn't have slight contact on the ball. Would have been a PK otherwise.

Seems that can't help the R, the AR, or the VAR in the evaluation process. (Though whether it was a C&O error not to call the PK is another question.) I'd love to have heard the communications on that one. Did the R tell the booth "I don't have a foul there," or "the ball was out before the foul"? Seems very different analysis for the VAR in each case.

oh wow, yes referee! totally agree with that 100%

brilliant

never a pen, ball clearly comes off his body then arm, and he's given a foul for a clear off the ball push as well.

love it

Yeah it didn't go out. Tunisian player didn't have slight contact on the ball. Would have been a PK otherwise.
I thought that should have been reviewed too for a penalty, it looked like one to me as the ball did not go out of play. Does it matter that the foul occurred off the pitch? (Beyond the goal line)?

i'd like to think not
In that case, why was it sent down for on-field review?

I could see a sneaky workaround to overturn the potentially game-changing corner decision in light of the obvious offensive foul, but that’s clearly outside the approved use of VAR!

I thought that should have been reviewed too for a penalty, it looked like one to me as the ball did not go out of play. Does it matter that the foul occurred off the pitch? (Beyond the goal line)?
It does not matter that it was off the pitch. Law 12 states:

If, when the ball is in play:
• a player commits an offence against a match official or an opposing player, substitute, substituted or sent-off player, or team official outside the field of play or
• a substitute, substituted or sent-off player, or team official commits an offence against, or interferes with, an opposing player or a match official
outside the field of play,
play is restarted with a free kick on the boundary line nearest to where the offence/interference occurred; for direct free kick offences, a penalty kick is awarded if this is within the offender’s penalty area.

In that case, why was it sent down for on-field review?

I could see a sneaky workaround to overturn the potentially game-changing corner decision in light of the obvious offensive foul, but that’s clearly outside the approved use of VAR!

ha i thought that! but that would be really dodgy...

i just don't think it's a pen. it's hit his body then arm at very close proximity.

Well done that Ref! I think we would have seen a penalty given in the Premier League (wrongly in my opinion ) claiming the left arm was in an unnatural position and away from his body.
Really glad the Ref said No

I have the feeling that the penalty would have been awarded had it not been for him giving the defensive free kick for the push just prior. Not necessarily saying I agree, but I reckon they would have given it.

I have the feeling that the penalty would have been awarded had it not been for him giving the defensive free kick for the push just prior. Not necessarily saying I agree, but I reckon they would have given it.
That has to be the case. Unless the VAR thinks it was a C&O error not to call the PK, there is nothing to send down. And once there is a PK, then the APP is in play.

I withdraw my earlier comment (I hadn't been paying enough attention and didn't realize the restart had changed). It appears that the R and VAR were on the same page. (At least mostly. While the VAR has to believe there was a C&O error to send it down, I believe that once the R is as the screen, he can call what he sees. So I think it is possible that the R didn't think it should be a PK [or didn't spend any time worrying about whether it was or not] but did believe it was a C&O foul coming out.)

Now that we have a PK chalked off for a foul in the APP, does that suggest closer review of the APP going forward? We'll see.

Back