The Ref Stop

Crystal Palace Vs Manchester United

View attachment 7587I instantly thought red.
Then I was trying to justify a caution as he doesn't get the player. But it is just sheer luck.
It just had to be a red card.
It wasn’t sheer luck he didn’t get the player. If it had to be a red card it would have been. And showing just a picture is only half the story, though we do have the full clip at the start of these threads whereby you are entitled to still hold the view you do.

The Ref Stop
There's obviously a difference if contact is actually made. DFK if it is made, IDFK if it isn't.
there is absolutely no requirement for contact to be made to have a DFK foul. You can pick your DFK bucket—I’d put it in reckless (or excessive force) challenge. But this is definitely a DFK not an IFK.

It wasn’t sheer luck he didn’t get the player. If it had to be a red card it would have been. And showing just a picture is only half the story, though we do have the full clip at the start of these threads whereby you are entitled to still hold the view you do.
I think in this case the picture is more then enough. You don't jump into a challenge like that unless your intention is to injure a player or you have slipped. This is clearly not a case of the player slipping.

He has 2 feet off the floor, jumped into the challenge. That has to be a textbook red card IMHO.

So because the Palace player is lucky enough to move his ankle out of the way from being snapped, the LotG are null and void?

Back to my consistency point. The ref on VAR had 'no choice' to follow the rules of the game to a point one week as a ref, but on VAR he didn't the next week...

So because the Palace player is lucky enough to move his ankle out of the way from being snapped, the LotG are null and void?

Back to my consistency point. The ref on VAR had 'no choice' to follow the rules of the game to a point one week as a ref, but on VAR he didn't the next week...
One was mandatory (to a certain extent) and one was subjective.

One was mandatory (to a certain extent) and one was subjective.
It is SFP. It is a disgraceful challenge and obviously dangerous
Your support of reckless is very concerning. Don't defend the indefensible just to unconditionally support you PGMOL colleagues. I won't discuss this incident any further as it doesn't merit energy or debate

The player 2 footed the ball not the player. Not only not a broken leg, but didn’t make contact with the player and no treatment required.
We judge actions, not consequences. Challenging for the ball in this manner is very clearly endangering the safety of the opponent - running in, jumps in two footed and out of control, and comes down with his entire body weight.

It is SFP. It is a disgraceful challenge and obviously dangerous
Your support of reckless is very concerning. Don't defend the indefensible just to unconditionally support you PGMOL colleagues. I won't discuss this incident any further as it doesn't merit energy or debate
I don’t know what you mean with regards to my PGMOL colleagues. I don’t have any PGMOL colleagues because I’m not with the PGMOL. In any event, let’s see what happens with the Independent MCS Panel.

Bordering on fan nonsense here. The two situations are not even remotely close nevermind the same and so the consistency card is not in play. Let's discuss the challenge in the OP please and not link it dubiously back to a totally different situation.

For me the action is a red card. I can see the "he didn't make contact" mitigation argument but I don't think we can apply that here and then say the action was reckless. The player uses excessive force in my view. If you were to describe what a red card challenge looks like I reckon you'd not arrive far away from this. That is just my opinion.

Bordering on fan nonsense here. The two situations are not even remotely close nevermind the same and so the consistency card is not in play. Let's discuss the challenge in the OP please and not link it dubiously back to a totally different situation.

For me the action is a red card. I can see the "he didn't make contact" mitigation argument but I don't think we can apply that here and then say the action was reckless. The player uses excessive force in my view. If you were to describe what a red card challenge looks like I reckon you'd not arrive far away from this. That is just my opinion.
And a constructive opinion to boot without using words like disgraceful and clearly. I have no problem with your opinion James and perhaps many PL Referees would feel the same if faced with the same situation.

I don’t know what you mean with regards to my PGMOL colleagues. I don’t have any PGMOL colleagues because I’m not with the PGMOL. In any event, let’s see what happens with the Independent MCS Panel.
I wasn't surmising that you're sg1 sg2 etc...
Anyway opinions have been laid bare! We move on

If it was a Sunday morning with the dog and duck then perhaps different especially with Match Control and not having the luxury of 30 tv cameras and VAR.
This isn't and shouldn't be used as a mitigation.

SFP is the same in the Premier League as it is on the Hackney Marshes.

Contact isn't required for it to be SFP

If that's not given on Hackney Marshes, all hell would break loose.
And that’s the point I have been attempting to make. The Laws of the Game is the same for any open age game in the world, but not interpreted the same wherever anyone is in the world or whatever level of football playing at. If the same challenge was made at Hackney Marshes it has to be a red. But in a PL game with VAR etc etc etc etc, then I can see why it was something different.

I can’t agree with a red card here, at any level. I’m not sending someone off for a challenge that doesn’t make contact/makes very neglible contact with an opponent unless there are some very extenuating circumstances (i.e attempts to strike).

If that's not given on Hackney Marshes, all hell would break
I can’t agree with a red card here, at any level. I’m not sending someone off for a challenge that doesn’t make contact/makes very neglible contact with an opponent unless there are some very extenuating circumstances (i.e attempts to strike).
I’ve already said enough about my thoughts on the incident, but one thing that I can say that I haven’t touched upon is that there was an incident last season involving a player from Everton and the Referee sent him off for SFP for a serious looking tackle, though despite VAR I think confirming the decision, it was rescinded on appeal. This won’t go to an appeal because of being a yellow, but if he was sent off I think it would also have been won on any appeal. Having said that, any Referee should do what he/she thinks is right at the time and not worry about any appeal (unless he/she is aware beforehand that there is precedent at the leagues they operate on).

Agree that this should be a red card for me, however I think the lack of contact makes it difficult for VAR to get involved. Especially if the referee on comms said he decided yellow and listed lack of contact as mitigation.
Whether you think that's right or not is up for debate, but that's my opinion of why he wasn't dismissed.

Back