A&H

Corner Kick Taken With Knee

the walloper

Burnley v Stoke last night; Charlie Adam slipping whilst taking a corner, he then hits the ball with his knee, and handles the ball to put it back in the quadrant to retake.

Officials signal for a defensive free kick, assuming ball is in play and then hand ball. Looks as though they had a bit of discussion for a second or two to determine what should happen.

For me, the ball is not in play as it has not been kicked, as per the laws. Should have been a retake in my opinion.

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/MATTYB00SH/status/849367672630517761

The Referee Store
I would read the law the same way, thus it would simply be a retake.

If the law said 'play the ball', different story. But it doesn't. One for the law exams I feel!

He certainly didn't 'kick' the ball, just looked a right Charlie.
Joking aside, I fail to see what could have been done differently once the AR has flagged. Would the referee have seen anything to doubt the AR was correct and Adam did indeed kick the ball?

I think it's fairly clear from the timing that they made that decision over comms and then the assistant flagged. It seems fairly likely that between them, they either thought that he did play it with his foot or they were unaware of the exact wording of the law.

I think it's fairly clear from the timing that they made that decision over comms and then the assistant flagged. It seems fairly likely that between them, they either thought that he did play it with his foot or they were unaware of the exact wording of the law.

more than likely neither were actually looking at the player when he slipped and just couldnt be sure if his foot made contact first, so erring on the side of the defence... i only saw it the once so cant be sure myself

Yeah, let's have the VAR check every corner kick to ensure they are kicked. :eek::angel:
And every other match incident just to be sure! In fact let's wait for a few days review the match and then go back and play it, until we get the right result. Jose @ Moan Utd will be pleased we go back to Ibra's disallowed goal and start from the equaliser.

or even, as per the golf related thread, maybe there should be a phone-in system open to the public...

press 1 for offside, press 2 for onside.... boooooop !
:)

AR struck me as having absolutely no idea how to handle the situation and made a right mess of it.
Kicked is with the foot. It wasn't. It wasn't put into play. It's a retake. Seems rather simple to me.

Back