The Ref Stop

Constant appealing

The Ginger Ref

Level 7 Referee
I've now had the chance to referee a few Sunday OA games (very much at the Dog and Duck level).

One of the most frustrating aspects I'm facing is the constant appeals from players, mostly for foul throws, hands in the back, and aerial contests.

I’ve tried speaking with both captains, and while they make a token effort to tell their teams to "get off the ref's back" it rarely has the intended effect. In some matches, it's mainly one team guilty of this behavior, which also leads to the opposition becoming frustrated.

I've even tried explaining certain decisions to players, such as the distinction between raising hands to protect personal space versus an actual push, which requires an extension of the arms. When it comes to throw-ins, I’ve used a line I picked up here: "It’s not pretty, but it’s legal."

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for handling this constant badgering? Is it best to just say "no" and "play on," or to simply ignore it? The latter seems risky, as it might come across like you're not paying attention.

The Ref Stop
With warning, I eventually make it clear I consider it dissent (not giving a foul is still a decision to be dissented), and that if it continues someone will be going in the bin.

Recognize low level dissent and act on it. The longer you wait the harder it gets.

The first time you get irked, pause the game, isolate the player, give the verbal warning. And try to show/communicate that the warning applies to more than just this player. Make the quacking sign, point a bit etc. Tell the player this is a show for everyone if you like. Much easier to card if it carries on.

Two really good bits of advice, but where do you draw the line?

As far as i'm aware, there is nothing in the good book to say players can't appeal for a decision? Similar to that infuriating appeal for a throw/corner when they know fully well it came off them last (this is never punished in the professional game but feels it falls into a similar category of dissent).

As far as i'm aware, there is nothing in the good book to say players can't appeal for a decision? Similar to that infuriating appeal for a throw/corner when they know fully well it came off them last (this is never punished in the professional game but feels it falls into a similar category of dissent).
Are you on the Promotion Scheme?
It's difficult for us to offer coaching via a Forum. What you really need is in-person mentoring and guidance from an experienced Referee
Generally speaking, the degree of wittering is inversely proportional to your level of experience. I think as you do tons more games and get comfortable in your own skin, you carry yourself differently at games to the point that players somehow know they're wasting their breath.
There's obviously the stepped approach, but it's about having the confidence to dismiss the noise as nonsense when you believe in yourself, but also the experience to navigate those occasions when you're not sure, without the players sensing feasting off the uncertainty we all face with some decisions in every game

I think also, rather than wish it away, you just have to embrace the 'language of football' for what it is and welcome the challenge

If i find a player appealing constantly and needlessly i tend to say something like "if you carry on and there's a 50-50 decision, you wont be getting the benefit of the doubt".

Generally has some effect.

You won't change this aspect of a player's game.
Over time, and in collusion with BCs post, you'll eventually learn two things:
1. To just zone it out as white noise.
2. A reusable stock of standard responses, particularly for appeals over pushing, pulling and "hands on" challenges which is where most of the whining comes from.
Loud shouts of things like "No! Nothing there! "That's okay! or "No! Come on, get on with it please!" can all help players know you've made your decision. Being consistent with it is the key.

2. A reusable stock of standard responses, particularly for appeals over pushing, pulling and "hands on" challenges which is where most of the whining comes from.
Loud shouts of things like "No! Nothing there! "That's okay! or "No! Come on, get on with it please!" can all help players know you've made your decision. Being consistent with it is the key.
I implemented a new version of the Stepped Approach on Saturday by saying to one player, 'FFS when will you pack in moaning?'
Words to that effect and fairly Public. Not advocating my alternative method as 'good practice', but I'd go as far as to say it worked on that occasion!
Would I be so bold with an Observer in earshot? They don't like the Victor Meldrew style regardless of how effective it proves to be

Last edited:

Other stock phrases for pushing in the back include "it's a touch, not a foul - letting him know he's there". "Other player/colour/number was backing in as well". "There's no arm extension/push, there's nothing there players".

I find these work well for me. Shows you've seen the arms out/touch but you can also see there's no offence.

I think also, rather than wish it away, you just have to embrace the 'language of football' for what it is and welcome the challenge
I just treat it as white noise. I sometimes tell them they are just wasting their breath as I won't be making a call based on their opinion. Sometines that works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't really care as it's just 'noise'!

I’m with you The Ginger Ref, players do just enough not to get the sin bin but ruin your day.

I keep telling myself not to get annoyed, but fail after about an hour of ‘match drivel’ & make sarcastic comments which doesn't achieve anything.

My stock phrase, ‘it’s just football contact, play on’

A clear aspect of football refereeing I haven’t found a good way to resolve.

One thing I would be cautious of is observers can be a little funny with you ignoring chirping.

As others have said, it is all white noise to me now. Genuinely doesn't bother me, I always confidentally and firmly reply to the chirps with something to let them know I acknowledge what they are saying and I don't agree with it.

I do start to react more robustly when it starts spreading but by then it is a genie out the bottle.

I have been watching a few referees on the supply league and the ones that impress me are often proactive against active moaning. Setting clear boundaries and as @santa sangria said, they isolate problem players and set out clear expectations.

I’m with you The Ginger Ref, players do just enough not to get the sin bin but ruin your day.

I keep telling myself not to get annoyed, but fail after about an hour of ‘match drivel’ & make sarcastic comments which doesn't achieve anything.

My stock phrase, ‘it’s just football contact, play on’

A clear aspect of football refereeing I haven’t found a good way to resolve.
Good one. I use “normal football contact” and things like “I thought you could play through that”… “I think it was both of you and no one really wants to hear a whistle there do they?”… “it was small but If I don’t give that and then you go and score, I’m gonna be in trouble with the fans/coaches/parents.”

Just on the back of this, the constant appealing, I just blank it out and say 'it's football, it happens, get on with it' or if someones went down a little bit on the easy side and it's never a foul and someones appealing, they'll get 'not my fault he's built like an ikea pencil' or 'it sounds like an iss-you not an iss-me'.. They soon shut up after that 😂

Back