A&H

Correct Restart after Cautioning Manager

Ge0rge

I had a game yesterday whereby a manager made a comment, whilst the ball was in play that I deemed to be worthy of a caution. I stopped the game, cautioned the coach and i then realised that I wasn’t sure of the correct restart?

Any help on what it would be would greatly appreciated :)

The Referee Store
Agree. Unless of course it's his team. In possession. In an attacking area. And he is in the other half. 😏
Yes, forget development points IMO
If the manager clearly deserves what's coming and his team is in possession, I've made the added statement of an IDFK to the opposition right in front of where he's standing. That's what the book say's, so that's what's happening. Mind you, on the occasion I applied the LOTG correctly in this manner, the offence was clear enough that I don't think anyone could argue
And it's a rare occurrence cos the oppo would normally have the ball in which case the 'advantage' should be played

Last edited:
For development advice though, think about whether you actually needed to stop the game. For coaches and managers it is much easier to wait until the ball goes dead then go over to them to caution.
Made this ‘mistake’ once. Ended up binning the coach because he couldn’t believe it was an IDFK against his team

Unless there is an advantage on what basis in law can you wait until the ball is out of play before sanctioning?

Unless there is an advantage on what basis in law can you wait until the ball is out of play before sanctioning?
Because it isn't impacting on play like a foul is. I do agree with the others in saying that if the offending manager's team is attacking it becomes poetic justice to break it up to penalise them, but invariably they are complaining because a decision has gone against them so play is likely to be going the other way.

Klopp dismissed today. Man City in possession when AT stopped the game
Anybody know if AT restarted correctly?

Klopp dismissed today. Man City in possession when AT stopped the game
Anybody know if AT restarted correctly?
No, he restarted with IDFK about 10-yards in from the touchline, and 30 yards forward from where the offence was. Free kick position was roughly where the ball was when he stopped play.

Back