A&H

Crystal Palace vs Manchester United

Joshref

Another Manchester United thread.

Should United have had a penalty? Should Casemiro be off? The fun doesn’t stop

The Referee Store
Another Manchester United thread.

Should United have had a penalty? Should Casemiro be off? The fun doesn’t stop
Looked a pen to me, not sure how Jones wasn’t sent to the screen there. Though it might be my United supporting bias showing

I thought it wasn't a penalty a pen in real time.
Then looks pretty stone wall on replay.
VAR lottery strike again I guess. Hard to feel too hard done by with that awful 2nd half performance.

A bigger gripe is the winning free kick being 5 yards closer the the goal than the foul.
Not like there is a ref with video to check this 😐

How Fernandes stayed on the pitch was the biggest mystery imo. A frustrated tackle where he raked the guys leg high up the leg was nothing short of disgraceful. That was malicious. No attempt to play the ball and most certainly endangered his opponent.

I thought it wasn't a penalty a pen in real time.
Then looks pretty stone wall on replay.
VAR lottery strike again I guess. Hard to feel too hard done by with that awful 2nd half performance.

Hence why it isn't reviewed, doesn't even come close to the clear and obvious error bar that should be needed now (and should always have been needed but Mike Riley's regime made a total mess of it).

it has to scream out to everyone immediately that an error has been made.

Hence why it isn't reviewed, doesn't even come close to the clear and obvious error bar that should be needed now (and should always have been needed but Mike Riley's regime made a total mess of it).

I'm pretty lenient on that standard in most cases, but this immediately screamed C&O to me. It's one of the easiest types of fouls you give nearly 100% of the time in midfield (if I remember correctly, Arsenal had a goal chalked off against Man U for a similar foul by Odegaard).

Last edited:
I felt no penalty. Certainly not clear and obvious. For me we are closer to simulation. Mctominay was going over before any of the contact. Looking to buy the contact. It came, but too late.
I'd support the penalty if given but also can see why not given and definitely doesn't sit anywhere close to the glaring obvious errors that Howatd wants VAR to get involved with.

Also noted Neil Swarbrick was VAR yesterday. I knew he was involved from a management POV but first time I am aware (confess I rarely check who is) he has been the VAR.

Much prefer that way of doing things, IF we have to have VAR. Obviously the key test for HW will be to get all referees to consistently apply the same level 'bar' when acting as VAR.

I mean - you've picked a picture that makes it look like McTominay has kicked the back of the defenders leg!

My instinct watching live was also no penalty. It looks a bit more like a foul on review, but I think when you see the VAR footage, it's hard to be 100% sure he never gets the ball so I certainly support VAR deciding they didn't have the confidence to get involved.

Not massively convinced theres alot of contact for a penalty. Definitely not enough for VAR to get involved

Not massively convinced theres alot of contact for a penalty. Definitely not enough for VAR to get involved

Have you seen it from the sideways angle? You could argue (harshly IMO) that McTominay has put his left leg out a bit for the Pires dive but the contact is there and quite heavy.

Have you seen it from the sideways angle? You could argue (harshly IMO) that McTominay has put his left leg out a bit for the Pires dive but the contact is there and quite heavy.
The angles just from the highlights. I can’t see that contact that you are referring to.

That didn't stop VAR last week with Trippier giving away a pen by being stamped on.
Yes, I think Mike Dean didn't read the memo with that one. But generally since the World Cup VAR involvement for fouls has been massively reduced.

Very fair point. For VAR to be getting involved every referee on here should have immediately said that it was a clear and obvious error. If a bunch of referees can't agree it can't have been a C&O error.
That's exactly what I meant.

Like most TV pundits and fans, some on here, think just because they don't agree with the original decision, it MUST be wrong, so therefore, VAR should get involved. You can see the players think that, they see VAR as a chance to overturn original decision.

As referees we should be looking at it more objectively - always difficult if its 'your' team, but you seriously have to think, if a few experienced referees on here, with no fan bias, think differently, then even if you remain convinced you're right and they are wrong, you should accept that it isn't a clear and obvious error.

IF we have to use VAR for penalty calls then I would much rather much less VAR involvement.

Back