A&H

Deliberate handball by the keeper

Got My exam wed night minty, I’ve got no chance of passing.

I read three pages of LOTG and my brain just turns to scrambled egg, that’s why I prefer to discuss the laws it sinks in that way.

I should be doing 20 questions a day on the quiz on my phone, I’ll have to start.

I try and brush up on the laws once a week, it really doesn't take long to read the whole thing. You can even just read the most relevant bits, no need to get caught up on 'Field of Play' for example if you're doing Sunday league. Fouls and misconduct much more relevant.

The Referee Store
When I started, the entire first season I'd read through one law the morning of or night before every game. Including the additional advice at the end.
Also, everytime I came across something where I was uncertain of the law, I'd look it up then review that entire chapter.
Prioritise Law 12 and Law 11. Learn those like the back of your hand and you'll be ahead of most of the pack.

When I started, the entire first season I'd read through one law the morning of or night before every game. Including the additional advice at the end.
Also, everytime I came across something where I was uncertain of the law, I'd look it up then review that entire chapter.
Prioritise Law 12 and Law 11. Learn those like the back of your hand and you'll be ahead of most of the pack.

Cheers so 11 & 12 is the most important? Any others? Because I’m gonna get stuck into the book tonite

Got My exam wed night minty, I’ve got no chance of passing.

I read three pages of LOTG and my brain just turns to scrambled egg, that’s why I prefer to discuss the laws it sinks in that way.

I should be doing 20 questions a day on the quiz on my phone, I’ll have to start.
That explains a lot......!

If you answer, stop play, dish out some yellows and restart with an IDFK you’ll get half of the ones you’re unsure of right!

I re-sat my exam last year (to start this season). I remember there was a lot of scenarios about offside. A few about the size of the pitch, the ball. Equipment came up as well.

A lot about freekicks, restarts and the correct caution/sending off offences. Including one tricky one about a penalty and if the ball can be kicked sideways...

So, I think pretty much all the Laws come up really. 12 and 11 are the big ones though.

When I first did the exam, some many moons ago, I remember there being a question that essentially required almost a recitation of Law 5... (That wasn't fun...)

Not really as you'll need a certain percentage to pass. If you know nothing about the others you'll fail!

Give me some credit Minty I know the ball needs to be round & the goals square or kind of square Atleast ;)

It is only red if it denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity. It may be a caution if you feel it wasn't DOGSO but did deny a promising attack, an example here might be where an attacker might have got to it but it wasn't obvious enough to be obvious. If there is no opponent anywhere near then no card at all is needed.

Circumference? Pressure? Goal dimensions? Pitch sizes?
With regard to Sunday morning referees ...

Circumference - generally somewhat on the rotund size
Pressure - best if you can handle it and not crack under repetitive shouts of 'In the Back' and 'Foul Throw'
Goal Dimensions - not large enough for the majority of players
Pitch Sizes - Smaller the better, especially when wet and muddy

:)

I remember my first appearance as an AR in a extra prelim qualifier FA Cup. Close game long ball over the top forward chasing it keeper comes to the edge of the box ball slowing down, forward getting faster........keeper reaches out of the box to gather the ball in.....I flag.......referee comes over " what have you seen?" Relate what I have seen, keeper red carded. I knew I was right, ref wasn't happy, supporters in stand behind me confirmed what I had seen but ref criticised me sarcastically in dressing room after game and also to club officials in clubhouse after game. He was just bothered about his reputation. Loved the journey the following season to another FA Cup pre lim game but luckily no controversy this time purchasing to see how the ref still died up to all club officials. By the way I was a player for far longer than I refereed but knew the laws very well and also knew how players tried to circumvent them and influence referees.

ref criticised me sarcastically in dressing room after game and also to club officials in clubhouse after game.

That is, in my opinion, completely out of order. Criticism in the dressing room is fine, but it should stay there. Bad-mouthing referees to the club officials is just not on.

I was under the impression that any kind of handling of the ball outside the box by keeper is a straight red.
I have to wonder where you're getting this from. I can't think of anything in the Laws of the Game that suggests this.
I remember my first appearance as an AR in a extra prelim qualifier FA Cup. Close game long ball over the top forward chasing it keeper comes to the edge of the box ball slowing down, forward getting faster........keeper reaches out of the box to gather the ball in.....I flag.......referee comes over " what have you seen?" Relate what I have seen, keeper red carded. I knew I was right, ref wasn't happy, supporters in stand behind me confirmed what I had seen but ref criticised me sarcastically in dressing room after game and also to club officials in clubhouse after game. He was just bothered about his reputation. Loved the journey the following season to another FA Cup pre lim game but luckily no controversy this time purchasing to see how the ref still died up to all club officials. By the way I was a player for far longer than I refereed but knew the laws very well and also knew how players tried to circumvent them and influence referees.
In this particular scenario, it sounds like DOGSO might have been a reasonable possibility so a red card is an understandable call. It's still not an automatic red though - the DOGSO criteria still have to be met. The main issue on these kinds of calls is the 'likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball.'

Obviously the forward did not already have control of the ball so you have to assess the likelihood that they would have gained control of the ball if the keeper did not handle it outside the area. I have seen a number of instances (there was a video clip posted on here a little while back, for instance) where keepers have been sent off even though it didn't appear to me that the opponent had a real likelihood of gaining control.

I was under the impression that any kind of handling of the ball outside the box by keeper is a straight red.

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH, another myth that many many believe! MIB, best advice is to learn those 7 red offences and then think has gk committed any of them?

Well I know what your homework is tonight :)

coming from a player to a referee, you really need to forget everything you 'know' about the 'rules' and start from scratch. It's surprising how much stuff 'everyone knows' that's completely wrong.

You wouldn't have been the only ref out there thinking it's an automatic red. The keeper isn't treated any differently to an outfield player when he leaves the PA.

And that means that if he carries the ball outside the area it isn't even going to be a card (but it is a DFK - another one a lot of refs get wrong!)

I think there IS a subtle difference when judging DOGSO in these circumstances though. If a player handles in this situation, there is likely to be at least 1 team mate between the offence and the goal (often more), usually there are no defenders behind the GK when he/she comes out of area to play the ball (with hands or feet) so DOGSO IS more likely, but of course, NOT mandatory.

Back