A&H

Crystal Palace vs Manchester United

That didn't stop VAR last week with Trippier giving away a pen by being stamped on.
Now we're back to the flawed blue sky thinking regarding VAR.

As we know, it is not some mythical all seeing, always correct being - its a real life referee - and as we all realise as one of those ourselves, we DO make mistakes!

The Referee Store
Now we're back to the flawed blue sky thinking regarding VAR.

As we know, it is not some mythical all seeing, always correct being - its a real life referee - and as we all realise as one of those ourselves, we DO make mistakes!
Good grief, I can't comment on Newcastle v Fulham without being accused of City bias.

And there isn't a thread about last night's VAR. I'm not starting it, but if real life referees can't see SFP or handball, and VAR doesn't, that's just making the same mistake twice.

Last edited:
Good grief, I can't comment on Newcastle v Fulham without being accused of City bias.

And there isn't a thread about last night's VAR. I'm not starting it, but if real life referees can't see SFP or handball, and VAR doesn't, that's just making the same mistake twice.
Think you're getting a persecution complex now. As you say the thread is entitled Crystal Place v Man Utd and if you read my post I don't think you'll find the words "Man", "City" or " bias" anywhere - what an odd thing to accuse me of?

Your last paragraph totally ignores what me (and Rusty) are saying. VAR isn't there just to offer an alternative opinion, he (or she) is there to point out what they consider to be a clear and obvious error" and THEN give the referee a 2nd look.

Just because you, me or anyone else on here disagree with something, doesn't automatically make it a "clear and obvious error"

Oh and as for Newcastle v Fulham, I personally thought that the Dan Burn foul was a pen and a red card. Others on here thought the forward went down easily or didn't mention it. Now if I'm refereeing and see that, its a foul and red card - all that doesn't make it a clear and obvious error.

Think you're getting a persecution complex now. As you say the thread is entitled Crystal Place v Man Utd and if you read my post I don't think you'll find the words "Man", "City" or " bias" anywhere - what an odd thing to accuse me of?

Your last paragraph totally ignores what me (and Rusty) are saying. VAR isn't there just to offer an alternative opinion, he (or she) is there to point out what they consider to be a clear and obvious error" and THEN give the referee a 2nd look.

Just because you, me or anyone else on here disagree with something, doesn't automatically make it a "clear and obvious error"

Oh and as for Newcastle v Fulham, I personally thought that the Dan Burn foul was a pen and a red card. Others on here thought the forward went down easily or didn't mention it. Now if I'm refereeing and see that, its a foul and red card - all that doesn't make it a clear and obvious error.
This is all your fault - you mentioned "blue sky thinking" and someone added 2 + 2 and got 5😉😁

Oh I see now!:):rolleyes:

How about "We're back to an idealistic, unrealistic and misguided view of VAR"

Its like being back in English lessons!:p

That's exactly what I meant.

Like most TV pundits and fans, some on here, think just because they don't agree with the original decision, it MUST be wrong, so therefore, VAR should get involved. You can see the players think that, they see VAR as a chance to overturn original decision.

As referees we should be looking at it more objectively - always difficult if its 'your' team, but you seriously have to think, if a few experienced referees on here, with no fan bias, think differently, then even if you remain convinced you're right and they are wrong, you should accept that it isn't a clear and obvious error.

IF we have to use VAR for penalty calls then I would much rather much less VAR involvement.
Yes, agree with that. The problem leads back to how VAR was implemented in England. First of all we ignored the protocol and had decisions reversed without the referees checking screens. Between then and last December the intervention level has been all over the place, with blatant fouls being ignored and the most debatable of fouls being referred, with the "bar" often changing week by week. Perhaps if Mr Riley and his team had implemented VAR properly from day 1 the players and pundits wouldn't see VAR as a way to get a decision overturned.

I'm very confident that with Howard Webb in charge VAR will be vastly better going forward. In footballing terms it is like Eric Ten Haag taking over from Ralph Rangnick at Man Utd, the only possible way is up 😂

Back