A&H

Covid

If you contract Covid will you be refereeing

• Yes

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 88.0%
  • Ask teams/ other officials if they are comfortable with you refereeing with Covid

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely cannot imagine knowing you have Covid and choosing to just go about your normal life. I'm fully aware that the people in charge have bowed to the pressure of idiots and changed the rules too early again, but no - if I test positive and confirm it with a PCR, I won't be leaving the house for 10 days unless 100% necessary.

Earlier in the season I was refereeing and about 40 minutes in had to pause because a player had gone down complaining of chest pains. Fortunately, despite the low level of the game we did actually have a qualified physio on the side, and she was able to control the situation and get him away for assessment without it turning into anything serious. 2 minutes before that you wouldn't have known this player was any more vulnerable than any of the other 21 players on the pitch.

The idea that I would choose to interact with people for the sake of £40 while knowing I'm carrying a disease that could be deadly if any one of them has underlying issues like this is just so far outside what I consider morally acceptable, I can't even get close to understanding why people think it's OK.
I am 100% with you on this.
However, (free) testing is going to be withdrawn so when the LFTs are gone how will we be able to confirm its covid?

The Referee Store
I am 100% with you on this.
However, (free) testing is going to be withdrawn so when the LFTs are gone how will we be able to confirm its covid?
I appreciate everyone is in different circumstances, but I'm confident at least that if we had an outbreak at work, my company would buy LFT's for anyone who has had contact. Similarly, if you have symptoms and will be charging a £40 match fee, I don't think it's unreasonable to put aside £2-£5 of that fee for a test. I'm not saying test routinely ahead of every match, but if you have symptoms and choose not to test in favour of saving a tiny fraction of the fee, that doesn't seem right.

It's so backwards that they're suddenly introducing a cost for what is still a vital public health measure, but unfortunately that puts the pressure on individuals to recognise and then do the right thing.

After feeling very rough since Saturday night, I tested positive this morning (first time for me). Theres 4 people in the office where I base myself (I have an office but spend more time in the field). All 4 of us and the cleaner tested positive this morning so it's probably safe to assume we caught it off each other late last week.

So I will not be on the line this Saturday, i won't put myself in a position where I'm knowingly infecting others. I have another line in 9 days time. If I test negative 2 days in a row prior to that day then its outside of the 10 days since symptoms showed (I had a headache on Friday night and on Saturday but tested negative. No other symptoms so assumed it wasn't covid). Therefore I may well do that game as id have tested negative twice and be 12 days outside of showing the first symptoms.

Other thing which is important to do is speak to the teams you've reffed if you find you're subsequently positive following the game so they can all test themselves should they want to

As long as I feel fine yes - I've followed government rules all the way through & now there is none I'm happy to follow that.

As long as I feel fine yes - I've followed government rules all the way through & now there is none I'm happy to follow that.

so if you have covid, but you feel ok, you are happy to risk everybodys else health

if you feel fine. Sums it up.

nevermind anyone else you pass it onto, their families etc, If you feel ok thats that.

you have a responsibility ( or should have) for other peoples well being. Lets hope if you have it, and infect someone else, that they, or whoever they pass it onto ( thanks to you), do not suffer too much.

There is a reason this vote is 34/4. Basic decency.

Last edited:
There is a different way to look at this question. As a player who has not had COVID and don't know how your body would react to it, are you ok with someone with COVID joining in a game with you?

My wife caught COVID from someone at her work. She was sick really bad just short of going to hospital. I was close contact with her and stayed with her at home but never caught it or got sick. Nonetheless I isolated for a week. I was lucky I could work from home.

This is a difficult one to be fair. As I said, I've always been an advocate of it you aren't feeling well with something that might be contagious stay at home if you can, and that was way before Covid raised its ugly head.

Equally though, Covid won't be going anywhere for at least 10 years, if ever. The English government have reclassified it as an endemic and say that we need to live with it, so the very message that sends out is get on with your life. And the removal of testing takes away that ability to at least check if you think you might have Covid as opposed to a cold.

so if you have covid, but you feel ok, you are happy to risk everybodys else health

if you feel fine. Sums it up.

nevermind anyone else you pass it onto, their families etc, If you feel ok thats that.

you have a responsibility ( or should have) for other peoples well being. Lets hope if you have it, and infect someone else, that they, or whoever they pass it onto ( thanks to you), do not suffer too much.

There is a reason this vote is 34/4. Basic decency.
i think this is a really really poor reply actually, i hope before Covid every time you got a little sniffle you stayed at home and self-isolated for 5 days, don't want to kill somebody with your illness.

all i'm doing is following the government rules, like i & many others have done for the last 2 years, struggle to see a problem with NOT isolating myself away if i feel fine from a disease that has over 85% of the population triple-jabbed and that isn't as deadly (especially omicron!) --as other respiratory viruses

think it's time for a few people to grow up a bit tbh

i think this is a really really poor reply actually, i hope before Covid every time you got a little sniffle you stayed at home and self-isolated for 5 days, don't want to kill somebody with your illness.

all i'm doing is following the government rules, like i & many others have done for the last 2 years, struggle to see a problem with NOT isolating myself away if i feel fine from a disease that has over 85% of the population triple-jabbed and that isn't as deadly (especially omicron!) --as other respiratory viruses

All due respect this is also a poor reply.

