The Ref Stop

Deliberate blocking

Samuel

Level 5 Referee
I've noticed this season a large increase of players deliberately getting in the way of attackers rushing in from kickoffs (I know I've explained that poorly), and slowing down their route to the ball before it is hoofed up field. This is something that to me looks like deliberate obstruction but it is never penalised by anyone, including myself for that matter.

Is it actually an offence or is it just good game management?

The Ref Stop
I think what gets me the most is that you also see it on TV every week and the only time I saw a free kick given was the Partey vs Haaland situation.

I think we have to be very clear about whether it is blocking/impeding progress of opponent or simply being in the way, which is not necessarily an offence.

The definition of impeding progress of an opponent without contact (and I assume is the same for with contact save for the difference of contact or not)

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent."

So I think it very much depends on the exact circumstances of each case as to whether an offence occurs on not. I see no reason why standing in your own half, directly next to an opponent in their half is automatically an offence. We need a combination of factors listed above in the definition of ItPoaP before we can arrive at an offence..

I see no reason why standing in your own half, directly next to an opponent in their half is automatically an offence.
Probably comes down to my poor explanation, talking more specifically when the ball goes back to GK or CB and, usually, the DM moves into the path of the attacker who is chasing the ball trying to nick it from them.

I think it's one of those things where it hasn't been penalised for so long it has now started to become a bit more extreme and noticeable and people have stopped calling for it.

Probably comes down to my poor explanation, talking more specifically when the ball goes back to GK or CB and, usually, the DM moves into the path of the attacker who is chasing the ball trying to nick it from them.

I think it's one of those things where it hasn't been penalised for so long it has now started to become a bit more extreme and noticeable and people have stopped calling for it.

Fair but my answer is the same. If the Opponent moves into the path of the attacker to block, obstruct, slow down etc. when the ball is not in playing distance that is an offence.

Last edited:
All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent."
I quote this every week to players who happen upon each other in a contact sport and seem outraged their opponent hasn't dived out of the way

I think we have to be very clear about whether it is blocking/impeding progress of opponent or simply being in the way, which is not necessarily an offence.

The definition of impeding progress of an opponent without contact (and I assume is the same for with contact save for the difference of contact or not)

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

So I think it very much depends on the exact circumstances of each case as to whether an offence occurs on not. I see no reason why standing in your own half, directly next to an opponent in their half is automatically an offence. We need a combination of factors listed above in the definition of ItPoaP before we can arrive at an offence..
I would like to add to this.

Standing in your spot clearly doesn't fall under the offence because the definition requires "moving into..."

But also, from the definition, it's clear that there has to be an element of intent "to obstruct, block,...". So even if they move into another players path because that is their closest path to the ball and their intent is to get to the ball (and blocking is just a by product) then I am not going to penalise it.

Back