A&H

Cup Final Kit

It's not at all strange that they expect officials to wear the county badge when taking charge of county cup games. As far as I'm aware, this is standard for matches in every round, let alone the finals.

With regard to a warm up top, it's not been provided at either of the County Cup finals I've been fortunate enough to be involved in. Which is a shame, I agree, but not something I'm particularly concerned about .. just nice to get the appointments!
Do Herts not still give out County tie to all CFA Final officials? Used to be the only way to get a tie as you couldn't buy them, making them sought-after and a genuine honour to receive!

As others have stated, CFA (and FA Comps) rules are to wear your (parent) CFA badge on all these games, certainly not just for the final!

The Referee Store
Do Herts not still give out County tie to all CFA Final officials? Used to be the only way to get a tie as you couldn't buy them, making them sought-after and a genuine honour to receive!

As others have stated, CFA (and FA Comps) rules are to wear your (parent) CFA badge on all these games, certainly not just for the final!

That's pretty much how it is in West Riding. The 'elusive' tie.

as an aside, i'm doing an U14's final this sunday (not sure whether middle or line yet as the ref sec has told me the level 5 he's appointed for the middle may not want to do it but do the line instead) no fee attached to this fixture but theyve said i will receive 'expenses' but, tbh i'm not fussed about taking them and i'd like to know what the etiqutte is around that please? am i obliged to take them ? and if i do turn them down am i doing other refs a disservice ?

no fee attached to this fixture but theyve said i will receive 'expenses' but, tbh i'm not fussed about taking them and i'd like to know what the etiqutte is around that please? am i obliged to take them ? and if i do turn them down am i doing other refs a disservice ?
Interesting point Richard. I once did an 'expenses only' game involving an 80 mile ride trip. Turned up and the ref said it was the 'done thing' not to take the expenses .. was a little peeved! So, there's no right or wrong but my advice would be to take them and then if you feel guilty give the money to charity or buy your missus something ;).

And @DanCohen17, two Herts county cup finals in three years and no tie :(

see, I'd love to do a cup final ... and I'm not bothered about free clothing etc etc - anything you could is lovely, just being asked to do it is a real honour (and I'm kind of geeky in the whole 'love being in a stadium' thing) so yeah ...

but not being paid expenses? I'm really sorry ... but if you want me to travel, us stated above, 80 miles for a final - the least you're doing is covering my fuel because I can bloody guarantee the county are receiving the clubs funds!

also @Brian Hamilton ... what is this? you literally sound worse than my other halves littl'un ... and she's 4! ... 'I think I might have to drop a line to your RDO to let her know how ungrateful you are to receive this prestigious appointment' ...

I'm sure the reason he has come on here and said what he said because he has probably seen over the last few seasons referees popping up on social media with pictures of their 'freebies' ... comes to his turn and, nothing!

again ... I think a few people need to relax their 'puffed' out chest, and stop measuring dicks ...

rant over.

(p.s. a warning would be preferred over a thread ban? I promise to behave now)

I think I might have to drop a line to your RDO to let her know how ungrateful you are to receive this prestigious appointment.

Brian, who on earth do you think you are? This is a forum where people can share their thoughts on refereeing, it is not up to you to self-police, picking and choosing things that people have said, and then threaten to essentially 'tell on them' when they don't adhere to your personal agenda of what is acceptable and what is not. It's childish, and yet at the same time extremely high and mighty. Not a nice attitude to have in my opinion.

I'm sorry for this because I steer clear of controversy on forums, but it is very disappointing to read something like that.

Brian, who on earth do you think you are? This is a forum where people can share their thoughts on refereeing, it is not up to you to self-police, picking and choosing things that people have said, and then threaten to essentially 'tell on them' when they don't adhere to your personal agenda of what is acceptable and what is not. It's childish, and yet at the same time extremely high and mighty. Not a nice attitude to have in my opinion.

I'm sorry for this because I steer clear of controversy on forums, but it is very disappointing to read something like that.
Put your passive aggressive slippers away forest before you hurt yourself. As for the manner of this forum, just because I disagree with something posted, am I not allowed to post myself? Get over yourself.

If you're a member of the RA, yes I know it's a crusty old fashioned out of touch but desperately trying to change that organisation, you'll know their motto is service before self. It's how I referee, assess and tutor. Yes it's nice to be given shiny things for doing nice stuff but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Before I got my first County Final 2 years ago, I would have crawled over broken glass to get anywhere near a County Cup Final as would many of my colleagues in arms and I'd have paid for the privilege. The OP on the other hand seems to want to have the honour of the County Final and more because others have had it.

As for emailing the RDO, we happen to be friends and I'd only need to drop a line on FB, but then again, maybe word will have already filtered back and the OP may have received a quiet word. Who knows?

see, I'd love to do a cup final ... and I'm not bothered about free clothing etc etc - anything you could is lovely, just being asked to do it is a real honour (and I'm kind of geeky in the whole 'love being in a stadium' thing) so yeah ...

but not being paid expenses? I'm really sorry ... but if you want me to travel, us stated above, 80 miles for a final - the least you're doing is covering my fuel because I can bloody guarantee the county are receiving the clubs funds!

also @Brian Hamilton ... what is this? you literally sound worse than my other halves littl'un ... and she's 4! ... 'I think I might have to drop a line to your RDO to let her know how ungrateful you are to receive this prestigious appointment' ...

