A&H

Deliberate handball by the keeper

I think there IS a subtle difference when judging DOGSO in these circumstances though. If a player handles in this situation, there is likely to be at least 1 team mate between the offence and the goal (often more), usually there are no defenders behind the GK when he/she comes out of area to play the ball (with hands or feet) so DOGSO IS more likely, but of course, NOT mandatory.

We had a great example of this in MLS this past weekend with Tim Howard.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...-lake-vs-colorado-rapids/details/video/150166

Unfortunately, the clip doesn't give you the better replay angle which shows Howard's forearm stopped the shot and not his chest. Also the young center doing only his 2nd MLS match has to send off the USAs greatest GK. Fortunately, he took it better than Buffon!

The Referee Store
I referee’d a u16 boys game. The attacker ran through towards the penalty area, the goalie came out of his box and blocked the shot with his arm. There was no defender either in line with the attacker or in front. If the goal keeper did not block the shot, it would have been on target. I issued a red card which the defending coach disputed at half time, says it wasn’t deliberate etc. anyone’s thoughts on this. By the way the team with a player down scored the only goal if the game after playing all but three mins with 10

I referee’d a u16 boys game. The attacker ran through towards the penalty area, the goalie came out of his box and blocked the shot with his arm. There was no defender either in line with the attacker or in front. If the goal keeper did not block the shot, it would have been on target. I issued a red card which the defending coach disputed at half time, says it wasn’t deliberate etc. anyone’s thoughts on this. By the way the team with a player down scored the only goal if the game after playing all but three mins with 10
If it met the criteria of being deliberate (i.e. taking into account how far the ball traveled and whether the hand/arm moved towards the ball), you did the right thing. There are no other factors to consider as you describe a clear DOGSO

You haven't given any details on the handling part, so we can't really give any insight there...

I think the point the two previous poster have made is that deliberate (as understood by the LOTG) matters in terms of judging if it is a handball offence or not. Once you've decided it is deliberate handball, deliberate or not become irrelevant when judging if it is a DOGS red card offence or not.

If it is a deliberate handling of the ball, then the sanction must be applied. If it is not a deliberate handling, then no foul has occurred and play must be allowed to continue. There is no option to punish handling and not apply the appropriate sanction--DOGSO-H, or otherwise.

Back