A&H

DEN vs TUN Matchday 3 - Palazuelos (MEX)

The Referee Store
Well done that Ref! I think we would have seen a penalty given in the Premier League (wrongly in my opinion ) claiming the left arm was in an unnatural position and away from his body.
Really glad the Ref said No
He didn’t say no on the handball, he just saw a foul before hand. I think his arm isn’t in a natural position and think penalty would have been given.

The most worrying thing here is they have a small army of VARs in front of massive TV screens with the ability to pause and rewind. The recommend a penalty, but don't spot a foul in the immediate build up. The referee then watches feeds he is being given on a tiny TV screen and spots a foul that they didn't. You couldn't really make it up.

I suspect, as happens before every World Cup, is FIFA have issued a specific directive to referees, and this time it is penalise any shirt holding. That isn't correct under law, and obviously the directive doesn't extend to bear hugs and rugby tackles.

The most worrying thing here is they have a small army of VARs in front of massive TV screens with the ability to pause and rewind. The recommend a penalty, but don't spot a foul in the immediate build up. The referee then watches feeds he is being given on a tiny TV screen and spots a foul that they didn't. You couldn't really make it up.
Why are you convinced the VAR didn't see in the foul in the APP? Clearing the APP is expected if the VAR identifies a C&O PK. If the VAR sees the PK and the foul, as I understand the protocol, it is that it needs to be brought for an OFR, as the R has to decide if the foul in the APP negates the PK. (I think, but am not sure, that once he's at the screen the R could give the DFK out even if he doesn't think a PK is warranted, at least if it is part of what is shown to him--if they were sufficiently separate, I don't think the VAR would go back to show him the footage of the potential foul if the R decides he wouldn't give the PK.)

(I haven't tried to look, but I have seen other's suggest that the video actually shown the R was directed at the foul in the APP more than the PK.)

Why are you convinced the VAR didn't see in the foul in the APP? Clearing the APP is expected if the VAR identifies a C&O PK. If the VAR sees the PK and the foul, as I understand the protocol, it is that it needs to be brought for an OFR, as the R has to decide if the foul in the APP negates the PK. (I think, but am not sure, that once he's at the screen the R could give the DFK out even if he doesn't think a PK is warranted, at least if it is part of what is shown to him--if they were sufficiently separate, I don't think the VAR would go back to show him the footage of the potential foul if the R decides he wouldn't give the PK.)

(I haven't tried to look, but I have seen other's suggest that the video actually shown the R was directed at the foul in the APP more than the PK.)
Can we stop using acronyms, I am one of the most experienced referees on here and genuinely have no idea what APP is? I get the other ones, but APP is beyond me. It literally takes 2 seconds to type referee instead of R, penalty instead of PK, something for whatever the heck APP is, and so on.

Acronym rant over, I might be able to answer your question if you explain what APP is 😂

Attacking Phase of Play, which is admittedly specific to the VAR process. But I'm frankly surprised that isn't obvious from the VAR context, as that is what the VAR is supposed to review on every PK or goal (or potential PK to be sent down for an OFR).

Attacking Phase of Play, which is admittedly specific to the VAR process. But I'm frankly surprised that isn't obvious from the VAR context, as that is what the VAR is supposed to review on every PK or goal (or potential PK to be sent down for an OFR).
Thanks, it looked to me that the referee was shown the potential handball but during that saw the defensive free kick. Without audio we won't know, although the commentators who do seem to have some kind of access saying the VAR check was for a potential handball. It just further highlights the need for letting spectators in the ground and TV audience know what is happening.

We complain about VAR in the Premier League, but FIFA aren't exactly proving they can do it better. Whereas UEFA did at the last Euros.

Ref says no to VAR corner shove! That’s not in the script! Lino flags offside! Amazing.

I have a feeling these boys won’t be seen again this tournament.

Thanks, it looked to me that the referee was shown the potential handball but during that saw the defensive free kick. Without audio we won't know, although the commentators who do seem to have some kind of access saying the VAR check was for a potential handball. It just further highlights the need for letting spectators in the ground and TV audience know what is happening.
The check was for a possible PK--that's the only thing that could have been checked on that play. The check revealing (in the mind of the VAR) that a C&O PK was missed meant that the check continued on to the attacking phase of play, which revealed the second C&O error in the preceding foul. (Not fun for the ref to be told he made two C&O errors . . . )

I totally agree better communication is needed. And it just isn't that hard: the VAR team could just give a one sentence report to the media: "While a foul that would result in a penalty kick was identified, a foul by the attacking team took place first, which is why a direct free kick was given to the defensive team." The communication really isn't that hard. I'm not an advocate for Rs doing it to the stadium, but the VAR booth giving it to the media would be so, so easy. And especially since so many broadcasters get it so, so wrong, it would be a great service to the public and enhance the credibility of the system.

Or the far more plausible explanation - VAR recommends a review for the possible penalty for handball, and tells the referee that there is also a potential attacking offence immediately prior to the possible handball which (if he deems it a foul) would take precedence. Given how little time the referee spent at the monitor (IIRC) before giving the defensive free kick, I'm confident he already knew what he was looking for by the time he had got to the monitor.

Or the far more plausible explanation - VAR recommends a review for the possible penalty for handball, and tells the referee that there is also a potential attacking offence immediately prior to the possible handball which (if he deems it a foul) would take precedence. Given how little time the referee spent at the monitor (IIRC) before giving the defensive free kick, I'm confident he already knew what he was looking for by the time he had got to the monitor.
Possibly. Demonstrated yet again though the absolute need for some kind of communication to the crowd and TV audience. The caption said VAR check for a potential penalty, then the game restarts with a defensive free kick, the crowd wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.

Can we stop using acronyms, I am one of the most experienced referees on here and genuinely have no idea what APP is? I get the other ones, but APP is beyond me. It literally takes 2 seconds to type referee instead of R, penalty instead of PK, something for whatever the heck APP is, and so on.

Acronym rant over, I might be able to answer your question if you explain what APP is 😂
The Americans seem to love an acronym (winds me up) I mean they call their own team USMNT… tells you everything.

For international play like the WC, I think part of the problem is that some countries have well trained, well developed VARs to offer, and some don’t. But there is the constant pressure to use folks from various countries. It is true with ARs and ARs, too, but I think the gap among the VARs is much more striking. It’s a job that sounds kinda easy, but it isn’t. And has been said, involves a number of skills that aren’t inherent in being a good R. I do think we need good Rs to be the ones who become VARs, as there is so much judgment and the VAR needs trust from the R. But not every good referee makes a good VAR.

Back