I'm sure the reason he has come on here and said what he said because he has probably seen over the last few seasons referees popping up on social media with pictures of their 'freebies' ... comes to his turn and, nothing!

again ... I think a few people need to relax their 'puffed' out chest, and stop measuring dicks ...

rant over.

(p.s. a warning would be preferred over a thread ban? I promise to behave now)
Glad to see you get the honour thing. Sorry you won't put yourself out to receive that honour. Why come on here and whinge? Why doesn't he make a polite enquiry regarding the change of policy and when told, accept it?

His massive sense of entitlement and misplaced feeling being disenfranchised does him no favours in anyone's eyes.

It's always been my understanding that being selected to officiate in any Cup Final (be it league, County or otherwise) is an "honour" and that the match fee doesn't normally get paid, instead a trophy (which also costs money) is given to the match officials. I've always accepted this as the norm and been happy to. :)

As for emailing the RDO, we happen to be friends and I'd only need to drop a line on FB
It's not your place to do that, that's my only point. The OPs refereeing career, appointments, and his subsequent attitude towards said appointments, has absolutely nothing to do with you. By all means criticise his attitude through the forum (I'm not overly enamored with the 'in it for the Nike gear' attitude myself), but taking it outside the forum is not your responsibility. If he'd posted a thread saying he'd seen someone punch someone on the FoP and issued him yellow, that might be something to take further. His desire for some branded gear is not.

I'm not suggesting you don't post, it appears you offer some useful advice, but it's the "I might just tell on you" thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable.

For me it's an acknowledgement that you've done well throughout the season. You're a selected few which makes it an honour. You then have the opportunity to showcase your skills in front of your CFA. People in key positions will be watching such as your RDO. Of course, if you mess up then you'll wish they weren't haha.

I do enough games a season to make a fair bit of cash, and I don't do every Saturday. I think ONE game a season for free really isn't going to matter. I actually know exactly how much money I've made from refereeing each season out of curiosity and, considering anyone that referees both Sats and Sunday's will do more games than me, I can guarantee the no county cup fee really is negligible.

Glad to see you get the honour thing. Sorry you won't put yourself out to receive that honour. Why come on here and whinge? Why doesn't he make a polite enquiry regarding the change of policy and when told, accept it?

His massive sense of entitlement and misplaced feeling being disenfranchised does him no favours in anyone's eyes.

seems my post was a little mistaken @Brian Hamilton, to confirm - I would happily travel and do a county cup final FOC ... I was referring to the 'offered expenses but don't take it' comments made by @richard ramjane and @Russell Jones ... I would take it, why offer something you don't want someone to take? and plus id feel rude not accepting, the same way I feel rude not popping 'upstairs' after a game to eat a few crap sandwiches and stale pork pies after a game.

I too agree with everything you say and I cant stand the 'freebie' attitude (although Essex are handing out Nike training jackets, come on ... don't tell me you wouldn't want 1!!) - anything above getting the honourable appointment is just extra icing on an already well iced cake don't you agree?

just cut the 'snitching' comments - my mate is a Sargent in the police force ... do I go around threatening all of my mates that smoke drugs etc. 'ooo I'm telling my policeman friend on you' ... no, I don't give them a warning!!!! ha-ha jokes ... I don't because it doesn't affect you in any way shape or form ...

by all means though, have a dig for the comments!!

Any cup final appointment should be an honour, free stuff or a fee are not relevant. You will undoubtedly get a medal or trophy and that is something that you can be proud of. You cant look back in 15 years time at a £20 note and say ah yes that was from my Cup final.

To everyone with a cup final whether it be County, District or League then be proud and enjoy the day!!

Any cup final appointment should be an honour, free stuff or a fee are not relevant. You will undoubtedly get a medal or trophy and that is something that you can be proud of. You cant look back in 15 years time at a £20 note and say ah yes that was from my Cup final.

To everyone with a cup final whether it be County, District or League then be proud and enjoy the day!!
I always think you put up with some **** during the season and it all becomes worth it when you get your finals, even if it's league, district or county.

seems my post was a little mistaken @Brian Hamilton, to confirm - I would happily travel and do a county cup final FOC ... I was referring to the 'offered expenses but don't take it' comments made by @richard ramjane and @Russell Jones ... I would take it, why offer something you don't want someone to take? and plus id feel rude not accepting, the same way I feel rude not popping 'upstairs' after a game to eat a few crap sandwiches and stale pork pies after a game.

I too agree with everything you say and I cant stand the 'freebie' attitude (although Essex are handing out Nike training jackets, come on ... don't tell me you wouldn't want 1!!) - anything above getting the honourable appointment is just extra icing on an already well iced cake don't you agree?

just cut the 'snitching' comments - my mate is a Sargent in the police force ... do I go around threatening all of my mates that smoke drugs etc. 'ooo I'm telling my policeman friend on you' ... no, I don't give them a warning!!!! ha-ha jokes ... I don't because it doesn't affect you in any way shape or form ...

by all means though, have a dig for the comments!!
Charlie I hope someone gives you a final soon before you go back to playing. Good attitude to have

Holy testicle Tuesday!

I think a few of you need to chill out a bit!

May I suggest toning things down a bit or we can put a fork in this one

Back