A&H

David Elleray....Racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
It lacks context and in its bare state it looks shocking. Although quite what context would shine on it less damningly is a good question.

And Padfoot reads the daily mail! Lol you have been outed mate!

It lacks context and in its bare state it looks shocking. Although quite what context would shine on it less damningly is a good question.

And Padfoot reads the daily mail! Lol you have been outed mate!

Sadly not mate, got the link from another referee forum!

Not sure what context you are looking for here.....telling a black person they look 'a bit tanned' is pretty nigh impossible to work into an acceptable context?

It just reminds me of a mate I grew up with who is dark skinned and he noticeably gets darker skinned when spending time in the sun, usually when abroad. He sort of does tan I guess.

Being the Daily Fail, we have to take this with a pinch of salt, but it doesn't look good. Misguided comments at best.

If you google 'david elleray' you'll find that it was in the telegraph, too. Does that pass muster with the doubting thomas's on here. :(

Hold on a minute: no official complaint was made? Then what's the issue?

Ah right, so it's not racist because no 'official' complaint was made?

If only people realised that if they don't complain about it they wouldn't be victims of racism!

That's not what I said. What I'm trying to say is that if the bloke in question was not particularly offended -- that is, offended enough to complain -- why the whole kerfuffle?

Perhaps the other ref had mentioned how pale Elleray looked. Would that be racist?
Oh grow up!

That sort of argument really isn't worth bothering with.

If you can't see what Elleray did was wrong, and racist, then I really don't have the time or patience to explain it to you.

I guess UKIP is alive and well in your neck of the woods!

Ah right, so it's not racist because no 'official' complaint was made?

If only people realised that if they don't complain about it they wouldn't be victims of racism!
The problem is if no official complaint is made then there is no victim, if there is no victim then it isn't racist or breaking any laws. If the "victim" doesn't feel offended no matter how much intent was there by Elleray it isn't racist. There can't be a crime without a victim and so in the eyes of the law or any other governing body, this incident never happened.

To be honest, I think it was just a joke from Mr Elleray, I don't think he would have said it in front of people if it was meant to be an offensive and racist comment, He's not that stupid.

So racism only works one direction.
And yes UKIP is alive and well in this area, not backed by me though.

The problem is if no official complaint is made then there is no victim, if there is no victim then it isn't racist or breaking any laws. If the "victim" doesn't feel offended no matter how much intent was there by Elleray it isn't racist. There can't be a crime without a victim and so in the eyes of the law or any other governing body, this incident never happened.

Ok, let's get a bit topical.....

Are you telling me that people who have been sexually abused, but not reported it, are not victims and no criminal act has been committed? Ok, what's all the fuss about then?

It's truly astonishing that supposedly intelligent people can really believe that the fact someone didn't feel able to report such an incident means that it wasn't racist or that there was no victim.

No wonder society is in the mess that it is with that sort logic!

Ok, let's get a bit topical.....

Are you telling me that people who have been sexually abused, but not reported it, are not victims and no criminal act has been committed? Ok, what's all the fuss about then?

It's truly astonishing that supposedly intelligent people can really believe that the fact someone didn't feel able to report such an incident means that it wasn't racist or that there was no victim.

No wonder society is in the mess that it is with that sort logic!
No what I said was, if there is no victim of a crime, then in the eyes of the law no crime has been comitted. For someone to be sexually abused the prosecutors have to be able to prove that the victim didn't consent to it and so unless the victim comes forward and says that they were assaulted/ they didn't give consent the suspect can't be prosecuted and so this is the same thing with Mr. Elleray.

The level of stupidity on this thread is astounding.......if you wish to kid yourself that Elleray isn't racist because there wasn't an "official" complaint.....carry on.

It was a stupid comment to make, and if Elleray had anything about him he would resign his positions. Clearly as he hasn't done so, he feels that it is perfectly acceptable to talk to people in this manner and the FA/RA are too spineless to do anything about it.

I'm out of this thread now, as clearly people wish to bury their head in the sands and pretend that everything is fine and dandy.......

The level of stupidity on this thread is astounding.......if you wish to kid yourself that Elleray isn't racist because there wasn't an "official" complaint.....carry on.

It was a stupid comment to make, and if Elleray had anything about him he would resign his positions. Clearly as he hasn't done so, he feels that it is perfectly acceptable to talk to people in this manner and the FA/RA are too spineless to do anything about it.

I'm out of this thread now, as clearly people wish to bury their head in the sands and pretend that everything is fine and dandy.......
I have stated the facts and procedures followed by the police and what should be adopted by any other governing body. Whether Elleray is a racist or not is not what I am debating, I am saying that if no complaint is put in then it can't be followed up by an investigation because it isn't an offence and therefore it shouldn't be treated as one by the governing body. My family is very police orientated with my mum and dad serving a total of 50+ years in the force so I know what I'm talking about. Elleray may have said these comments and they may have been made in a malicious way but if they weren't received in that way (and mustn't have been because there was no complaint) then subsequently Elleray can't be charged for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back