"All I am doing is following the rules". The rules that had to be introduced because much of the population would have happily wandered around spreading a disease that was and still is killing people. The way in which some folks totted around with little regard for said rules at times was frightening. Not for me, I fancied my chances being (reasonably young) etc.

If the government said jump off of a bridge, would you do it?

The government may very well be doing away with the "rules" but they are still saying you should follow the basics, remain 2 metres apart, wash hands and wear masks in confined areas and isolate if you have symptoms. Why? Because covid can and still will kill people. The only difference is its not legislated anymore.

Yes, we need to learn to live alongside/with covid and unfortunately that means folks taking a small amount of personal responsibility for other people's health, and that includes stopping at home when poorly.

Maybe run your positive covid status past the teams you are about to referee and let them give you a better response

oh hi, am your referee today, just to let you know am infected with covid, hope everybody is ok with that, if not, grow up

pre covid I would not officiate with the flu, a bad cold, or say, glandular fever
To do so puts others at risk.
Covid can now be added to that list.

you certainly would be sent home if you were my lino tomorrow and reported to the fa, and you can answer to them

All due respect this is also a poor reply.

"All I am doing is following the rules". The rules that had to be introduced because much of the population would have happily wandered around spreading a disease that was and still is killing people. The way in which some folks totted around with little regard for said rules at times was frightening. Not for me, I fancied my chances being (reasonably young) etc.

If the government said jump off of a bridge, would you do it?

The government may very well be doing away with the "rules" but they are still saying you should follow the basics, remain 2 metres apart, wash hands and wear masks in confined areas and isolate if you have symptoms. Why? Because covid can and still will kill people. The only difference is its not legislated anymore.

Yes, we need to learn to live alongside/with covid and unfortunately that means folks taking a small amount of personal responsibility for other people's health, and that includes stopping at home when poorly.
the government is not saying you should remain 2 meters apart no idea where you've gotten that from, of course while the virus continues to be circulation good hygiene never goes amiss so I think good habits such as washing hands are sensible precautions, self-isolation is not.

there has never been any evidence that outdoor transmission of Covid exists, that's why I found it mad seeing some American referees and players wearing masks on a football pitch.

Maybe run your positive covid status past the teams you are about to referee and let them give you a better response

oh hi, am your referee today, just to let you know am infected with covid, hope everybody is ok with that, if not, grow up

pre covid I would not officiate with the flu, a bad cold, or say, glandular fever
To do so puts others at risk.
Covid can now be added to that list.

you certainly would be sent home if you were my lino tomorrow and reported to the fa, and you can answer to them
considering the bulk of refereeing is outside, and there's no evidence of transmission outside, I think it's seriously seriously low-risk.

are you honestly, hand on heart telling me you stayed at home for the whole time you have ever had any symptoms of any virus/disease??

the government is not saying you should remain 2 meters apart no idea where you've gotten that from, of course while the virus continues to be circulation good hygiene never goes amiss so I think good habits such as washing hands are sensible precautions, self-isolation is not.

there has never been any evidence that outdoor transmission of Covid exists, that's why I found it mad seeing some American referees and players wearing masks on a football pitch.
OK but they are still saying all the rest. And importantly, with respect to the OP and the overall discussion here, still staying stay home if feeling unwell.

A lot of changing rooms are very close and confined and not easily ventilated. I do not want to share with someone who has covid, triple Jabbed or not.

Not really refereeing related, but I feel that covid and self-isolation are being used as a political weapon by both sides

considering the bulk of refereeing is outside, and there's no evidence of transmission outside, I think it's seriously seriously low-risk.

are you honestly, hand on heart telling me you stayed at home for the whole time you have ever had any symptoms of any virus/disease??

Symptoms, or, confirmed case of covid, are polar opposites

Check the results of the straw poll, granted its not legally binding but its, 34-4? for a reason,
The vast majority of adults ( thankfully) are not ignoramus's

refereeing with covid and lying about having covid are two very different things

point being, cant referee ( those games which need a declaration) with covid.

if you tick the, yes i have it / been in contact with etc... thats you, not welcome.

Question based on the above.

If a player told you they had covid would you allow them to play?

I don't think I would. Would I be able to justify it as player safety and well-being (that being of myself, the infected player and the non infected ones).

Question based on the above.

If a player told you they had covid would you allow them to play?

I don't think I would. Would I be able to justify it as player safety and well-being (that being of myself, the infected player and the non infected ones).

We have no authority to stop someone playing with covid. If you turn up to a game and you are made aware that a player has covid and you feel uncomfortable refereeing that game due to your own circumstances (such as worrying about your health or who you could pass it on to) then you are fully in your rights to say you're not refereeing that game. What isn't reasonable is saying that the infected player cannot play. That's well outside your authority. There's no law to stop them playing.

This may well prompt the manager to remove the infected player from team sheet, and if that happens then crack on. But again you cant insist on that. Its now about personal choice, and your choice is as important as anyone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back