A&H

Czechia v Türkiye

A&H International
I'm just not seeing the first caution for the Czech #7 as a caution. It's not a promising attack, it's not reckless, it's just a bog standard holding offence.

I don't think anyone should have any arguments about the second caution, although the attempt at playing advantage probably lulled the Czech into a false sense of security!

I'm just not seeing the first caution for the Czech #7 as a caution. It's not a promising attack, it's not reckless, it's just a bog standard holding offence.

I don't think anyone should have any arguments about the second caution, although the attempt at playing advantage probably lulled the Czech into a false sense of security!
I think the Ref went to give him a warning but got a mouthful in return. I think the player showed a lack of respect which pushed the ref into a corner

I think the Ref went to give him a warning but got a mouthful in return. I think the player showed a lack of respect which pushed the ref into a corner
Yeah, looked like this at the time. Think I said it looked more of a quick word, and on replay suggests the player had a final pop...

Reports are that Istvan Kovacs hasn't been retained and has been sent home, which would imply that UEFA weren't happy with his performance.

Reports are that Istvan Kovacs hasn't been retained and has been sent home, which would imply that UEFA weren't happy with his performance.
A high card count gives the impression of a 'loss of control' even though this is not always accurate. I quite like his demeanour FWIW
Sarcastically, I'd say you're on thin ice if Big Potatoes has his shirt pulled and you don't give it

When players decide to be pork chups it's a lose lose situation for the referee. What is our biggest tool to control the temperature of a hot tempered game? Cards. You don't give cards out we say he has lost control because he doesn't use the tools available to him. He gives cards out we say he has lost control because he is giving too many cards out. The latter by the way is an impression/image created by players and imprinted in us referees as well because most of us come from a playing background.

A referee can influence player behaviour and the temperature of a game but he can't control it. Players are not moppets with strings attached.

When players decide to be pork chups it's a lose lose situation for the referee. What is our biggest tool to control the temperature of a hot tempered game? Cards. You don't give cards out we say he has lost control because he doesn't use the tools available to him. He gives cards out we say he has lost control because he is giving too many cards out. The latter by the way is an impression/image created by players and imprinted in us referees as well because most of us come from a playing background.

A referee can influence player behaviour and the temperature of a game but he can't control it. Players are not moppets with strings attached.
Yes, I had a high card count game and the League called the next day. I felt that their tone was one of 'what went wrong'? Inferring, did I lose control? But in truth, whilst I wasn't at fault as such, if I'd have been on my 'A-game', the card count would have been lower
That's the job we do I guess. Can't win unless we're absolutely on it 100% of the time, even that we might not 'win' at the game 'we' play

But in truth, whilst I wasn't at fault as such, if I'd have been on my 'A-game', the card count would have been lower
This statement is what (I think) the problems is (no offence intended). It sounds as though you think it is the referee who has the responsibility to keep the card count down. And you are not alone. Just about all football stakeholders, including referees think the same way and that is where we are going wrong.

The cause of high card count is players and it is their responsibility to keep it down.

As and analogy, if too many people are getting sick, we don't blame the physicians. Physicians can advise people how not to get sick and help with cuer when it happens, but they don't make people get sick.

As and analogy, if too many people are getting sick, we don't blame the physicians. Physicians can advise people how not to get sick and help with cuer when it happens, but they don't make people get sick.
Try telling that to the COVID conspirators.
This statement is what (I think) the problems is (no offence intended). It sounds as though you think it is the referee who has the responsibility to keep the card count down. And you are not alone. Just about all football stakeholders, including referees think the same way and that is where we are going wrong.

The cause of high card count is players and it is their responsibility to keep it down.
Whilst undoubtedly the over riding point here is bang on! There are still games where we do or don't do things that could prevent misconduct. Yes the ultimately responsibility lies with the players and their respective teams but the referee can have an influence, both positive and negative.

An 'A-game' performance from a Referee will almost always keep the card count down. Proactive, preventative sixth sense to stop the buggers from kicking off. But not always, sometimes it all just happens out of nowhere and it's literally impossible to get the lid back on
But the latter is assumed to be an absence of the former... that sometimes reflects unfairly on us

Whilst undoubtedly the over riding point here is bang on! There are still games where we do or don't do things that could prevent misconduct. Yes the ultimately responsibility lies with the players and their respective teams but the referee can have an influence, both positive and negative.
Agree in many ways. I think where I want to be clear is on what negative influence is and what its impact means. For example a reckless revenge tackle after a missed foul does not make the referee responsible for the card. It does means though that the referee is not as good as a referee who would not have missed the first foul. When this happens, just about everyone thinks "that one is on the referee". That to me is totally wrong. It is 100% on the player who commits the revenge tackle.

Back