A&H

county cups - distance

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
If you're appointed to a county cup game that is 75 minutes travel each way (no petrol allowance) is that a reasonable request?

A&H International
Think that needs a discussion with whoever appointed you, and also the distance as well as the travel time. Where I live I could be in Northampton in 75 minutes which is 65 miles, equally I could be in Dulwich which is 13 miles.

This is obviously the disadvantage of a lot of competitions choosing to go down the route of all-in fees. Sometimes you need to remind yourself that you'll get close appointments where the all-in fee is more that you'd have got had it been fee + mileage, and it'll probably even itself out over time. If that wasn't the case and I was getting lots of appointments where the 'mileage' was cutting into my actual 'fee' then I'd be having a word.

County pay the same as our local league. Has down for 3 or 4 years now. No extra money there.

My referee friend is not happy but if he refuses he does not ref at all that day.

He's asked the question and was told lack of referees available in that area that day.

County pay the same as our local league. Has down for 3 or 4 years now. No extra money there.

My referee friend is not happy but if he refuses he does not ref at all that day.

He's asked the question and was told lack of referees available in that area that day.
It was fair & reasonable for the Referee in question to ask the County FA about the distance & a reasonable response from the FA. What happens next is where different Referees will do different things. Many will say ok fair enough - not ideal and a long way but I can still get there & since I am available & been appointed that’s where I will go. Others, especially these days if the maths don’t add up will perhaps say I’m not going & some may have transportation issues so may not be able to get there in what would be deemed an appropriate time. I will always go where I am appointed to.

It was fair & reasonable for the Referee in question to ask the County FA about the distance & a reasonable response from the FA. What happens next is where different Referees will do different things. Many will say ok fair enough - not ideal and a long way but I can still get there & since I am available & been appointed that’s where I will go. Others, especially these days if the maths don’t add up will perhaps say I’m not going & some may have transportation issues so may not be able to get there in what would be deemed an appropriate time. I will always go where I am appointed to.
He's e-mailed and told them it's too far and he's not reffing that day.

I think it's not reasonable and in the same situation i would refuse too.

Spent 2½ hours on buses getting TO my County Cup match on Tuesday after the fixture was reversed a day or two beforehand.

(Car having MOT, needs work - original fixture 20mins on train and a short walk)

Thankfully a lift (most of the way) home. One of them things.

Get to pull on the County badge, keep A/S happy, and stay in the hat for plum fixtures.

Spent 2½ hours on buses getting TO my County Cup match on Tuesday after the fixture was reversed a day or two beforehand.

(Car having MOT, needs work - original fixture 20mins on train and a short walk)

Thankfully a lift (most of the way) home. One of them things.

Get to pull on the County badge, keep A/S happy, and stay in the hat for plum fixtures.
Impressive and kudos to you.

Flat fees are so tricky. But we risk this turning into a how much we earn an hour thread once you minus petrol.

The Supply League Whatsapp I am part of posted a post along the lines of "you don't do this for money".

Is what it is.

That’s exactly right. Although not a County Cup with my wife going away for two weekends in a row & having a 14 month lab that needs looking after, I had the choice of doggy sitting or finding someone to look after her so that I could do my football. Fortunately, her breeder is available and naturally at a cost, which is definitely fine. However, what it does mean is that by taking doggy care and car costs to 2 games where mileage will be approx 200-250 miles in total, I will be making a financial loss. Does/should it matter. Not for me on these occasions & it would be the same for a County Cup, taking the rough with the smooth.

Last edited:
That’s exactly right. Although not a County Cup with my wife going away for two weekends in a row & having a 14 month lab that needs looking after, I had the choice of doggy sitting or finding someone to look after her so that I could do my football. Fortunately, her breeder is available and naturally at a cost, which is definitely fine. However, what it does mean is that by taking doggy care and car costs to 2 games where mileage will be approx 200-250 miles in total, I will be making a financial loss. Does/should it matter. Not for me on these occasions & it would be the same for a County Cup, taking the rough with the smooth.
What is the smooth? Give me a scenario where reffing a county cup leaves you better off than reffing your local league?

Our County cup did, up until a few years ago, pay mileage but that was withdrawn and a flat fee imposed (£5 extra at the time).

What is the smooth? Give me a scenario where reffing a county cup leaves you better off than reffing your local league?

Our County cup did, up until a few years ago, pay mileage but that was withdrawn and a flat fee imposed (£5 extra at the time).
I think, if you read again, the county cup is the rough. You take the rough (i.e. the loss in his example provided) with the smooth i.e (all the other games where you don't make a loss or, as some view county appointments, the prestigious, opportunity to represent the county in their competitions).

Similar for me this week, taken off a step 4 middle to run the line on FA cup 2nd round qualifying. Whilst I was annoyed, given a choice I would rather a middle over a line, it was a great appointment to receive and was great to represent the County, with the team having a good day out on the green stuff. As @David G puts it sometimes you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

I think, if you read again, the county cup is the rough. You take the rough (i.e. the loss in his example provided) with the smooth i.e (all the other games where you don't make a loss or, as some view county appointments, the prestigious, opportunity to represent the county in their competitions).

Similar for me this week, taken off a step 4 middle to run the line on FA cup 2nd round qualifying. Whilst I was annoyed, given a choice I would rather a middle over a line, it was a great appointment to receive and was great to represent the County, with the team having a good day out on the green stuff. As @David G puts it sometimes you just have to take the rough with the smooth.
Always a bit difficult to start with, but then like you have done, come to accept it for what it is - still the most prestigious cup competition in the world. I had 2 Tuesday night appointments at Step 3 & 4, but both postponed because of FA Cup replays taking precedent with no replacement fixture. Disappointing because I was looking forward to both and no weather issues, but just have to accept at this time of the season when often occurs and look forward to the Saturday.

Always a bit difficult to start with, but then like you have done, come to accept it for what it is - still the most prestigious cup competition in the world. I had 2 Tuesday night appointments at Step 3 & 4, but both postponed because of FA Cup replays taking precedent with no replacement fixture. Disappointing because I was looking forward to both and no weather issues, but just have to accept at this time of the season when often occurs and look forward to the Saturday.
Yes. When you are only getting 2 middles a month maximum, generally, to lose one is gutting.

Back