A&H

Confused

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Saw this on twitter…

What do you think the RC is for? As it looks like a penalty has been given, and a subsequent RC - however with the double jeopardy rule, as it seems to be a genuine attempt for the ball, should it not be a YC?

Just to add - impressed with the no-nonsense approach for dissent. Pushing of the referee disappointing to see at this level though…

Last edited:
The Referee Store
That did not present well.

Ref was not convincing with the VAR-related signalling. And yes, it’s a yellow card.

The protests are to ne expected. Must have been some vebals for the straight red after the yellow for Medel.

Unfortunately it looked like the ref lost it here when he saw the monitor - was he gutted it was such an obvious pen, I dunno?

Looks like he gave a DFK to me.

Further, "the referee has brought this on himself - he took so long to look at this and make his decision". He took less than a minute!

Always looking to find fault with the referee to excuse the players

He's giving a free kick so it's a red card.

Edit he is correctly giving a free kick as contact is outside the box.

…DFK also explains why he went went over to the spot and pointed down with two hands.

This clip highlights how difficult it is for the ref to communicate a VAR-driven decision. Yes, there maybe a scoreboard or TV caption but it would be great if the referee could clearly communicate the decision - and not just draw the box.

Obvs the American football refs turn on the mic for these moments.

In hindsight the better process would have been to walk over to the spot for the direct free kick first, signal the free kick, then call the player and show the red card. It would have made it much easier to sell and invited less dissent. The way he did it there was like a gotcha moment.

The second red has been reported as a double yellow. An assistant must told him in the comms it's the second yellow.

Last edited:
See full incident, scroll down to video on

Was it really DOGSO? The attacker really doesn't seem balanced to shoot and sticks his leg out (which the defender kicks in trying to get the ball).

Ref plays advantage (or doesn't think it's a foul). Juve nearly score, ref seems to point for GK rather than penalty.

Why does it go to VAR?

And I'm not sure this looks really good:
1650278956886.png

And I'm not sure this looks really good:

Yeah, he's lost his composure really. It's a bad look, the switching between shouting and talking normally IMO. It just escalated the situation rather than calming it down.

For me this is great training material as to how not to present your VAR decision. Need to leave the screen very clear what decision you are giving & what sanction & why & how you are going to communicate it. All of these the referee failed on. Walked away, started TV signal, changed his mind flashed a red card, still not clear what the restart is? Shouting at players.

Note to self (I did this Saturday) do not shout/scream at players/managers, funny enough they shout back, you then have escalated in to a dissent issue.

This referee yelling his opinion, player yells his opinion back, are both referee & player guilty of dissent? lol.

Andre Mariner is very good after VAR check, he walks back, speak to captains explain decision if necessary, communicate the decision & then give & explain the sanction, one on one with perpetrator. Even an apology might help defuse the situation.

Yeah, he's lost his composure really. It's a bad look, the switching between shouting and talking normally IMO. It just escalated the situation rather than calming it down.
He's the Italian version of Lahoz seemingly, very demonstrative and "in your face". I also wonder if it is a bit of an Italian thing, obviously Collina was famous for it, but I also recall seeing Rosetti and Orsato being quite aggressive with players.

I would guess whatever Madel said here was highly offensive, given he went straight red rather than second yellow

For me this is great training material as to how not to present your VAR decision. Need to leave the screen very clear what decision you are giving & what sanction & why & how you are going to communicate it. All of these the referee failed on. Walked away, started TV signal, changed his mind flashed a red card, still not clear what the restart is? Shouting at players.

Note to self (I did this Saturday) do not shout/scream at players/managers, funny enough they shout back, you then have escalated in to a dissent issue.

This referee yelling his opinion, player yells his opinion back, are both referee & player guilty of dissent? lol.

Andre Mariner is very good after VAR check, he walks back, speak to captains explain decision if necessary, communicate the decision & then give & explain the sanction, one on one with perpetrator. Even an apology might help defuse the situation.
Only doing lines these days but years ago I did a middle in a youth tournament in Liverpool and got to tell the bench "Calm down, calm down". Brookside was still on TV and it was only when they laughed I realised how it sounded (from a Mancunian).

He's the Italian version of Lahoz seemingly, very demonstrative and "in your face". I also wonder if it is a bit of an Italian thing, obviously Collina was famous for it, but I also recall seeing Rosetti and Orsato being quite aggressive with players.

I would guess whatever Madel said here was highly offensive, given he went straight red rather than second yellow
I can guess it was along the lines of suggesting bias given that medel is later seen gesturing to his badge.

Just watched this clip on the sky sports youtube channel. Was extremely interesting to see a Referee use a dissent at that level of competition as players normally get away with that kind of thing. However it shows as a good warning when to not lose your composure so that people don't question your decisions.

Back