A&H

Cutting the Grass

A very obvious and exaggerated shake of the head accompanied by a loud "No" is what I'd do (and have done).

ok I put that out there as i also have done it, however, with crowd and players noise, my ' no' sounded to the ref, as ' goal'
he later said only my non moving away from the goal line prevented him signalling goal

so from then, agree shake of head, but, from me, no shout.

bit same as on line, Ar should never shout ' onside' thro comms, its, ' offside' or nothing

disclaimer, other folk in other games may have found other methods beneficial

The Referee Store
"Come on lino - wake up - you weren't even watching there!!" etc. 🙄

You do the robotic thing mate. I'll do what works for me and countless others ... 😉

far from robotic, just stating imo no weird and wonderful hand jives needed,
offside, signal
not offside, dont signal.

i cant see how anything could be less complicated

offside, signal

Ever watched any rugby? Or NFL for that matter? Both sports significantly improved by the introduction of an extensive set of hand signals that allow the referee to clearly communicate decisions non-verbally to everyone in a stadium.

Football is full of these signals as well, as people have clearly listed in this thread. The only problem is that while some are clearly understood, not all of them have been properly codified. Again, another example where football needs to stop thinking it's so special and start learning from what other sports do well.

I don't like the "walking the dog" practice for a different reason. The practice is often done regardless of if there is an appeal or not and this is often not a match control communication but communicating to an in doubt attacking player if he can or can not become active. In effect helping the attacking team.

Now if the defending team is appealing I do shout "no" to respond to their appeal, if this response helps the attacking team, it's on the defending team for appealing not on me. But I never walk the dog, figuratively. In real life though, I love it and go for a walk with him a few times a week 😊

ok I put that out there as i also have done it, however, with crowd and players noise, my ' no' sounded to the ref, as ' goal'
he later said only my non moving away from the goal line prevented him signalling goal

so from then, agree shake of head, but, from me, no shout.

bit same as on line, Ar should never shout ' onside' thro comms, its, ' offside' or nothing

disclaimer, other folk in other games may have found other methods beneficial
Different case though. In comms you say “waiting on...” or “OK”... and you only say “offside” when you raise the flag. This is quite universally trained I believe and avoids any confusion with the referee hearing the wrong thing. This is communication with the referee.

A shake of the head, walking the dog (we are trained to use the spare hand), a rainbow - these are all so an AR can communicate a decision to the whole audience and support the referee’s match control. It is not communication with the referee. She already knows. The important thing here I think, just like talking to benches, is to avoid any contradiction with the referee.

A referee cutting the grass, pointing a line (for offside), or making the ball (as much as I don’t like that), or pointing at a shoulder, or a miming a shove... these are all useful ways to communicate with the wider audience.

As long as you don’t overdo it, over use any, contradict yourself or colleagues, what’s not to love!?!

Reactions: Kes
offside, signal

Horses for courses mate. I always think it's best to show that you're involved, alert, and are assisting the referee.

No offence intended with my use of the word "robotic" by the way. I just couldn't think of another suitable description. Maybe "passive". 😉🙂

Not just a try. It's fact.

Must also add, even though the signal was only added to lotg in 19/20 edition, it was being used by referees from long before that. Who knows. Maybe one day they add cutting the grass signal too ☺️. Though I doubt it as it's a signal for literally nothing.

Ahh, I thought by last year you meant the most recent, and it was in my older one (the 19-20) I looked in. And I sure would have lost a bet about it being in the LOTG before that--it's been "the" signal since at least the 70's when I had my first go-around reffing.

What has the referee seen so that he hasn't awarded a PK in that video? I'd like to think I'd give a PK and yellow card at the least.

I know it isn't the subject of the thread title but I'd love to know if anyone does. Often times we see something that just hasn't happened but here I have seen PK. Thankfully being FA cup this was no doubt serious so the teams were probably well behaved, do that where I ref and you'll need police protection to get out!

I don't do any signal for dismissing penalty calls, where I'm observed they're very strict on inventing stuff or picking stuff off the TV and putting it into your game. No signal, if the calls are very loud then a loud shout of 'PLAY ON' does the trick.

Last edited:
At least on this side of the pond, we are strongly encouraged to not use "play on" for "no foul" and to reserve it for advantage.
Same here.
Play on, loud, for advantage.

Go on, carry on, fine, clean, good tackle, good save, good for me... The rest of the time. I try not to comment every “decision” when the ball is in play. However, I have worked with some very intensely proactive refs and that his given me some feeling for how much to do it. Personally, I think it can really help match control, respect, prevent afters etc.

I’ve realised that getting verbal right at the start of a grassroots game with the first few tussles is also a great way to let players know you are “in the game” - it’s that thing where there’s always someone who fancies getting naughty if they have a passive/inattentive ref.

Last night I was doing a mixed ability grassroots game. Halftime a player collars me: “it’s great how you talk to the players”. At least something is going right;)

Back