A&H

Czechia v Türkiye

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Early red card for the Czechs. Commentary is dire from Andros Townsend- “he’s in possession but the on stands on his foot. He can’t be penalised because he’s in possession”

Andros, thanks for everything you did Ina Luton shirt but please stay away from a microphone.

Call it harsh by all means. But don’t make disingenuous comments about freeze framing it looking worse - it was a second caution given in real time.

P.S: I’ve used their respective preferred country names as used at the UN, as I’ll be slaughtered by colleagues if I don’t! They read 😏

A&H International
Snortlaughed at him saying the first caution was harsh. Has a fistful of shirt for a good five seconds.

Incidentally, sent off lad is sat in the dugout.

The second caution certainly can be supported, but is very harsh. I’m not sure that the referee realised it was his second. He showed the yellow put it away as he was walking away from the player and then turned back around and pulled the red out.

This is probably the first game of the tournament that is looking like it could end up out of control. The referee doesn’t seem to have much control or respect from the players of both sides.

The second caution certainly can be supported, but is very harsh. I’m not sure that the referee realised it was his second. He showed the yellow put it away as he was walking away from the player and then turned back around and pulled the red out.

This is probably the first game of the tournament that is looking like it could end up out of control. The referee doesn’t seem to have much control or respect from the players of both sides.
First caution was a bit... odd too. Easy yellow, but looks like he has this matey chat with him, player starts to walk away as if it's a yeah sorry ref, first one, wont do it again, too quick for me ha ha, then ref pulls it out his top pocket.

Snortlaughed at him saying the first caution was harsh. Has a fistful of shirt for a good five seconds.

Much like the Yildiz caution “I don’t know what he’s done wrong there” just as the camera shows studs raked down the inside of the defenders calf.

And he’s still going at half time about the first being harsh, and the second “he got the ball”.

Arguably Barak could’ve gone immediately after his first caution for the slam-throw of the ball after being shown the card.

It was a technically correct UEFA yellow. But Czechia can raise some hell about the ref with his heritage if they want. It was a really poor assignment from UEFA. [Note I'm not questioning his integrity but we all know how the perception can cause issues]

Can't disagree with the sending off, although I do think other referees would have managed the second caution. I think he had people in his ear for both, the first he was just having a chat then pulled the yellow out, absolutely no reason to do that. For the second I don't think he had a scooby that he'd already cautioned him, otherwise why would he turn away after showing the yellow then go back for the red.

I've always thought Istvan Kovacs struggles with control. And his positioning is really poor, every single game he has to take evasive action to avoid getting caught up in play. He seems to just shuffle along rather than making any dynamic movements, and is constantly in areas that players want to play in.

Andros Townsend is an absolute clown. "The first yellow was just cynical", yes Andros, that is why it was a yellow 🤦‍♂️

It was a technically correct UEFA yellow. But Czechia can raise some hell about the ref with his heritage if they want. It was a really poor assignment from UEFA. [Note I'm not questioning his integrity but we all know how the perception can cause issues]
Definitely some avoidable appointments on this last day. In Georgia vs Portugal the ref hasn’t got his usual team because one of the ARs has Portuguese backgrounds. Could have easily swapped the 2 teams!

A long way from the 'battle of nuremburg'...

Not helped by thd two early correct cards leading to a red but I don't think he's had a great game

I go back to my point about him never looking like he has control of games. I honestly think an Orsato, Makkellie, Taylor, etc, manages that game very differently and it doesn't end up anywhere near as fractious.

Back