Croatia vs Belgium
Thursday, 1st December 2022
18:00 Local Time (15:00 GMT)
Al-Rayann

Referee: Anthony Taylor (ENG)

Assistant Referee 1: Gary Beswick (ENG)
Assistant Referee 2: Adam Nunn (ENG)
Fourth Official: Istvan Kovacs (ROU)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Mihai Artene (ROU)
Video Assistant Referee: Marco Fritz (GER)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Rafael Foltyn (GER)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Benoit Millot (FRA)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Jan Seidel (GER)

The Referee Store
I think this appointment validates what I said about our referees (at least AT) being saved for the big ones.
He performs well in this I don't think we'll see him again until QFs and then, providing England dont make it, and he performs well in that he has a Very big shout for the show piece.

I think this appointment validates what I said about our referees (at least AT) being saved for the big ones.
He performs well in this I don't think we'll see him again until QFs and then, providing England dont make it, and he performs well in that he has a Very big shout for the show piece.
think there's a few good options from UEFA, Makkelie would be my pick if dutch don't go far...but the list is very strong.

think there's a few good options from UEFA, Makkelie would be my pick if dutch don't go far...but the list is very strong.
For me, there's actually a really good list of UEFA referees that I'd have no issue with on a US match, even if they were playing a UEFA team. This is my list, likely in order.
  1. Turpin
  2. Oliver
  3. Lahoz
  4. Taylor (but he's awfully close to the top three)
  5. Marciniak
  6. Makkelie
I was thrilled when Lahoz was on the US-Iran match, and he didn't disappoint. I've already said on a different forum I'd love for Turpin or Marciniak to be on the US-Netherlands match on Saturday. My guess it will be one of the Argentines or Brazilians depending on rest.

For me, there's actually a really good list of UEFA referees that I'd have no issue with on a US match, even if they were playing a UEFA team. This is my list, likely in order.
  1. Turpin
  2. Oliver
  3. Lahoz
  4. Taylor (but he's awfully close to the top three)
  5. Marciniak
  6. Makkelie
I was thrilled when Lahoz was on the US-Iran match, and he didn't disappoint. I've already said on a different forum I'd love for Turpin or Marciniak to be on the US-Netherlands match on Saturday. My guess it will be one of the Argentines or Brazilians depending on rest.

a whole new topic this...but a good one!

i really like kovacs as well, not mad keen on lahoz but there's definitely some resentment in there from some city games he's reffed (some justifiably)!

turpin is superb but don't see him getting anywhere near a major final thanks to his nationality unfortunately

At least this offside makes sense to me compared to the France one. Taylor well in control so far. Although that's reaaaaallly close on the 3rd-replay

Another Var mess. Where was the AI system or why didn’t VaR just tell him it was offside.
Im not convinced it was a penalty in the first place.

Another Var mess. Where was the AI system or why didn’t VaR just tell him it was offside.
Im not convinced it was a penalty in the first place.

vjsJn1m.png

Because he didn't touch the ball. The ref needs to confirm that it was interfering with an opponent which is a subjective decision.,

vjsJn1m.png

Because he didn't touch the ball. The ref needs to confirm that it was interfering with an opponent which is a subjective decision.,
Where in that photo is the player off side.. they look perfectly level.
I don’t think we need a ref to go to a screen to decide that, VaR are refs and they should just tell him straight away in his ear. Just another waste of time.

It's funny once we have a computer generated image, no one argues about the validity of the factual offside position. Something that everyone debated when we had the camera image and the lines. I suspected this would be the case when the semi auto mated system was announced.

In reality I very much doubt the system is this accurate. He could have been onside by a small margin or off by a bigger margin.

It's funny once we have a computer generated image, no one argues about the validity of the factual offside position. Something that everyone debated when we had the camera image and the lines. I suspected this would be the case when the semi auto mated system was announced.

In reality I very much doubt the system is this accurate. He could have been onside by a small margin or off by a bigger margin.

For a start, it’s limited by the frame rate of the camera - at 60 frames a second the ball could have been played anytime in that 1/60 of a second gap. If a fast player is moving at top speed (say 10m/s), then that’s a 17cm margin of error - even if jogging at 2m/s, you still have a 3cm margin of error.

For a start, it’s limited by the frame rate of the camera - at 60 frames a second the ball could have been played anytime in that 1/60 of a second gap. If a fast player is moving at top speed (say 10m/s), then that’s a 17cm margin of error - even if jogging at 2m/s, you still have a 3cm margin of error.
The ball is measured 500 times a second. Not measured on frame rate.

The ball is measured 500 times a second. Not measured on frame rate.

But the camera system is still only 50 fps.

"This information is transmitted via antennas inside the stadium to the video operations room. In order that the system can detect precisely the offside position, the optical tracking system is collecting 29 data points, and this will happen 50 times per second.

The 500 hz ball sensor just helps identify which frame to use.

When we are talking two arms and the "bottom of the armpit," I think a bigger issue on precision is how where on the arm the "bottom of the armpit" is determined. And this is the relatively rare case where that is the criteria for both players.

Back