The Ref Stop

Debut Season Advice

'a thin piece of wood that has fallen or been cut off a tree'
Well played sir

Once in nearly 200 games, I faced abuse. But I followed protocol and kept my composure until the person left, then raised it with the FA, and that ended there for me.

However, constant nagging, questioning my competence, and confidence-draining behaviour are all too common, but not abuse. Lots of dissent and yellow cards later, you realize some walk a fine line with their frustration.

Many might quit due to this, even calling it abuse, but it's not.

Strong communication is key. Stopping the game, identifying troublemakers, and issuing clear, public warnings can be effective. A public rebuke isn't just yelling "stop it." It's loudly reminding the offender of their behaviour and the consequences if it continues.
In terms of what's nagging and questioning authority and decisions etc, as long as we can agree on its not the same for everyone, I agree with your post.

I have too often seen or heard of junior referees (teenage) crying on the field or in the change rooms and their parents pulling them out of the trade due to those types of comments or questions from the sideline. It was the behaviour I would have said emotional or physiological abuse. I could see 10 time worse happing to some other referees I know and I would just call that some idiots on the sideline. Those referees would sleep all the same at night.

Also agree with you on approach how to deal with it. But keep in mind we don't all have the same level of skill set, experience etc. knowing something is something, ability to implement it, especially under duress is another.

The Ref Stop
What was it exactly that you tried?

It's not about telling them how to tackle or behave. As Santa says sometimes it's useful to communicate the offence your about to call, player using arms. "Watch the arms" is a great example.

One of two things happens 1) they let go. 2) they don't and you call a foul, sold by the pre communication.
Agree, what is said is the key thing. I've heard a lot of referees over the years say "stay on your feet", "don't dive in", etc. That is giving out instructions rather than advice, and is very different to using words like careful, nothing silly, etc.

Agree, what is said is the key thing. I've heard a lot of referees over the years say "stay on your feet", "don't dive in", etc. That is giving out instructions rather than advice, and is very different to using words like careful, nothing silly, etc.
I hear get your arms down a lot. But the better teams use their arms a lot.

Which again is terrible to be shouting out. As jostling is a massive part of the game.

While I agree with most of the posts in regards to what words to use, for me the most important part is being vocal at the right moment. It tells the players who may be thinking about getting away with one if no one notices, that you are present and paying attention. It has the most preventative impact.

Of course, just as important, if you have been vocal before, no matter what words used, if you have let them get away with it, then you lose the effectiveness of your communication.

Back