A&H

Dangerous Play

Tim Punter

Level 5 referee
Level 5 Referee
First season reffing, and today I gave a penalty for playing in a dangerously manner. Defender had his boot as high as the players face, but the forward just pulled out, but did stop him heading the ball. Should I have awarded an indirect free-kick to the attacking team? Didn’t get anyone moaning though

The Referee Store
Playing in a dangerous manner would be an indirect free kick. Physical contact would be a direct free kick offence, so in this case a penalty
Well done for checking👍

Thanks for your feedback. Sort of decision that reading the laws doesn’t always prepare you for, as I justified it as , ‘anywhere else on the pitch that is a foul argument’ Maybe, there was contact, and I didn’t see it, as the defending team didn’t complain, or they didn’t know the laws!
Next time will be prepared for that, and will only give for definite contact

Thanks for your feedback. Sort of decision that reading the laws doesn’t always prepare you for, as I justified it as , ‘anywhere else on the pitch that is a foul argument’ Maybe, there was contact, and I didn’t see it, as the defending team didn’t complain, or they didn’t know the laws!
The difference is anywhere else on the pitch and nobody realises its an indirect free kick, unless its close to goal in which case likely only the attackers taking and keeper know.

It’s an offence anywhere on the field of play, but PIADM is an indrect free kick wherever it occurs, along with impeding an opponent without contact and a few others.

Back